Animals, Eating Meat and Moral Standing

bigstew

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:14 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
I agree that all of those things are important, but why are they morally significant? After all, it may be important to me that I put on my left shoe before I put on my right shoe, but that doesn't mean it's morally significant that I put on my left shoe first.

Without pre supposing a major ethical theory, I believe what interests means in general terms is merely the recognition of what another's preference is. How this becomes an ethical issue is when interests conflict. How you put your shoes on is one thing, what I do that might affect that interest is another. But lets not trivialize the importance of interests (not saying that you are). How you put your shoes on is not the same thing as being electrocuted, or being confined to complete isolation. We might say for people in general, they weight the latter more strongly. This in turn has to do with a person's very well being, no different from the strongs reasons why we attribute rights to life, liberty, and security. These sorts of interests are necessary for your moral well being. A choice of which shoe to put on isn't. If it is, I guess an argument would have to be made for that.

Quote:

You tell me. You're the one trying to justify your position, but after reading this thread I still have no idea what that position might be.

Because I see no difference between humans and animals that precludes animals from obtaining moral standing. If we try and distinguish humans from animals via some characteristic thought to be distinctive only to humans e.g. rationality, a problem arises because we have cases of humans who lack this characteristic e.g. infants, the cognitively impaired, comatose patients and yet they are granted moral consideration.

Lighting an infant on fire is wrong, and the same should go for lighting a cat on fire. But why? Because I argue animals obtain direct moral standing, that is, they themselves make a moral claim on us. Like our interests to avoid painand suffering, animals too have this strong interest. If we continue to survey the similarities between and animals, we can note many strong interests that are similar between the two.

These similarities, in my mind, are sufficient reasons to recognize the moral standing of animals. That is, we must consider the reasons behind our actions that affect animals. If our actions that harm the interests of animals (just like humans) arn't justifiable in a normative sense, then we lack good reason for those actions.
bigstew

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:32 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
My position is that non-human animals are not moral agents and do not have rights. Whatever moral obligations we have toward animals are the result of our own ethical choices. In other words, if we have a rule prohibiting cruelty to animals, it is because we view cruelty as wrong, not because the animals view it as wrong

Sorry- I don't mean to jump in here, but I think you raise an important point.

First, why do marginal cases (infants, severly retarded) whom lack the rational capacity for making ethical choices aquire rights but not animals. It is logically inconsistent.

Second, the standard you propose for rights is too high. Again, why assume self reflective rationality as a necessary condition for obtaining moral rights. This requirement is too strong, because obviously it would exclude marginal cases.

By comparison, why not accept the condition that so long as the object in question has a valid interest in furthering it's interests, that suffices for moral rights? Moral agency is one thing, but to be an object of moral concern is another. We need not collapse moral considerability into the category of moral agency, and it is obvious (given marginal cases) that we do not.

We can recognize that animals have values that we also consider morally significant (as do marginal cases), and that ought to suffice for moral consideration. We recognize their standing as a reason for how we ought to treat them, and that is due to our self reflective, normative nature. Animals may lack this characteristic, but it need not preclude them from our moral deliberations. The flip side, however, is that they do not obtain moral agency, but I don't see how this affects how we ought to view them as obtaining direct moral standing.
bigstew

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:35 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Even a single-celled protozoan will flinch from the sharp tip of a probe, yet I haven't seen PETA stage a whole lot of pro-amoeba marches lately. So either we accord rights to paramecia, or else there is some line in the animal kingdom below which the capacity to suffer is not morally significant.

I'm not a proposing that pain be the only interest of moral concern, though it certainly is important. With that said, you raise an interesting issue where the line begins to grow fuzzy, and I think what falls in and out of the scope of moral deliberation is contestable. However, this argument ought not to exclude those whom we know have strong interests not to be in pain e.g monkeys, dogs etc.
bigstew

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:38 pm
@Thomas,
Well put Thomas, well put.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:45 pm
@Setanta,
The entire "morality" ladder is drawn from marketing interests. When R Rodales movement of "organic gardening" became cool, marketing jumped aboard to create these items that distinguish much of the products from the "industrial" farming. I always get a kick out of trying to understand when a farm IS NOT industrial. Mine ceratinly is because Im raising only 2 producs and 3 support crops.
"Grass fed" is one of the latest market anthems for people to toss around. I "grass feed" my sheep in the summer because its cheap to maintain the herd. In the winter, we supplement themm with high protein orchard grass hay (a relatively new development in ag science).We also feed a grain and molasses ration to both cattle and sheep.
At market time, we take lambs and finished yearlings (sheep) to market and, I sewar, without having been asked, these lambs get mixed into a mass of "Club lambs" for sales in the big city markets and are soled as "Grass fed". Im amused since the return for grass fed is a premium and it didnt even occur at my level.

