JTT

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:23 pm
@DrewDad,
That's hilarious, DD. I addressed each of your points specifically in Post: # 4,529,932. Then after you ran off on various tangents to divert attention from the nonsense you posted, I even addressed those points.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:34 pm
@High Seas,
I'm curious, HS, does the Mann Act apply to international borders or just state borders?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:45 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

JTT, I think people might take you a bit more seriously if you didn't post like an absolute bloody wanker.

Consider that JTT's native syntactical and grammatical structures aren't Western, and make some allowances. The French Justice minister appointed by President Sarkozy - an intelligent and capable woman, born / educated in France, but of North African linguistic surroundings at home, resigned because:
Quote:
.....in a discussion about the economy, Rachida Dati, formerly justice minister, coolly said “fellation” (fellatio) instead of “inflation”.

Whenever you have a moment, look up a US university professor who can't say "metamorphosis"; instead he pronounces and writes "metaformosis" <G>
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:53 pm
@High Seas,
How long before your "illnesses" clear up and you can get back on the job?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:53 pm
HS wrote:
The French Justice minister appointed by President Sarkozy - an intelligent and capable woman, born / educated in France, but of North African linguistic surroundings at home, resigned because:

Quote:
.....in a discussion about the economy, Rachida Dati, formerly justice minister, coolly said “fellation” (fellatio) instead of “inflation”.

That was not the real reason for her resignation but it made the day of many a political commentator..
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:54 pm
@Francis,
High Seas makes things up! Whodathunk it?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:57 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

That was not the real reason for her resignation but it made the day of many a political commentator..

Happy to defer to your superior knowledge of local affairs - no criticism of France was implied. As you know our politicians know even less than yours do: one of them climbed on his soapbox once and gave a speech starting: "Against inflation! Against deflation! For: flation!" (story via Mark Twain).
High Seas

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:00 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
... it made the day of many a political commentator..

It certainly made the day and week in all US/Canadian and EU economic papers, starting with The Economist http://www.economist.com/node/17911266
http://media.economist.com/images/images-magazine/2011/01/15/eu/20110115_eud002.jpg
Francis

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:02 pm
@High Seas,
I didn't take it as a criticism of France and even if it were, no problem there, we all have reasons to be criticized..
High Seas

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:07 pm
@Francis,
Do look up the "metamorphosis/metaformosis (sic)" professor; he now teaches at Princeton and regularly appears on TV and radio. Funnier even than JTT!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:07 pm
@High Seas,
I happen to agree that Sarkozy is a poor orator..
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 06:17 pm
@tanguatlay,
3 pages to finally reach a conclusive answer to your question: it is "fewer" (than 20) and not "less". Don't fall into the trap set by JTT - remember this book!
http://media.us.macmillan.com/jackets/258H/9780809028160.jpg
http://able2know.org/topic/168582-2#post-4531206
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 09:28 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
[the author] chronicles his studies of creoles—the bastard tongues of the title—isolated languages with dubious and disputed parentage spoken by the lower classes.

High Seas, always good for some lies/deception/fabrications/drivel as I've never seen it.

She stopped a bit short, hoping to malign, as she often does, the grammatical richness that is found in pidgins and creoles. Here's the continuation of her attempt to mislead.

Quote:
Bickerton seeks to explain creoles' linguistic anomaly: all creoles, though isolated from one another, have similar grammatical traits. This chatty, humorous memoir, laced with lucid analyses, shows how a creole initially seems to be a mishmash of nonsensical words (e.g., She mosi de bad mek she tek he), but is later revealed to be linguistically lush (translation: She could only have married him because she was completely broke). Most creoles, the author says, were created out of necessity due to the language divide that existed between imperialist states and their colonies, and

Bickerton theorizes that creoles are evidence of humans' innate language bioprogram that enables them to construct a new language out of [linguistic] bits and pieces. Creating a multifaceted, immersive approach to the study of linguistics, Bickerton explores the miraculous human capacity for language and how the emergence of creole languages represents a triumph of... the human spirit.

http://www.amazon.com/Bastard-Tongues-Trail-Blazing-Linguist-Languages/dp/0809028174

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:58 am
@tanguatlay,
Rafi counted 20 slices of pie but when I counted them there were/was only 17.

If the I has counted them the correct number should be given.

Is "were" or "was" correct?
McTag

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:39 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
a creole initially seems to be a mishmash of nonsensical words (e.g., She mosi de bad mek she tek he), but is later revealed to be linguistically lush

Apparently some individuals pull down quite big salaries despite writing crap like this.

Some african boys make splendid models of cars out of bits of twisted wire, most inventive, splendidly artistic and all that. But they don't enter them in the Paris-Dakar.
Francis

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:51 pm
McT wrote:
But they don't enter them in the Paris-Dacca.

That's because Bangladesh is quite far..
contrex

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:53 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

McT wrote:
But they don't enter them in the Paris-Dacca.

That's because Bangladesh is quite far..

And they would get wet in the Indian Ocean.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:54 pm
@Francis,

Touche, mon brave.

Dakar, sorry.
contrex

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:54 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Rafi counted 20 slices of pie but when I counted them there were/was only 17.

If the I has counted them the correct number should be given.

Is "were" or "was" correct?

Well, I think "were" is the answer, but JTT runs the English side of things at Able2know, so you'd better wait for his pronouncement.

contrex

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:55 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Touche

Touche-pipi?

0 Replies