Sound Restoration Software?

MrIVI

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:52 am
What do people recommend for Sound Restoration software. I used DC Live for a while, and was reasonably happy with it, but then the trial version ran out, and I didn't see that it was worth the $1,400 being that it really wasn't that much better than Sound Forge. What are people recommending though?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,280 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:52 am
@MrIVI,
You've already asked this question several times on A2K.
MrIVI

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:50 pm
@Ragman,
I figured someone would tell me that.
Actually, no. I asked about Sound Editing Software that allowed the user to draw/correct sound with a pencil tool.
Then I asked about favorite Sound Editing Softwares.
But sound restoration is a very specific subset of sound design tools. They definitely have some over lap. But no, this time I'm interested in Sound Restoration in Particular.
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 07:59 am
@MrIVI,
If what you had with that trial-version of DC Live was decent and accomplished your task, then why not try to negotiate a dioscount with the business that designed it? If that doesn't work, what you're looking for is to do tasks that are so esoteric and specific that you might be on a 'mission impossible'.

Are you going to be making money from your sound project? If so, you might want to reconsider trying to do this 'on the cheap'

Being a techy and an audiophile, I'm fairly knowledgable about technical aspects of recording, but for the life of me I can't understand how the same software can't be used to accomplish both types of projects. I'm not seeing the distinction.

Unless what you think you want is such esoteric software with a GUI that is so tailored to accomplish those specific tasks in a production mode? If that is the case, you probably want to talk with someone that works in the industry at a engineering studio..or the record industry.

Or is that your task and projects is/are transcribing vinyl or other media music onto CDs and want to get rid of poor equalization, ticks/pops etc, out of the music. Are you trying to fix poorly mastered media to fix recordings from older technology so the music sounds better. Or am I just guessing at your purpose.

Regardless of what the task really is, have you tried using Google to see what's available for shareware on the Internet. I typed in keyword 'sound restoration software' and got the following hits:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/AUDIO_RESTORATION/
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 08:32 am
@MrIVI,
Here's another link to music mixing publication that could lead you to what you might be seeking, the article on the linked page is specifically addressing sound restoration software:
http://mixonline.com/gear/buyersguides/sound_restoration_software/
There are reviews there specifically that talk about 'audio renewal' and sound restoration proggies that are those estoeric programs - right up your alley.

And...here's one more last thought:

As I look over many of your previous posts, your background is that you've a degree in computer programming. You've got avery knowledgable perspective at this point. Perhaps what you really are looking for is the equivalent of a 'free lunch'. You've already found suitable software (your own words) d/l with free trials. You know the tools pretty well and, as a programmer, you've far more specific industry knowledge than most (or all) of the people who are regulars here. I'm not sure how anyone can help you any further? I know that I can't, so I'll shut-up. LOL
0 Replies