Should "in a wind" be "in the wind"?

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 03:25 am
Context:
As a Editor, I have from time to time in this column offered advice to authors on the desirable elements of a good research report. Like contrary children, for some authors such advice seems to vanish like smoke in a wind. So I take here a di?erent approach, based on the idea that some folks have a knack for doing the opposite of what is recommended to them (like contrary children). I present some guidelines for how to prepare a research report that is variously boring, confusing, misleading, or generally uninformative. Whether the author’s project is imaginative (or not) and the experiments are done with skill (or not) and the data are scienti?cally meaningful (or not) is irrelevant. My advice is solely based on principles of presenting the objectives, experiments, results, and conclusion in a fashion that as such no one will ?nish reading them or, if they do, readers will have little chance of understanding or remembering them. Like any form of skillful writing, following the rules below for awful writing requires practice and a lack of mental concentration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 419 • Replies: 2
No top replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 05:35 am
@oristarA,
in the wind is more familiar and colloquial

i feel that giving advice is like p ing into the wind so i'm not wet behind the ears necessarily
oristarA

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 05:41 am
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

in the wind is more familiar and colloquial

Thanks.

laughoutlood wrote:

i feel that giving advice is like p ing into the wind so i'm not wet behind the ears necessarily

What are you saying?

0 Replies