Why the anti-union animosity?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:15 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Here's another thing that irritates me about public employee unions. They wages earned are paid by taxpayers. Union dues are removed from wages so that non-public employees can represent their membership at the so-called bargaining table with the goal of getting the employer, which is US, to fork over more money. So, we the taxpayers are funding the unions, whose job it is to get more money out of us.

Well, to be accurate, their job is to protect their clients from us.

And that's a good job, and a valid one! Because, as you know: the public as a whole are dicks.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:19 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
So, we the taxpayers are funding the unions, whose job it is to get more money out of us.
Through both increased compensation as well as lobbying for big government. However, this is not a lot different from Boeing taking a slice of defense contract payments to pay for lobbyists and PAC's who give money to political campaigns and argue for increased defense purchases.

There is a lot of pressuring to grow government by folks who dont pay the bills, using our money to do so. You will see in the rape thread that this is what I argue that the feminists have done.....this scam is everywhere.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:41 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Here's another thing that irritates me about public employee unions. They wages earned are paid by taxpayers. Union dues are removed from wages so that non-public employees can represent their membership at the so-called bargaining table with the goal of getting the employer, which is US, to fork over more money. So, we the taxpayers are funding the unions, whose job it is to get more money out of us.

I just want to expand on this more. Because it's a very inaccurate way of looking at things.

Let's take WI for an example:

http://www.tax.com/taxcom/taxblog.nsf/Permalink/UBEN-8EDJYS?OpenDocument

Quote:
Economic nonsense is being reported as fact in most of the news reports on the Wisconsin dispute, the product of a breakdown of skepticism among journalists multiplied by their lack of understanding of basic economic principles.

Gov. Scott Walker says he wants state workers covered by collective bargaining agreements to “contribute more” to their pension and health insurance plans.

Accepting Gov. Walker’ s assertions as fact, and failing to check, created the impression that somehow the workers are getting something extra, a gift from taxpayers. They are not.

Out of every dollar that funds Wisconsin’ s pension and health insurance plans for state workers, 100 cents comes from the state workers.

How can that be? Because the “contributions” consist of money that employees chose to take as deferred wages – as pensions when they retire – rather than take immediately in cash. The same is true with the health care plan. If this were not so a serious crime would be taking place, the gift of public funds rather than payment for services.

Thus, state workers are not being asked to simply “contribute more” to Wisconsin’ s retirement system (or as the argument goes, “pay their fair share” of retirement costs as do employees in Wisconsin’ s private sector who still have pensions and health insurance). They are being asked to accept a cut in their salaries so that the state of Wisconsin can use the money to fill the hole left by tax cuts and reduced audits of corporations in Wisconsin.

The labor agreements show that the pension plan money is part of the total negotiated compensation. The key phrase, in those agreements I read (emphasis added), is: “The Employer shall contribute on behalf of the employee.” This shows that this is just divvying up the total compensation package, so much for cash wages, so much for paid vacations, so much for retirement, etc.

The goal of the Union leadership is to stop the Union from getting fucked over by the State, who wants to renege on earlier agreements - agreements that they chose not to fund all on their own. Blaming the unions for the fact that the State has badly mismanaged their finances over the years is folly.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Blaming the unions for the fact that the State has badly mismanaged their finances over the years is folly.
That has never to this point worked with sports talent blames owners for paying them so much when fans start to complain about high ticket prices. Fans blame both sides, and rightly so. You seem to live in a fantasy world, reality does not support your assertions.
hingehead

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:14 pm
I love that the free market is the American ideology for determining pricing, but heaven forbid labour should test what the market is willing to bear.
roger

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:19 pm
@hingehead,
Labor tests the theory every day. When a different company offers more money that the current employer, many employees update the resume and weigh the offer against their perception of seniority and benefits with the current employer. Employers are apt to have better information at hand, but nothing an employee couldn't dig up on his own.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
They vote with their wallets; they have a choice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Blaming the unions for the fact that the State has badly mismanaged their finances over the years is folly.
That has never to this point worked with sports talent blames owners for paying them so much when fans start to complain about high ticket prices. Fans blame both sides, and rightly so. You seem to live in a fantasy world, reality does not support your assertions.

Of course it does. You just have a different opinion. That doesn't change the facts of the matter at all, though.