Marketing is where all the morals are discussed and magic happens

Quote:

They really push the Angus beef thing here in Canadia. I've never known any difference in taste in beef, other than that between ground chuck and ground round when buying hamburger, and that's a function of the higher fact (sic)content [/quote ]Noone can, they just think they can. I can make an old holstein cow taste really great by propr finishing and letting her laze about in a paddock. ANyway, there are about 5 or 6 different breeds that are actually sold as "Angus" Im amazed that US consumers dont storm the US D A. Our govt doesnt give a rats ass about truth in advertising. Hell look at these stupid "fat loss" and "make 10000 a month from your home computer" ads that swell up the Cable stations at night. How many people actually believe that ****? (God damn , dont answer that, Ive already been waay too amused at this thread)
bigstew

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

There are plenty of ways one can argue that the comatose are entitled to moral consideration without arguing that the capacity to suffer is morally significant. A Rawlsian, for instance, might argue that, from a neutral position, it is better that people be accorded moral standing even when they're comatose than to allow open season on all comatose individuals. Indeed, a rule utilitarian would probably make the same argument -- and without the need to resort to any Benthamite circumlocutions about the capacity to suffer.

Here is the thing Joe, and it may not suffice for you, but it is more to the point of this thread. Supposing a particular ethical theory is obviously going to lead to disagreement about particular issues, since that is the nature of the ongoing debate within the field of ethics. The point of this thread, was merely to propose an incompletely theorized argument, that is, to discuss the general points we can agree on, without going deep into the issue with a particular ethical theory.

My general point was that animals, like humans have interests, and these interests warrant direct moral standing (moral standing being the primary issue at hand in this thread). The implications for what we ought to do may vary (depending on a ethical theory being argued in depth), but a general level we can agree that even most ethical theories can agree that certain actions are wrong e.g. animal cruelty. I think this has implications for widespread practices such as factory farming.

Again, this may not be enough "meaty" argument for you (haha), but I just wanted to let you know where I am coming from. I appreciatte your informative contribution.
bigstew

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
But to me, focusing on ending animal cruelty through a variety of reforms and means is more effective than making the case that it's morally wrong to eat meat at all. This is where I think a lot of advocates on the veggie side go wrong: they are picking the wrong argument with people

But why is animal cruelty wrong? What is the justification for that judgement? I think that is why the animal rights argument comes into play. Of course no one likes to be told what they are doing is morally wrong, but that is beside the point. The purpose here is to offer a normative argument concerning how we ought to treat animals.

Quote:

I do eat meat at restaurants, which I can't vouch for the care of the animal. But I buy my meat at home from a local ranching co-op that visits my farmers market; free-range, grass-fed, happy cows. The meat does taste better, though it is much more expensive... it's worth it though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a vegetarian, but I'm far from perfect. Though I don't eat any meat, I'm more than certain some of my food and other goods contains traces of animal prducts/animal testing. Though I try to watch out for it, I don't expect myself, nor anyone else in my position for that matter to be perfect. Even a little bit of good is progress in the right direction, and we all pick and choose our battles.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 07:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
The ability of those non-humans to assert their own rights.

By this logic, comatose patients should also have no rights, because they can't assert their own rights either. What gives?

joefromchicago wrote:
But then I'm not sure why you're even interested in discussing rights. There's always a beyond-the-looking-glass kind of quality to any discussion of "rights" with a utilitarian. After all, there are no "rights" in utilitarianism, just rules that are more or less utile.

There are rights in Utilitarianism. They're just derived rather than axiomatic. Or to rephrase it in your language, "rights" is a one-syllable word for some of the "rules that are more utile". But that's different from saying "there are no rights". It's saying that "there are rights, and this is what they're made for".

joefromchicago wrote:
That's fine. All we have to do, then, is knock out the animals and then we can do anything we want with them, since, although they have the capacity to suffer, they don't have the capacity for anxiety. That's a rather odd position, but I suppose it can be defended.

Fine with me.

joefromchicago wrote:
I'm far more confident that paramecia suffer than that they act morally. The first one that asserts that it is entitled to moral consideration will, however, have my undivided attention.

You still do have my undivided attention on the question how comatose patients can act morally.

Thomas wrote:
If those rights are their rights, then why the comparison?

Because there can arise cases where we must resolve a conflict between rights, and where the comparison is necessary to make the utility-maximizing tradeoff.

