Keep a $900 Computer I Didn't Buy?

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 08:54 pm
Hi. I really don't know what to do here, so I am seeking help. My name is Nathan and I order from Amazon.com frequently. I ordered toilet paper and instead got a $900 laptop I didn't order. There was a shipping error, but because it was mailed and addressed to me, it is my laptop and Amazon.com said I could keep it. I can't tell if this is a reward or a trap for me. If I do keep it, I will give all the money I have on me (over $150) to charity and donate a large sum of my clothes to Goodwill. I haven't opened it. Should I keep the laptop and donate or should I return it back to Amazon.com even though I legally can keep it. What do I do? I can't tell what the right thing is.

roger

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 09:19 pm
@NathanCooperJones,
IF they said you can keep it, keep it. Save the documentation from Amazon forever. End of obligation.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 09:25 pm
@roger,
Yeah, that's a big IF they said you could keep it.

That doesn't make sense you bought TP and got a computer. Maybe the CSR misunderstood you?

Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 09:36 pm
@chai2,
Sure thing. Send me toilet paper sounds just like send me a computer.

Do you really think we're to believe that Amazon is going to tell you to keep a $900 computer? Come ON now!

Wait a minute here! Who orders toilet paper online? Toilet paper? I smell a ....rat...yeah, that's what I smell.
NathanCooperJones

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:33 pm
@Ragman,
No, not a rat. I ordered it because I was sick and did not feel like going to the store. I put it on subscribe and save to save money, but a shopping malfunction got me a computer. So I should keep it? Is that ethical?
roger

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:44 pm
@NathanCooperJones,
Again, yes, IF you can document that they instructed you to keep it without obligation. Are you going to complain if they bill you for the toilet paper?

Oh, if they offer toilet paper on Amazon, I'm sure enough people are buying it to make it worth their while.

ETA If you decide to return it in spite of advice to the contrary, be sure to contact Amazon for an RMA before doing so.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:56 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Who orders toilet paper online?

apparently a lot of people if you go by what's available just on amazon
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:57 pm
@Ragman,
the #1 seller is a carton of 80 rolls for $45
free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Pacific-Envision-Embossed-Bathroom-Tissue/dp/B0040ZFAQ0/ref=zg_bs_3310294011_1
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 11:16 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Who orders toilet paper online? Toilet paper?

I do. We have Amazon Prime and are not charged shipping charges. I use the Subscribe and Save service and get a 15% discount on top of the already discounted price from what the grocery stores charge. Sometimes there are additional coupon discounts.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 11:18 pm
@NathanCooperJones,
Nathan,

If it were me, I would send an email to their customer service telling them what happened and what you were told by their representative. Ask if you will be charged the price if you decide to keep it. Ask them to confirm this by responding to you in an email.

I suspect that Amazon will be very interested in knowing which service rep told you to keep a $900 computer shipped in error. That's a lot of loss to absorb.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 01:22 am
@NathanCooperJones,
In any computer/toilet paper shipping fiasco it's often a case of where to begin.

Let's try and gather some evidence, working from the outside in.

Somewhere, someone is trying to plug in a $900 shipload of toilet paper.

Or else the story is untrue and it's purpose is to malign the identity "NathanCooperJones" who owns a website under that name.

Balance of probabilities, delete the thread.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 05:52 am
If it's too good to be true . . .

Call them again and confirm what to do with a mistake in an order. You have an unwanted product.

They have a return policy. They will even pay shipping.

This might be a scam. Follow up on it with official Amazon staff.

(We used to order pizzas for other people all the time, knowing it would never be picked up. The staff ate the mistakes.)

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 05:56 am
We order TP from Amazon. It's comparable in price and easier to lug home. But I digress.

Yes - get documentation for the "you can keep it".
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 06:26 am
@Butrflynet,
to the OP:

Thanks for the correction. I would've thought that due to the bulk and size of packaging that any savings you'd have realized would be lost in shipping charges. I don't have Amazon Prime so perhaps I don't see those sort of bennies (Subscribe and Save).

In terms of my making use of that TP offer ...of course, I've nowhere near the space to store 80 rolls but I could split the order with others, too. However, I could surely use that $900 laptop.

I'd make sure Amazon re-confirms in writing that keeping the computer is acceptable. I thought of a scenario where if you were using the computer in a home-based business and there were tax implications, you'd need proof of what you paid ...and the taxes on it...etc.
Linkat

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 06:47 am
@NathanCooperJones,
If you reported it to amazon as an error and they said keep it - amazon is giving this to you. This is a gift and you can keep it without any guilt.

It simply sounds like a mistake on shipping - not that they are trying to trap you. Often times, companies will give a reward or compensate you for an error (not usually in the $900 range) but maybe it is easier for them to just give it to you than pay for the shipping back.

Just as others say here - keep the documentation that supports they said to keep it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 07:48 am
@NathanCooperJones,
You're talking about grand theft larceny. Somewhere, someone ordered a laptop. It's likely he or she got your toilet paper.

I really don't believe Amazon.com has or will ever tell you to keep such a large ticket item. There's a big difference between letting you keep a $900 laptop and when they told me to keep a $10 music CD I bought as a favor for a friend who later didn't want it so we tried to send it back but Amazon decided to let us keep the CD and still refund my money.
chai2

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 08:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm in agreement with you tsar.

My feelings are he spoke to a CSR that misunderstood what the OP was saying.

Several times I've spoken either on the phone or through chat with a CSR regarding an issue (not necessarily Amazon) and what I was told would happen, or was adviced to do did sound right. I've turned around and just called the company again, and gotten someone else who told me something that made sense.

Me? If I were told to keep a $900 item, my response would be "Wait, are you sure? I'd like to speak to someone else (the supervisor) to make sure."

In your example with the CD, yeah. It's truly not worth it to Amazon to go through the hasssle of the return of some items, and it's a gesture of goodwill.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 09:07 am
Thinking about driving off with a new Buick and then calling to see if they want it back.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 12:29 pm
@Ragman,
You don't need to order 80 rolls. I order as few as 20 every month.

You also don't need Amazon Prime to use subscribe and save, but the shipping charges will outweigh any savings. We order enough from Amazon to more than justify the Amazon Prime annual fee in saved shipping charges and other discounts.

Here's a starting point in their help section on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201125870
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 08:18 am
@NathanCooperJones,
Were you raised by wolves? Return it, it isn't your's and exploiting other people's mistakes is unethical.