If you have a factual complaint with the piece I posted - present it. I find your opinions to be uninformed and uninteresting, because they basically consist of you asserting that everyone else thinks like you do.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I find your opinions to be uninformed and uninteresting, because they basically consist of you asserting that everyone else thinks like you do.
Bullshit misdirection...because I am asserting that in the like situation of sports THE FACT is that for the most part people blame both sides. My opinion is not any where in the vicinity of my statement. You are making **** up again, which is obvious, which you should cease doing if you desire to be considered a serious voice.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 06:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I find your opinions to be uninformed and uninteresting, because they basically consist of you asserting that everyone else thinks like you do.
Bullshit...I am asserting that in the like situation of sports

Full stop. Sports isn't a 'like situation.' The pay of professional athletes has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Your analogy is horrible and it hurts me to even read it again. Please stop doing violence upon those of us who respect logic and facts.

I repeat again: do you have anything to actually say about the piece I posted? About the facts of the matter? Because I'm uninterested in your opinions or your assertions.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
hawk has the tendency to create other issues that isn't even part of the discussion. I'm not sure how he assumes that athletes and unions can be discussed as equal issues. It only shows he has never studied Econ 101. All this is explained well in this course.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
hawk has the tendency to create other issues that isn't even part of the discussion. I'm not sure how he assumes that athletes and unions can be discussed as equal issues. It only shows he has never studied Econ 101. All this is explained well in this course.
Athletes are labor, unionized labor at that in most sports. Where did you take Econ 101?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
The best professional athletes earn through individual contracts, not unionized contracts. You were talking about the high pay of athletes, weren't you? Your ignorance continues to show.

Most so-called unionized contracts pay much less on average, but they do establish some rules and regulations for both owners and players.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Athletes earn through individual contracts, not unionized contracts. Your ignorance continues to show.
You might want to read up on the subject old man, as generally not only are min salaries spelled out in the union contract but also there are usually a lot of words in the contract devoted to pay issues, in some sports to include the percentage of gross that labor is entitled to, with team labor cost caps and everything. In case you never noticed, most strikes and lockouts revolve around pay issues.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Current case in point, which is almost 100% about pay:
Quote:
Enjoy the NFL while you still can. It could be a lot different this time next season. If there is a next season...

Far too many fans are still unaware of the fact that the 2011 season is likely to be lost because of a labor fight. In short, the owners are asking the players to take 18% less revenue than under the current agreement, which expires in March. The players don't want to do this without the owners opening up their financial books and showing that it is necessary to sustain the league.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-frederick/nfl-lockout-2011-owners-v_b_782784.html
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
almost 100%.

except for the part about 2 extra games.

and all the other issues...

quoting huffpo about football is kinda weak and silly, but, hey...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
almost 100%.

except for the part about 2 extra games.

How about you get educated before you come around here??
Quote:
In an interview with AP on January 13, NFL negotiator and outside counsel Bob Batterman – a key figure in this negotiation -- used a figure of $500 million of incremental revenue from the added games. When asked about the union not being interested in the 18-2 season, Batterman responded “That is $500 million that is not going to be generated, of which they would have had approximately half”.

In a labor dispute that is now separated by number not far off from $500 million, the 18-game schedule could be a bridge to labor peace. This is the reason why I have called the 18-game schedule a “game-changing issue” in this negotiation.

Good for business of the NFL

As Commissioner Goodell has noted about the CBA negotiations, this is a “business dispute”. And the 18-game schedule is good for business, as it creates new revenue to be shared by the players.

A better way to spin the 18-game schedule, which I think will be in the next CBA starting in 2012, is that it grows the revenue pie by $500 million, approximately half of which will go to the players.

When players see $250 million available to them for agreeing to this – in addition to concessions such as increased roster size, post-career health coverage, and much less contact in training camp – it becomes an easier “ask”.

When someone says, “It’s not about the money”, they usually mean: “It’s all about the money.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/18game-season-500-million-issue.html
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
almost 100%?

how many is that?

I've been following the negotiations.

have you?
parados

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:41 pm
@joefromchicago,
Well joe, this is a country where 90%of the people think they are in the top 10% of income earners. Why should those of us in the top 90% care about the bottom 90%?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:43 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I've been following the negotiations.

have you?
can you name a single major issue in this negotiation that is not intimately tied up with the pay issue? You already made one try and failed miserably, but feel free to give it another go...