Why the anti-union animosity?

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo wrote:
You're right that nobody gets pensions anymore - but that's a terrible thing, and a problem, not a 'fact of life.' It wasn't inevitable. This state came about because, with less and less unionization, the workers of America had no way to fight for them. You don't seem to have made the link between lower rates of unionization and higher rates of workers getting a worse and worse deal, all while profits for businesses continue to rise - to their highest rates ever, in fact. But the connection is clear.

Is there data here that shows lower rates of unionization? I haven't seen it. In my experience there are more unions than ever. There were no "professional unions" when I was working for someone else. I'll look at whatever data you have that shows that the advent of 401Ks over pensions is directly related to a lower rate of unionization. I've never heard that claim before.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:10 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I've never heard that claim before.
No doubt,,,,,because it is factually wrong. Businesses were fully onboard defined benefit pensions until the raiders came along in the eighties and were looking for a way to make more money by paying their workers less. 401K were the solution. Pretty much only government has defined benefit pension plans now, the last of the private ones were rubbed out after the post 9/11 recession, either going to 401K or defined contribution plans where the payout will be a mystery.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:33 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Cyclo wrote:
You're right that nobody gets pensions anymore - but that's a terrible thing, and a problem, not a 'fact of life.' It wasn't inevitable. This state came about because, with less and less unionization, the workers of America had no way to fight for them. You don't seem to have made the link between lower rates of unionization and higher rates of workers getting a worse and worse deal, all while profits for businesses continue to rise - to their highest rates ever, in fact. But the connection is clear.

Is there data here that shows lower rates of unionization? I haven't seen it.

In American private-sector workers as a whole?

Did you look?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_unions_in_the_United_States#Membership

In 1945 35% of American workers in private industry were unionized. Today it's 7%.

Quote:
I'll look at whatever data you have that shows that the advent of 401Ks over pensions is directly related to a lower rate of unionization. I've never heard that claim before.

It is my supposition, not something that I have read scholarly articles that focus on. I will have to do some research to see if it's more than just correllation. But I am willing to bet that it is.

Here's an interesting article to get started on -

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/02/28/20110228brokenbudgets0228.html

Quote:
Nine of the 10 states with the lowest percentage of public employees eligible for collective bargaining are in the South, according to data compiled by Barry Hirsch of Georgia State University and David Macpherson of Trinity University in San Antonio. Their research shows only about two in five public employees nationwide have the type of collective-bargaining rights that have drawn fire in Wisconsin.

To be sure, government jobs are still seen as more secure and desirable than most private-sector jobs even in states where public employees do not have the right to collective bargaining. In Mississippi, one of the poorest states in the nation, state workers have fewer protections and generally less-generous compensation and benefits than public employees represented by collective bargaining. While pay and perks vary greatly among states, the primary benefit is that governors and lawmakers cannot unilaterally impose changes, such as pension reforms, without going to the bargaining table, nor can they impose layoffs without following union-tenure rules.

In California, where most state employees are covered by collective bargaining, negotiated labor contracts allow state workers to retire, collect their pensions and then return to work, allowing them to make more money than before. Two independent government-auditing agencies in California have recommended reforming the state's pension system, even for current employees, but unions there have vowed to sue if the governor and Legislature try to enact reforms outside the bargaining process.

Governors and lawmakers in states without collective bargaining can make such changes without consulting workers. Pensions for new public employees in Virginia, for example, were shifted last year from the traditional defined benefit - the type of pension that many governments say they no longer can afford without major changes - to a 401(k)-style system similar to that used in the private sector. In North Carolina, some state workers are represented by a local of the Service Employees International Union, but the group has no bargaining power. That leaves employees with no real say over how many jobs would be shed this year due to budget cuts - Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue has recommended eliminating 10,000 state government jobs, 3,000 of them currently filled.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Businesses were fully onboard defined benefit pensions until the raiders came along in the eighties and were looking for a way to make more money by paying their workers less.

Uh, that's actually what I'm claiming happened.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:08 pm
Well, there's a correlation but nothing here at least that demonstrates a causation.

From your wiki link
Quote:
Union membership had been steadily declining in the US since 1983. In 2007, the labor department reported the first increase in union memberships in 25 years and the largest increase since 1979. Most of the recent gains in union membership have been in the service sector while the number of unionized employees in the manufacturing sector has declined. Most of the gains in the service sector have come in West Coast states like California where union membership is now at 16.7% compared with a national average of about 12.1%.[7]

Union density (the percentage of workers belonging to unions) has been declining since the late 1940s, however. Almost 36% of American workers were represented by unions in 1945. Historically, the rapid growth of public employee unions since the 1960s has served to mask an even more dramatic decline in private-sector union membership.