Thomas wrote:
And if you assert that humans surpass animals in their capacity to suffer, upon what do you base that?

On our capability to imagine different possible futures for ourselves for years out, on our obvious capability to suffer or rejoice in those imaginations, and on the inability of animals to do the same, to the best of our zoological knowledge.

joefromchicago wrote:
Why stop there? We don't know if we're going to be born as a tree either, so we might as well accord rights to plants.

I agree on both points. We don't know, and we might. I just don't think that would change the laws of the society I'd want to be born into. After all, if I was a tree, I couldn't experience any pain, so couldn't be helped or harmed by the legal and moral rules of that society.

joefromchicago wrote:
Factoring in the possibility of being born a dog rather than a human doesn't make much sense, since, if you were born a dog, you wouldn't be talking about morality -- you'd be talking about squirrels.

The same argument could be made against according rights to mentally disabled humans who can't reason about rights. Don't make me reread Rawls (1971) right now, because I'm still not finished with Kant. But I'm pretty sure that he does want a society with rights for the mentally disabled. I'm also pretty sure that he would justify them from an original position that accounts for the possibility of us being born mentally handicapped.
bigstew

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:00 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I think big Stew exemplifies this naive sense of how food is raised. Being a vegetarian as a statement of environmental concern or some moral twinge about animal cruelty needs to be braced with some education by visiting a mushroom farm or fruit farm or any vegetable truck farm. The support facilities for such opeartions include some very toxic substances that are applied in ten thousand gallon tanks and low sprayers or "big wheel" direct applicators. You need to spend as much time (if you wish to become "food activists") concerning yourself with all mthods of food production. To make it an "US V THEM" discussion that is a feel good for veggies, then you just dont know as much as you think about how veggies are farmed , delivered, and marketed.

Hey man, nowhere do I claim that the agricultural industry is a perfect example of food production. Of course there are well known problems associatted with it, but these concerns arn't relevant to the argument at hand. If you think these concerns do raise ethical problems, go ahead and discuss, but start a new thread. Here we are concerned with the moral standing of animals, which relates to how animals are used in food production.

Not all meat producers utilize factory farm conditions e.g. http://www.farmforward.com/. Though I sincerely agree that what they are doing is much better than factory farming, when push comes to shove, it still doesn't make it right. Does it seem coherent to take half measures with slavery?
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:20 pm
@bigstew,
Quote:
Hey man, nowhere do I claim that the agricultural industry is a perfect example of food production
Yeh, Agreed , that was Fart.

Quote:
Here we are concerned with the moral standing of animals, which relates to how animals are used in food production.

Hence the term "factory farm" which Ive submitted that most of you do not even understand the meaning of. Even with the link posted, I submit that , in order to be economically viable "cruelty" will be practiced.

Quote:
it still doesn't make it right. Does it seem coherent to take half measures with slavery?
Slavery is a violation of HUMAN RIGHTS(natural law and derived law).
Animals have no similar standing, nor to carrots and rutabaga as far as I understand. Conferring such status on these life forms becomes a religious belief ( Fortunately, in the US yours cannot interfere with mine)

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:56 pm
@Thomas,
PS: sorry for the misattributions in that post. Every occurrence of the phrase "Thomas wrote" should be read as "joefromchicago wrote".
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 09:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Hey man, nowhere do I claim that the agricultural industry is a perfect example of food production
Yeh, Agreed , that was Fart.

When did I do that?

farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Here we are concerned with the moral standing of animals, which relates to how animals are used in food production.
Hence the term "factory farm" which Ive submitted that most of you do not even understand the meaning of. Even with the link posted, I submit that , in order to be economically viable "cruelty" will be practiced.

That's a pretty flimsy defense: Cruelty is cheap so ignore any moral or ethical impact. That's pure ignorance.

farmerman wrote:

Quote:
it still doesn't make it right. Does it seem coherent to take half measures with slavery?
Slavery is a violation of HUMAN RIGHTS(natural law and derived law).
Animals have no similar standing, nor to carrots and rutabaga as far as I understand. Conferring such status on these life forms becomes a religious belief ( Fortunately, in the US yours cannot interfere with mine)

The same economic arguments were made about cotton production in regards to slavery as your argument made to food production.

How would that make it a religious belief? Also, when did anyone here say you can't do anything? When has that been proposed at all? Nobody is stepping on your choice to do or eat whatever you wish. We are discussing if it is ethical, and if the means of obtaining it is ethical.

The conversation here is pretty interesting so far, but the ethics of meat are not solely confined to the idea of animals having moral standing. Even if you grant no moral standing to animals and view them entirely as a commodity to be done with as you wish, we can evaluate the usage of said commodity in terms of ethics as well.

