Rhett Butler = Katie Scarlett O'Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler?

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 08:35 pm
If so, why call her Rhett? A nickname?

Context:

Scarlett O'Hara (full name Katie Scarlett O'Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler) is the protagonist in Margaret Mitchell's 1936 novel Gone with the Wind and in the later film of the same name. She also is the main character in the 1970 musical Scarlett and the 1991 book Scarlett, a sequel to Gone with the Wind that was written by Alexandra Ripley and adapted for a television mini-series in 1994. During early drafts of the original novel, Mitchell referred to her heroine as "Pansy", and did not decide on the name "Scarlett" until just before the novel went to print.[1]

Contents [hide]
1 Searching for Scarlett
2 Other Actresses Considered for Scarlett
3 Adaptations
4 Historical sources for the character
5 References

Searching for ScarlettWhile the studio and the public agreed that the part of Rhett Butler should go to Clark Gable (except for Clark Gable himself), casting for the role of Scarlett was a little harder. The search for an actress to play Scarlett in the film version of the novel famously drew the biggest names in the history of cinema, such as Bette Davis (whose casting as a Southern belle in Jezebel in 1938 took her out of contention), and Katharine Hepburn, who went so far as demanding an appointment with producer David O. Selznick and saying, "I am Scarlett O'Hara! The role is practically written for me." David replied rather bluntly, "I can't imagine Rhett Butler chasing you for ten years." Jean Arthur and Lucille Ball were also considered, as well as relatively unknown actress Doris Davenport. Susan Hayward was "discovered" when she tested for the part, and the career of Lana Turner developed quickly after her screen test. Tallulah Bankhead and Joan Bennett were widely considered to be the most likely choices until they were supplanted by Paulette Goddard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,509 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 08:37 pm
Rhett's the man, Scarlett's the lady.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 08:41 pm
@oristarA,
Rhett Butler is the flawed hero and Scarlett O'Hara is the heroine. It is a love story in the Civil War in Atlanta, Georgia written by Margaret Mitchell. Her father was the curator of the historical museum in Atlanta. She was writing to amuse herself. She then showed it to her friends who recommended that she publish her self-story.

Butler is the married name by marrying Rhett Butler.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 08:49 pm
Scarlett's father used to call his daughter by both her first and middle names, Katie Scarlett.

First she married Charles Hamilton, who was killed in battle, then she married Frank Kennedy, who was killed in trying to defend Scarlett's good name.

Finally she married Rhett Butler.

Here's an interesting youtube video showing some of the auditions for the role of Scarlett.

oristarA

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 08:57 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Scarlett's father used to call his daughter by both her first and middle names, Katie Scarlett.

First she married Charles Hamilton, who was killed in battle, then she married Frank Kennedy, who was killed in trying to defend Scarlett's good name.

Finally she married Rhett Butler.

Here's an interesting youtube video showing some of the auditions for the role of Scarlett.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xmfLHXiAhA[/youtube]

So the full name got a structure:

Katie Scarlett O'Hara (her original name) Hamilton (first husband) Kennedy (second husband) Butler (thired)?

Thank you all for replying.

chai2

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:10 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

So the full name got a structure:

Katie Scarlett O'Hara (her original name) Hamilton (first husband) Kennedy (second husband) Butler (thired)?

You got it!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:15 am
Frankly, my dear . . . I don't give a damn . . .

(You all knew somebody had to post it . . . )
oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Frankly, my dear . . . I don't give a damn . . .
(You all knew somebody had to post it . . . )

The very first rude word I've ever heard from good-tempered Setanta. Laughing
Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:30 am
@oristarA,
You must not get out much . . .

It's a quote from the motion picture version of Gone with the Wind, and it has become the most famous line from that movie. I don't know if that's in the book, because i've never read the book.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:37 am
Here's one of my favorite scenes....

(btw oristar, Tara is the name of the plantation (farm) her family owned)

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 08:05 am
Gerald O'Hara gives a talking to Katie Scarlett....

0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 04:01 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Her ancestors were Irish immigrants: a fact clearly made part of her enduring novel. The model for Scarlett Ohara's Tara was likely taken from plantation homes in and around Jonesboro.

Read more at Suite101: The Road to Tara: Jonesboro, Georgia is Home to Gone With the Wind http://www.suite101.com/content/the-road-to-tara-a77048#ixzz1FfddUWmJ

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-road-to-tara-a77048

Quote:
Tara is the name of the plantation (farm) her family owned

Quote:
Hill of TaraFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
Not to be confused with Tara Hill, County Wexford.
Hill of Tara
Teamhair na Rí

The Lia Fáil (Stone of Destiny) on the Hill of Tara, County Meath
Elevation 197 m (646 ft)
Prominence 180 m (591 ft)
Coordinates 53°34′39″N 6°36′43″W / 53.5775°N 6.61194°W / 53.5775; -6.61194Coordinates: 53°34′39″N 6°36′43″W / 53.5775°N 6.61194°W / 53.5775; -6.61194

The Hill of Tara (Irish Temair na Rí, "Hill of the Kings"), located near the River Boyne, is an archaeological complex that runs between Navan and Dunshaughlin in County Meath, Leinster, Ireland. It contains a number of ancient monuments, and, according to tradition, was the seat of Árd Rí na hÉireann, or the High King of Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_of_Tara
0 Replies