At the apex of union density in the 1940s, only about 9.8% of public employees were represented by unions, while 33.9% of private, non-agricultural workers had such representation. In this decade, those proportions have essentially reversed, with 36% of public workers being represented by unions while private sector union density had plummeted to around 7%. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics most recent survey indicates that union membership in the US has risen to 12.4% of all workers, from 12.1% in 2007. For a short period, private sector union membership rebounded, increasing from 7.5% in 2007 to 7.6% in 2008. [8] However, that trend has since reversed. In 2009, the union density for private sector stood at 7.2%. [9]

On the advent of 401Ks
Quote:
Congress amended the Internal Revenue Code in 1978 by adding subsection (k) to ยง401 whereby employees are not taxed on income they choose to receive as deferred compensation rather than direct compensation.[3] The law went into effect on January 1, 1980,[3] and by 1983 almost half of large firms were either offering a 401(k) plan or considering doing so.[3] By 1984 there were 17,303 companies offering 401(k) plans.[3] Also in 1984, Congress passed legislation requiring nondiscrimination testing, to make sure that the plans did not discriminate in favor of highly paid employees more than a certain allowable amount.[3] Congress passed legislation in 1998 that allowed employers to have all employees contribute a certain amount into a 401(k) plan unless the employee expressly elects not to contribute.[3]

In the mid-1980s there were fewer than 8 million participants with less than $100 billion of assets in 401(k) plans.[4] By 2006 there were seventy million participants with more than $3 trillion of assets in 401(k) plans.[4] There were 438,000 companies sponsoring 401(k) plans in 2003.[3]

The section 401(k) plan, originally intended for executives, proved popular with workers at all levels because it had higher yearly contribution limits than the Individual Retirement Account (IRA), usually came with a company match, and in some ways provided greater flexibility than the IRA, often providing so-called loans and, if applicable, offered the employer's stock as an investment choice. Several major corporations amended existing defined contribution plans immediately following the publication of IRS proposed regulations in 1981.

A primary reason for the explosion of 401(k) plans is that such plans are cheaper for employers to maintain than a defined benefit pension for every retired worker. With a 401(k) plan, instead of required pension contributions, the employer only has to pay plan administration and support costs if they elect not to match employee contributions or make profit sharing contributions. In addition, some or all of the plan administration costs can be passed on to plan participants. In years with strong profits employers can make matching or profit-sharing contributions, and reduce or eliminate them in poor years. Thus 401(k) plans create a predictable cost for employers, while the cost of defined benefit plans can vary unpredictably from year to year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/401%28k%29
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 12:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Businesses were fully onboard defined benefit pensions until the raiders came along in the eighties and were looking for a way to make more money by paying their workers less.

Cycloptichorn

Nonsense. There are many factors that led to the popularity and attractions of 401K plans in addition to their more predictable costs for employers and the lower cost of administering them noted above.

In the first place such tax deferred savings are portable - they can be taken from job to job, employer to employer. Defined benefit pension plans generally are not, and often involve substantial employment duration standards for eligibility.

In the second they encourage savings by individuals - then low individual savings rates were seen as a a growing problem nationally. This was part of the motivation for (or arguments in support of) the government's action to enact the 401k tax deferral in 1978.

Finally, unlike pension plans, 401K savings can be accessed in an emergency.

Of course in time Cyclo will enlighten us all with more such oracular pronouncements based on his exhaustive personal research - no evidence of which has yet been offered.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 01:02 pm
@georgeob1,
My point was that Hawk was agreeing with me - directly - one second after saying that what I just said was false.

If you had read above, you would have seen the conversation JPB and I had about the subject - in which I indicated that I had done no real research on the subject, and am simply making a supposition. I don't have evidence of direct causation and didn't claim to at any point.

I am always clear when this is the case; your snide comment really misses the mark. I think that recent events in the other thread, which revealed your ignorance as to what the law actually was, all while making the same "oracular pronouncements" you now deride, has really hit home with you. I certainly understand; it's not pleasant when people publicly point out that you have no idea what you are talking about, is it?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 01:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's true you did make a reference to not having researched this. For that I apoligize.

