What is your favorite possession?

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 12:14 am
There must be something in your house, that if your house caught on fire, you would run immediately for this item. Actually, I'll allow you to list up to three items. We'll figure the fire is spreading fast and you have time to grab three items. I don't care about the size or weight -- we'll consider that inconsequential for the sake of this query.

And, please, do not list photographs. Let's just say all your photos are securely tucked away in a bank vault.

Ok, here are my three items....

1.) Beautifully carved walnut Victorian couch (Empire style) from the early 1800's.

2.) A butternut box brought to America by Swedish immigrants. The box has an incredibly rich glow to it, has steel bands and the owner's name and address carved into the underside of the lid.

3.) An eagle, caved in walnut, lifesize, and which took a good portion of six months for me to complete. I have never spent so much time on one project -- I labored over this friggin' eagle for so long that I could never have the heart to sell it.

Ok... those are my three items.

What will you race for when the fire begins?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,694 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Ning

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:10 am
1) My Computer
2) My Computer
3) My Computer

Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:54 am
My motorcycle.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 02:08 am
I was, oddly, thinking about this the other day - and I have no idea! I will try to think it through some more.

Oh - the cats!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 02:33 am
I lost everything I'd ever written/painted/created a few years ago, so aside from the kids, I can't think of one thing I own which can't be replaced.

ok, ok besides pictues, a drawing of me - of the hour I was incarcerated - long story.... and a stained glass window I made. Oh and few things the kids made or wore as wee babes.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 05:56 am
My mom, son and Foo Foo, but if my family and pet are out of the house cousing trouble somewhere, then I would grab my computer, pictures and my craft stuff.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 08:10 am
The box full of Daddy has a Harbor Seal poems and pictures.

The Bally-Hoo pinball machine Mrs. SealPoet gave to me our first Christmas.

and I don't know about #3... the clay Budda my grandmother made? The incredibly disreputable Twinkies I've been passing back and forth with my mohter-in-law? The trunk full of colege era memories... I'd as soon let that burn.

Hell! If I could save one thing from the fire, it would be the house itself! Torch the contents if you must, but this old house in irreplaceable!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 09:43 am
Hey, Gus:(I'm assuming you mean material things)

1. sterling silver flatware

2. Victorian love seat with matching chair. (made of rosewood)

3. Gate-legged, drop leaf table (black walnut).

Those would be the easiest things to carry.

My husband, of course, would drag his acoustic bass out before me. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 09:54 am
My computer- I would be LOST without it.

A ceramic sculpture of a Chinese Pug that I made myself. It sits next to my computer, and never ceases to make me smile.

A "thingy" that I wear on a chain around my neck. My husband bought it for me, at least 20 years ago. I think that it cost $16-. We got it from an artist in Greenwich Village. Nobody can figure out what it represents, and people always love to guess.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 10:18 am
I love the Swedish armoire in my kitchen; my stainless steel cookware; my mandoline (kitchen, not musical). I love my 30 year old cashmere twin set. My new watch that looks like a sculptoral bracelet and an old Monet bracelet given my by the kids in my class when I student taught in the early 70s. The pearl earrings my daughter bought me in Spain are high on my list as well. There is a great picture taken of myself with my three children a few years back.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 10:28 am
Take as a given that the family is out and safe.....

cash box
guitar
marshall
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 11:04 am
My laptop.
My wedding rings and a couple of pairs of earrings that my husband bought for me.
The living room sofa that my father bought us for a housewarming gift. If there were a few moments to get any furniture out safely, I'd definitely go for that.
Everything else I'd be lost without is locked up in a fireproof/waterproof safe that would hopefully survive such a catastrophe.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 11:26 am
BBB
My paintings that I kept (since I no longer can paint) and some originals by other artists.

Oral history tapes and correspondence with my Aunt.

My computer that contains so much of my life and family history.

BBB
0 Replies

Dakota4x4

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:34 pm
after my family

my arms
my legs
and my arse

the insurance company will take care of the rest.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:53 pm
my Les Paul, My Strat, and my Yamaha Violin. Sad, aren't I? Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:03 pm
There's just too many damn material things and money; let it burn, baby, let it burn: Our health is the most important.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:24 pm
the two dogs and the album of old family photos that mrs. hamburger has given me temporary custody of. everything else, well, it can't really be replaced, but it's still just stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:28 pm
ok, i can't take the photos, so i'll take the car keys, so the little doggies and i can drive far away to recover from the fire.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:41 pm
assuming Pacco is out and away,

1) my outlines of research on/own thoughts on/ references about/ 50 italian piazzas

2) my favorite of my own paintings.

3) intricately crocheted bedspread from my grandmother

4) japanese urn with lid from mid 1800's (via father's mother), tucked into that bedspread.

Oh, gads, the stuff from my father from the Crossroads tests. Well, that bedspread can work like a napsack.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:45 pm
Good question, Gus. Do you have a picture of that eagle carving? Would love to see it.

I painted an eagle once. Now there was a bad painting. I copied (this was when I was first trying painting at all) a photo of an eagle from Newsweek magazine and for some reason unfathomable to me now, painted different feathers different colors, a foray into acrylics. This was/is one garish eagle, but he does have an eagle eye. It's in my ex bro in law's house, over the fireplace last I saw it, or maybe by now it is in the garage... This explanation was not to cast any negative thoughts in the way of Your Eagle.
0 Replies