Whither Football?

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 11:00 am
@sozobe,
Just watched part of my kid's high schools football game. I love football, I love these kids. She's a junior now and while guys we knew well have been on the team in previous years, they haven't been starters. Now they're all out there.

First play I saw was our brand-new quarterback scramble away from a sack and loft a huge pass (40 yards?) into the waiting hands of a 6'6" sweetie I've known since he was in preschool. That was awesome!

Then, on subsequent plays, I saw my kid's best friend in second grade get squashed and limp off the field, a kid who lives behind us and who we used to hang out with all of the time and who is really big and strong come out of the bottom of a pile after a sack in obvious extreme pain. And another good friend of hers who has been the star of the team never showed up in the time I was watching (it was a livestream) and I can only presume that he's too hurt to play.

Love to root for them when things are going well, just hate to see the injuries, and to see those injuries just keep coming.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 11:08 am
@sozobe,
Thanks, I've been hoping for those kind of changes, especially re helmets.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2017 01:14 pm
Quote:
To witness the death of the multi-billion dollar National Football League, you really don't need to see sportswriters wringing their hands over the moral dilemma of covering America's Roman circus of brain trauma.

And you don't need to watch multi-millionaire football stars, pampered for most of their lives, ostentatiously disrespecting the American national anthem, kneeling, their raised fists in the air.

You don't need to see the desperation in the NFL's television commercials: actresses in team gear, holding snack trays to feed their (virtual) extended team-gear-wearing families, as the NFL begs middle-class women to mother their game before it dies.

You don't have to do any of that to see how football is dying.

All you have to do is go out to a youth football field, as I did on Sunday morning, and talk to parents and coaches.

"Just four years ago, we had so many boys signing up for football, we had five teams at this fourth-grade level," says John Herrera, a dad, software engineer and football coach of the Wheaton Rams in the Bill George Youth Football League in the western suburbs of Chicago.

"And from five teams of fourth-graders four years ago, what do we have now? One team. Just one."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-football-concussions-youth-kass-met-0906-20170905-column.html
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 03:37 pm
@sozobe,
In the category of sad, awful, and utterly unsurprising:

Quote:
Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who committed suicide in April while serving a life sentence for murder, was found to have a severe form of C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated head trauma that has been found in more than 100 former N.F.L. players.

Researchers who examined the brain determined it was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age,” said a lawyer for Hernandez in announcing the result at a news conference on Thursday. Hernandez was 27.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/sports/aaron-hernandez-cte-brain.html

CowDoc

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 07:53 pm
@sozobe,
Hopefully, no one will do much analysis of bovine veterinarians' brains (which assumes they actually have them), considering the number of sledgehammer shots to the head I have taken over the course of the past forty years - and without the luxury of protective headgear. Come to think of it, it helps a whole bunch to be crazy BEFORE one takes up this vocation.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 09:38 am
@ehBeth,
I am just reading some of this stuff now -- damn -- I knew it was bad but not to what extent.

What gets me as I know a girl who plays football - tackle football as quarterback. I haven't spoken with her or her family in about a year so maybe she is no longer playing. She would be 14 now and my daughter had played basketball with her for about 4 years so since about 5th grade. The joke from her dad was that she would get so many fouls in basketball because she is so used to being rough playing football with the boys.

This girl had 2 or 3 concessions. From what I heard her doctor said she should no longer play football but yet her parents let her continue even after they said it. I thought they were crazy. But after reading all this stuff - I think it is borderline abuse.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 09:42 am
@sozobe,
CBC radio has made a commitment to providing transcripts for all of their programming. Some of it is a bit off but it is better and more consistent every month. I'm glad they've really stepped up with this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 09:47 am
@Linkat,
When pro teams in Canada are cancelling contact practice, you have to wonder about parents who allow their children to continue to participate in the sport.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-to-announce-immediate-end-to-full-contact-practices-1.855515

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/players-respond-to-cfl-contact-1.4290756

Quote:
Since most teams already stay away from padded practices, the next challenge will be for minor league teams to change their approach to coaching amateur athletes, Evraire said.

"You can't go to the trump card of we lost the game on Saturday so next time we practice we're going to scrimmage and knock the snot out of each other so we can figure things out. That's not how it's done," he said.

"You've got to step back, look at the strategy, look at the scheme, look at what's gone wrong and coach these athletes up physically, but more importantly, mentally aware of what they need to do to be successful in the next game."
0 Replies