However this did not suggest it.
Quote:

You are making far too much about the relatively trivial point that current law permits card check as long as the company that is the target of union organization doesn't object. They almost always do object, and a secret ballot which the unions usually lose is the result. The essential point was that the central effect of the proposed card check legislation would be to enable the union to evade existing requirements for secret ballots of the affected employees, and instead substitute cards that they can collect, usually with as much intimidation as they can get away with, from the stipulated fraction of the employees.

Unfortunately both you and parados persistently refused to address this central point, and instead devoted a great deal of energy to every distraction you could fnnd.

I will credit you with candor and a direct answer on one key point though. You truthfully (it appears) acknowledged that in your view the central public benefit of card check would be increased union success in organizing companies and industries. That at least acknowledges your willingness to force your preferred political choices on others, regardless of their individual choices.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 02:13 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It's true you did make a reference to not having researched this. For that I apoligize.

However this did not suggest it.
Quote:

Sure; I should have been clearer when I made that original point, sorry.

Quote:
You are making far too much about the relatively trivial point that current law permits card check as long as the company that is the target of union organization doesn't object. They almost always do object, and a secret ballot which the unions usually lose is the result. The essential point was that the central effect of the proposed card check legislation would be to enable the union to evade existing requirements for secret ballots of the affected employees, and instead substitute cards that they can collect, usually with as much intimidation as they can get away with, from the stipulated fraction of the employees.

Unfortunately both you and parados persistently refused to address this central point, and instead devoted a great deal of energy to every distraction you could fnnd.

Look, I consider that discussion of the currently existing law to be a distraction as well. The only reason we went off on such a tangent is that you made several affirmative statements that were simply incorrect; saying that Card Check requires less than 50% of all members of the potential union to sign on isn't true. This was a big feature of your original argument, so it was important to make it clear that nobody trying to pass Card Check legislation is trying to do that.

It's clear that we have different opinions regarding who is the larger intimidator: unions or management. I don't see a lot acknowledgment from you that management does regularly attempt to intimidate their members from forming a Union. We could go back-and-forth with our OPINIONS as to which is a bigger problem all day, but I don't know how that would lead to a good conversation overall.

I think that you show some inflexibility by refusing to look at the situation through any other lens than the frame that you have chosen. Instead of actually examining the language of the bills in question, you've presented what amounts to a caricature of Union representation and interests on the matter. I don't think that declaring 'no conversation can be had unless you agree with MY framing' is usually a productive way to move forward with the conversation.

When I say, 'Card Check changes the party who can call for a secret ballot from the Employer to the Employees,' that is addressing the central issue. That is what the bill does. We can have a conversation about the effects of that; but it's fallacious to say that actually describing the actual features of actual legislation, and presenting sources to back that up, is anything BUT discussing the central issue. I understand that you wish to frame it a certain way, but it's wrong to accuse me or Parados of some sort of dishonesty or lack of willingness to discuss the issue. That's clearly not the case.

Quote:
I will credit you with candor and a direct answer on one key point though. You truthfully (it appears) acknowledged that in your view the central public benefit of card check would be increased union success in organizing companies and industries. That at least acknowledges your willingness to force your preferred political choices on others, regardless of their individual choices.

It's no different than any other political decision. Walker is proposing to force his political preferences on a huge group. Any politician does this and anyone who proposes new legislation is basically doing this. What you describe is merely a feature of democracy: there's always an 'injured party' in ever piece of legislation.

Cycloptchorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's clear that we have different opinions regarding who is the larger intimidator: unions or management. I don't see a lot acknowledgment from you that management does regularly attempt to intimidate their members from forming a Union. We could go back-and-forth with our OPINIONS as to which is a bigger problem all day, but I don't know how that would lead to a good conversation overall.
I never claimed that management doesn't try to persuade and in some cases intimidate. I did express the opinion that unions do habitually (and with impunity) engage in forms of intimidation that would quickly put the managers of any company in jail if they tried them. I have witnessed this first hand. However, my central point was that the best remedy for intimidation from either, or any, source is a secret ballot. Card check, denies that remedy and is itself an open invitation for intimidation at the hands of the organization collecting the cards - and that is the union.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think that you show some inflexibility by refusing to look at the situation through any other lens than the frame that you have chosen. Instead of actually examining the language of the bills in question, you've presented what amounts to a caricature of Union representation and interests on the matter.
I will acknowledge that is all true. However, I do have a substantial basis for my viewpoint. I spent years as CEO of two companies that involved substantial employment of members of the buildings trades and metal trades labor unions - one involving about 500 union employees the other about 3,000. I dealt every day with the petty distractions of union stewards and their (usually trivial) grievances; the "attitude" they encouraged among their members about goals of the enterprise that affected everyone in it; the contempt of the non-union employees for the union's actions; and the continuing harm they did to our overall productivity .