For instance, if humans are starving, and resources are being routed so some may enjoy the luxury of meat while others starve and die of thirst, there exists a moral question of equity, and of responsibility to manage resources.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:17 pm
Referring to animal husbandry as 'slavery,' as some have here, is a little bit of a stretch.

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Referring to animal husbandry as 'slavery,' as some have here, is a little bit of a stretch.

Not that it is my argument, but it's not that far of a stretch. Certainly, the opposite was viewed to be true at one time--that slavery was a form of animal husbandry.

A
R
T
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:13 am
@bigstew,
I log in this morning and see that I have five posts directed to me. As a result, I will necessarily be brief:

bigstew wrote:
Without pre supposing a major ethical theory...

Don't kid yourself. Of course you're presupposing some sort of ethical theory. You're presupposing morality, so you have to have some sort of theory. You may not know which one, but have one.

bigstew wrote:
But lets not trivialize the importance of interests (not saying that you are).

Why are "interests" morally significant?

bigstew wrote:
This in turn has to do with a person's very well being, no different from the strongs reasons why we attribute rights to life, liberty, and security. These sorts of interests are necessary for your moral well being.

Liberty is necessary for morality? Really?

bigstew wrote:
Because I see no difference between humans and animals that precludes animals from obtaining moral standing. If we try and distinguish humans from animals via some characteristic thought to be distinctive only to humans e.g. rationality, a problem arises because we have cases of humans who lack this characteristic e.g. infants, the cognitively impaired, comatose patients and yet they are granted moral consideration.

Well, there's one characteristic that humans possess and that non-human animals lack: humanity. In any event, although any theory that bases morality on some human characteristic must account for those humans who lack that characteristic, that doesn't mean there aren't good arguments to be made. Just because you haven't found a good argument to distinguish a comatose human from a dog doesn't mean there aren't any.

bigstew wrote:
Lighting an infant on fire is wrong, and the same should go for lighting a cat on fire. But why? Because I argue animals obtain direct moral standing, that is, they themselves make a moral claim on us. Like our interests to avoid painand suffering, animals too have this strong interest. If we continue to survey the similarities between and animals, we can note many strong interests that are similar between the two.

No doubt. But then we also have an interest in liberty (as you point out above), yet we own animals without any moral compunction. How do you explain that discrepancy?

bigstew wrote:
These similarities, in my mind, are sufficient reasons to recognize the moral standing of animals. That is, we must consider the reasons behind our actions that affect animals. If our actions that harm the interests of animals (just like humans) arn't justifiable in a normative sense, then we lack good reason for those actions.

You're confused. That's not about animal's rights, that's about human obligations.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:18 am
@bigstew,
bigstew wrote:
First, why do marginal cases (infants, severly retarded) whom lack the rational capacity for making ethical choices aquire rights but not animals. It is logically inconsistent.

No, not really. As I've pointed out, from a utilitarian perspective, it's utile to have a rule protecting infants and the cognitively impaired because to do otherwise would set a bad example. A Rawlsian would approach it from the original position and arrive at the same end. A Kantian would say that one cannot adopt a rule allowing some people to be killed without willing the end of all prohibitions against murder.

bigstew wrote:
Second, the standard you propose for rights is too high. Again, why assume self reflective rationality as a necessary condition for obtaining moral rights. This requirement is too strong, because obviously it would exclude marginal cases.

Not necessarily. See above.

bigstew wrote:
By comparison, why not accept the condition that so long as the object in question has a valid interest in furthering it's interests, that suffices for moral rights?

Who defines those interests?

bigstew wrote:
We can recognize that animals have values that we also consider morally significant (as do marginal cases), and that ought to suffice for moral consideration.

No doubt you've consulted the animals about their interests before making this statement.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:20 am
@bigstew,
bigstew wrote:
I'm not a proposing that pain be the only interest of moral concern, though it certainly is important. With that said, you raise an interesting issue where the line begins to grow fuzzy, and I think what falls in and out of the scope of moral deliberation is contestable. However, this argument ought not to exclude those whom we know have strong interests not to be in pain e.g monkeys, dogs etc.

Why is it contestable? According to you, if an animal has interests, then those interests are morally significant. Who gets to decide whose interests are important and whose are not?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:24 am
@bigstew,
bigstew wrote:
Here is the thing Joe, and it may not suffice for you, but it is more to the point of this thread. Supposing a particular ethical theory is obviously going to lead to disagreement about particular issues, since that is the nature of the ongoing debate within the field of ethics. The point of this thread, was merely to propose an incompletely theorized argument, that is, to discuss the general points we can agree on, without going deep into the issue with a particular ethical theory.

