Audio Editing Software...

MrIVI

Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:18 pm
What audio editing software(s) are people finding effective? I've been using Sound Forge for years, but I'm finding it a bit limited. What are other people(s) liking?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 5,349 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

Eorl

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:24 am
@MrIVI,
Avid Protools is by far the easiest, the best and the most powerful.
Ubiquitousness(?) also an important factor.
Especially now Protools 9 has gone native.
MrIVI

Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:46 am
@Eorl,
I'm trying to find a trial version I can check out. It's too expensive for me to just shell out the cash. Do you know if they have trial versions for that.
Eorl

Fri 25 Feb, 2011 06:26 am
@MrIVI,
There was a version called Protools Free quite a while back. If you're still running windows 98 or Mac os9 you could be in luck. Any other versions you find will require digidesign or Mbox hardware to run anyway.

I guess you could watch some YouTube tutorials to get a good idea of how it works. The point is though, it's good enough to be used for anything from homegrown VoiceOver booths to Hollywood film scores.

If you want a free trial (and very cheap anyway) alternative you could try Reaper. It's good, buts it's no Protools.

"Audacity" might be worth a look too. Also free. Used to be called "Cool Edit" back in the day.

Here's a handy comparison grid on a respected site:
http://www.synthzone.com/digaudio.htm
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 09:49 pm
@MrIVI,
I work in the field of speech recognition (where audio editing is rather important). Many of us use Audacity as our go to tool. Audacity is not a trial... it is free (open source.

I recommend you start there before you spend any money on something else.
0 Replies