In the second company I inherited a legacy of very antagonistic relations between union and management - a legacy that included almost a thousand labor grievances ready for litigation. I made significant efforts to improve the situation. resolving the accumulated legacy of grievances and offering to include union members in a very generous profit sharing plan that other employees enjoyed, in return for the relaxation of stupid work rules (like one hour paid breaks at the start and end of each day to don coveralls) - they refused. I learned that the union leaders cherish an antagonistic relation with the employers - it is the psychological source of their persuasive power over their members. They are parasites.

There was a happy ending though. We later invited a competing labor union into "secret" discussions over new elements of work the company was entering into that were arguably more in keeping with the second union's charter, and which would soon replace the existing labor categories in the company. As we suspected our union got wind of it and suddenly became very eager to negotiate an addendum to the CBA establishing their right to represent the new work. I agreed but instructed our negotiator to accept only on the basis of eliminating the applicability to the new categories of the whole legacy of productivity destroying "work rules" the union had negotiated over the years and which were the source of so many pointless disputes. In their eagerness they agreed. We also stipulated the addendum would expire a month before the expiration of the collective bargaining contract itself - something they, in their haste, didn't think through. Bottom line is when it came time to renegotiate the CBA we had a better bid from a competing union in hand and they realized that if they took us to the wall they would first lose what they had negotiated. We were able to retain the original union but eliminate all the stupid work rules (and excess paid "shop stewards") that has so poisioned the working environment. It was a good day.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
When I say, 'Card Check changes the party who can call for a secret ballot from the Employer to the Employees,' that is addressing the central issue. That is what the bill does.
What is "central" about who calls for a secret ballot? Unions almost never do because card check is so much easier and more favorable to them. If you agree that a secret ballot is the best remedy for intimidation from any source, what does it matter who calls for it? Do you believe the employer has no lawful interest in the matter?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's no different than any other political decision. Walker is proposing to force his political preferences on a huge group. Any politician does this and anyone who proposes new legislation is basically doing this. What you describe is merely a feature of democracy: there's always an 'injured party' in ever piece of legislation.

Agreed.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:44 am
@georgeob1,
Next week on "True Tales of Corporate Courage," georgeob1 makes a hippie cry!

http://www.jacklail.com/blog/images/250px-Jpmorgan.jpg
"And get a haircut, slacker!"
georgeob1

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:15 am
@joefromchicago,
Laughing

Probably deserved. Still it was a great story (from my perspective) and a satisfying outcome. You're wrong about the motivation though - it was desperation, nothing else.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:24 am
@georgeob1,

Under the new law, if a company is unionized with card check, the company has to negotiate with the union. When that contract expires the company is free to dispute the validity of the union and ask for an election. The proposed card check law doesn't change that.

During a negotiation if a company feels the majority doesn't support a union it can request a vote. The workers can do the same thing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:30 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

When I say, 'Card Check changes the party who can call for a secret ballot from the Employer to the Employees,' that is addressing the central issue. That is what the bill does.

What is "central" about who calls for a secret ballot?

This is what the law changes! That's why it's central to discussions of the law. It's what the law does!

How can discussing the actual changes brought on by a piece of legislation not be central to a discussion of that legislation? This is kind of a mind-boggling position you're taking.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 10:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You guys are merely evading the issue. A secret ballot of the workers involved is virtually the only way to ensure that intimidation is not a factor in the forced unionization of a private enterprise and the workers involved. I happens also to involve the forced forfeiture of 1-2% of the pay of the workers involved to a private organization, and in the states without right to work laws, without the consent of the individual workers.

You fairly clearly favor card check because it promises to decrease the pattern of failure in union organizing efforts over the past forty years, and not because it improves the integrity of the organizing process in any way.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:03 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

You guys are merely evading the issue. A secret ballot of the workers involved is virtually the only way to ensure that intimidation is not a factor in the forced unionization of a private enterprise and the workers involved.

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. A secret ballot doesn't stop intimidation by anyone at all. And it's mind-boggling that you actually believe this.

In a scenario in which the company learns of impending unionization, and then after calling for a secret ballot, rounds up the guys they think are in charge and intimidates them into both not voting and speaking about against it - by either threatening their jobs, their conditions, or threatening to close the whole shop - how does that ballot prevent intimidation?