Here is the thing, bigstew: you can't do that. If you want to talk about ethics, then you have to have some sort of theory of ethics. It might be incompletely thought out and badly expressed, as yours seems to be, but you have to have it.

bigstew wrote:
My general point was that animals, like humans have interests, and these interests warrant direct moral standing (moral standing being the primary issue at hand in this thread).

That's debatable.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:39 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
The ability of those non-humans to assert their own rights.

By this logic, comatose patients should also have no rights, because they can't assert their own rights either. What gives?

There's no requirement that everyone be able to articulate their own moral preferences, just as there's no requirement, in social contract theory, that everyone express consent to the social contract. It is, however, necessary that someone in the category has moral agency.

Thomas wrote:
There are rights in Utilitarianism.

Go ahead: pull the other one.

Thomas wrote:
They're just derived rather than axiomatic. Or to rephrase it in your language, "rights" is a one-syllable word for some of the "rules that are more utile". But that's different from saying "there are no rights". It's saying that "there are rights, and this is what they're made for".

There you go again. Wanting to have you utilitarian cake and eat it too.

Thomas wrote:
Because there can arise cases where we must resolve a conflict between rights, and where the comparison is necessary to make the utility-maximizing tradeoff.

That's a different question. I'm not asking if there are higher-order rules in the event of a tie. I'm asking why some entities' rights are calibrated against some other entity's rights. For instance, why should a dog have 75% of a human's rights, on the assumption that a dog has 75% of a human's capacity to suffer? Why not make the same comparison between humans?

Thomas wrote:
On our capability to imagine different possible futures for ourselves for years out, on our obvious capability to suffer or rejoice in those imaginations, and on the inability of animals to do the same, to the best of our zoological knowledge.

Have you asked a dog what it thinks about that?

Thomas wrote:
I agree on both points. We don't know, and we might. I just don't think that would change the laws of the society I'd want to be born into. After all, if I was a tree, I couldn't experience any pain, so couldn't be helped or harmed by the legal and moral rules of that society.

As Thomas Nagel would point out, you have no idea what it would be like to be a tree.

Thomas wrote:
The same argument could be made against according rights to mentally disabled humans who can't reason about rights. Don't make me reread Rawls (1971) right now, because I'm still not finished with Kant. But I'm pretty sure that he does want a society with rights for the mentally disabled. I'm also pretty sure that he would justify them from an original position that accounts for the possibility of us being born mentally handicapped.

Yep. But that doesn't mean that we should also take into account the possibility of being born a dog.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 10:24 am
@farmerman,
I knew a gent in New Mexico who worked in Albequerque as a handyman in the day time, and did the heavy farm labor at home at night. In the daytime, his wife and oldest daughter kept the "truck garden." Much as was the case at home in my childhood, they produced nearly all the vegetables they ate and much of the fruit. When he took to his house, his wife and oldest daugher were making ketchup and stewed tomatoes--from the piles of bushel baskets of tomatoes they had picked that day and the day before.

He had three milch cows, and about 20 steers. These animals were all grazed on BLM land, which was just down the ridge from him. It is pretty common in the west for people to get a permit (for a pittance) to graze on BLM land. The cows produced the milk for the children, and even some surplus to trade to the neighbors. His wife kept chickens for the egg money and their own consumption. The steers were cash on the hoof. If he needed some cash, he could sell of a steer or two. About his only cost was for the bull to service his cows.

Anything beyond an example like his is industrial farming, no matter what people chose to call it. He said as much himself, and said he wouldn't bother for any other reason than to feed his family.

It's just isn't worth it to farm large tracts of land for anything other than a monoculture--and in the southwest, you're not going to have enough land to graze cattle for slaughter. There, feed lots are the only thing that makes sense for livestock production. On our piece of land north of Santa Fe, we boarded horses for the local Indians (no longer allowed to steal horses from the white boys, they'd steal them from one another--those who valued their horses often boarded them). We figured we needed about ten acres on the lower fields (we were above 6000 feet, with the lower fields between 5500 and 6000 feet) and about 15 acres on the home farm--per animal. The Hollywood image of cattle grazing out on the range just don't work no more.

There's more than six billion people on this planet. They're not going to get fed without industrial farming techniques. It makes no odds between livestock production and the production of grain, vegetables or fruit, either. Every objection which can be raised about the "waste" of livestock production can be countered with the truth about erosion and chemical run-off.

Which is why, i suspect, that those opposed to the eating of meat try to make it about morality.
0 Replies