a sentence's meaning

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 04:30 am
what's the meaning of " i'm lovin' it "? How to explain the grammer ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 621 • Replies: 4
No top replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:07 am
@Victoriayuan,
The grammar in "I'm lovin' it" (verb in present continuous) is not standard English; neither is dropping the final "g" in the verb.

The advertising people who came up with that slogan assume the product's target market uses primarily or exclusively non-standard grammatical and syntactical forms of English. These are variously known as creoles, pidgins, dialects, patois, etc, and are usually found among less-educated people. If you're just starting to learn English you must start with the standard form, in which the McDonald slogan would read "I love it". Just be aware of the other forms.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:55 pm
There is an idea that verbs of state like 'like and love' do not take the progressive. Often that's the case, when the meaning is that which describes a state, eg. "I love her", which means that my love is the general/usual condition.

There are moments in life and therefore in language when we do use 'like/love' in a progressive sense. That's the sense that's being used in the collocation, "I'm lovin' it".

Here it can have a sense of "enjoying"at the present time, something which will continue for an unspoken but likely short period of time.

Quote:
High Seas wrote: The grammar in "I'm lovin' it" (verb in present continuous) is not standard English; neither is dropping the final "g" in the verb.

The advertising people who came up with that slogan assume the product's target market uses primarily or exclusively non-standard grammatical and syntactical forms of English. These are variously known as creoles, pidgins, dialects, patois, etc, and are usually found among less-educated people. If you're just starting to learn English you must start with the standard form, in which the McDonald slogan would read "I love it". Just be aware of the other forms.

This is so much hogwash, one hardly knows where to begin. First, High Seas knows nothing about language and how it works. When she has been asked to defend the nonsense she occasionally writes, she runs as fast and as far as she possibly can to avoid doing so.

Let's, just for the sake of argument, assume that it isn't Standard English. Nonstandard English is just as grammatical as Standard English, as she has noted. The language of all dialects is grammatical and logical.

As regards goin', this is part of a perfectly natural speech pattern that every speaker of English uses in informal situations.

The advertisers came up with a perfectly, though not really common use of English, which is, after all, what advertisers are noted for, language which will garner attention.
0 Replies

Victoriayuan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:28 pm
Thank you all!
High Seas

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 08:22 am
@Victoriayuan,
You're welcome, Victoria. If you would like to know more about similar advertising slogans, read this thread: http://able2know.org/topic/168582-1
0 Replies