The management doesn't give a **** how the individuals vote! The entire point is to use the time leading up to the vote to create a culture of intimidation and fear. And it works, by all accounts.

Quote:
I happens also to involve the forced forfeiture of 1-2% of the pay of the workers involved to a private organization, and in the states without right to work laws, without the consent of the individual workers.

You fairly clearly favor card check because it promises to decrease the pattern of failure in union organizing efforts over the past forty years, and not because it improves the integrity of the organizing process in any way.

I favor it because I believe that management intimidation is far more prevalent and far more of a problem than you do. And that the stories I've read which show how management manipulates the situation by calling for a ballot - even when 100% of the workers indicate they want a union - are compelling.

I don't believe for a second that 'integrity of the process' is what you care about. You care about less unions because you are strongly anti-union. Why bother couching your speech? Just say what you think, instead of dollying it up with a bunch of faux-concern for the process.

Yesterday when I posted the piece about the OH GOP kicking their own members off of committees in order to get controversial votes passed, you didn't care too much about the process. You cared about 'the worthy cause.' This is the same thing.

The fact remains that no matter how many times you accuse us of 'evading the issue,' we are talking about Card Check and it seems you are not. Because we know what Card Check legislation PROPOSES TO DO, and as was revealed earlier, you really don't. If you want to talk about something other than Card Check, I'm more than happy to. But it's totally false to say that I'm 'evading the question.' This is you doing the Framing thing I talked about earlier: anyone who tries to discuss actual changes in the law, instead of your pejorative opinion regarding the aims of those changes, is 'evading the question.' Not a compelling argument.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. A secret ballot doesn't stop intimidation by anyone at all. And it's mind-boggling that you actually believe this.

In a scenario in which the company learns of impending unionization, and then after calling for a secret ballot, rounds up the guys they think are in charge and intimidates them into both not voting and speaking about against it - by either threatening their jobs, their conditions, or threatening to close the whole shop - how does that ballot prevent intimidation?

The management doesn't give a **** how the individuals vote! The entire point is to use the time leading up to the vote to create a culture of intimidation and fear. And it works, by all accounts.

It is even more mind-boggling that you appear to believe that being asked to sign a card in the workplace by a union organizer accompanied by workers favoring the union and hoping to get cushy company paid jobs as "shop stewards' doesn't involve intimidation.

Whatever information the company (or the union) may provide to influence the voters, in a secret ballot, the individual employee gets to express his view in private and without either of the contesting parties knowing his choice. What could be more protective of individual rights than that?

There is a pretty good case to be made for the productivity destroying effects of unionization and the job losses that have resulted from it in the textile, steel, automobile and other infected industries. It is only fair that the employees get a chance to hear it.

It appears that you value the application of your prejudgments about collective action over the rights of individuals.
parados

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:14 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You guys are merely evading the issue. A secret ballot of the workers involved is virtually the only way to ensure that intimidation is not a factor in the forced unionization of a private enterprise and the workers involved

An issue that was already decided by the USSC which you are avoiding.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:16 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It appears that you value the application of your prejudgments about collective action over the rights of individuals.

I would say you value your prejudgments over facts and USSC rulings.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:17 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

It is even more mind-boggling that you appear to believe that being asked to sign a card in the workplace by a union organizer accompanied by workers favoring the union and hoping to get cushy company paid jobs as "shop stewards' doesn't involve intimidation.

If enough of those workers feel intimidated, they can anonymously call for a secret vote! That's part of the legislation! Knowing the facts of the law in question leads to not making errors like this.

Quote:
Whatever information the company (or the union) may provide to influence the voters, in a secret ballot, the individual employee gets to express his view in private and without either of the contesting parties knowing his choice. What could be more protective of individual rights than that?

Oh, I don't know. How about allowing people who have already clearly indicated they want something to have it without being forced to vote in secret to get it?

Quote:
There is a pretty good case to be made for the productivity destroying effects of unionization and the job losses that have resulted from it in the textile, steel, automobile and other infected industries. It is only fair that the employees get a chance to hear it.

Right, right. I knew the 'management line' before you repeated it here.

Quote:

Card Check removes no individual's rights at all. You are simply making **** up now.

Parados is perfectly correct that the highest court in the land has already decided that you are wrong, George. I haven't seen you meaningfully account for that in this discussion. It's difficult to move forward in a collegiate and light-hearted manner when you consistently refuse to examine the actual laws as they are on the books, and the actual proposed changes to the law - substituting instead your OPINION of what we 'should' be discussing.

Cycloptichorn