What would life be like if God/god/gods really existed?

JPLosman0711

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:10 pm
You are currently in the process of un-covering who you 'were', it's who you already 'are', you just don't know it.........yet.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:29 pm
Hmm. If the xtian god were to reveal itself, that'd crap all over the economy. Xtian apologists say that their god created the world and humankind so that people could praise him/her/it. It's hard to simultaneously make widgets and offer up the quality of praise that such an omnipotent being would demand. A smart person in that situation would sit at home and praise in order to qualify for god's help in getting all the stuff we usually have to work for.

Also, all the faith-based groups would disappear. No need for faith after the god has revealed itself. That probably would mean no more churches, which would be a huge blow to the manufacturers of tacky clothing. No evangelism or outreach, as all that would be redundant. I'll bet the pope would be a little more hesitant about putting on his tallest hat, too.

Educational and research institutions would disappear. We'd just be able to ask god what we wanted to know. Similarly, technology would disappear. We'd be able to ask god to solve whatever problem that arose.

Another minor issue would be that everyone would want to die as soon as possible in order to get to heaven, where they wouldn't have to put up with dental cavities, diarrhea, old age, wrinkles and fear of death. Hell, I'd be willing to go right now, if I knew that was the deal.

Medical profession? It'd go tits-up in an instant. If the god wanted you healed, it'd do it itself. A doctor stepping in would be messing around with the divine plan. Not a wise move, what with the god watching and all.

Still, I'm all for it. I don't want to work. I just want to bang on my drums all day.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 05:32 am
It would be Hell on earth, the gods would wage war against eachother. Zeuz would rape all women again, and Hera would punish them for being raped. We would all kinds of weird monsters roaming the scene.
0 Replies

JPhil

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:28 am
@Joe Nation,
Well if you think about even if God were real, how would you know it wouldn't be the same world will live in today. Remember a God can do anything he wants and by being the creator can define any thing. Therefore love, hate, wisdom, etc. could what we are seeing now but we don't see it as the God sees it. And since he can do whatever he wants he could be keeping us from seeing his way.And as I said the God defines everything, so he could be showing love or hate right now but we wouldn't know.
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:43 am
If god really existed, I imagine he would be sitting back, aghast with disappointment, throwing popcorn at the screen. Wouldn't imagine it would be long before he changed the channel.
failures art

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:45 am
@JPhil,
How do you know a god can do anything it wants? If by your own words we experience and perceive things differently than gods, then couldn't the perception that a god can do anything also be false? Since a god can "shower" us with things like love and hate (and implicitly by your post: deception), how can you claim that a god can do anything and everything? Couldn't a god simply convince you it can do anything since it alters your perception?

For that matter, forget gods, humans are rather skilled at altering other's perceptions. Humans seem to do a very effective job at it. You're only convinced that a god can do anything it wants because another human told you so.

A
R
T
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:49 am
@Smileyrius,
nice, i sort of think of a god as an absent minded scientist, and we're just one of many mouldy petri dishes in a succession of experiments he/she has lost interest in
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:03 am
When I am a God (any day now) I think I will be Zeus. He gets to throw lightning bolts around and have sex with women. His kids are a bit unruly though....

edit : will I have to wear a toga ? I think I have the legs for it ...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:07 am
@FBM,
I think if the Christian god appeared that churches would increase but that skeptics would remain skeptics.
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:47 am
@plainoldme,
If the Christian god appeared, the Christians should fear the most.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:43 am
@Smileyrius,
It is very difficult for me to think Christian without immediately thinking hypocrite.
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:46 am
@plainoldme,
If you really thought they were hypocrites, then why is it difficult for you?

Why put that on your 'self'?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:48 am
POM wrote:
It is very difficult for me to think Christian without immediately thinking hypocrite.

One has to ponder why so many people have this reaction..
Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 05:56 pm
@Francis,
Some Christians are hypocrites...so are some atheists. Ever heard the expression there are no atheists in a fox hole ? But if you listen to atheists they think they are wonderful, devoid of human frailty and are the only nice people on earth. The truth is the opposite. Crime is committed by atheists, not religious people. When society turns on its members, Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, it is done by atheists.
Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 05:57 pm
Quote:
What would life be like if God/god/gods really existed?

What would live be like if God really didnt exist ?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:00 pm
@Ionus,
"Crime is committed by atheists, not religious people."

please attempt to support this idiotic statement...
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:10 pm
What happens if we don't worry about the right/wrong of other peoples' actions?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:29 pm
@Rockhead,
I thought you weren't talking to me ?

How many church going people are convicted of crime ? How many atheists end up being born again in gaol to help their chances of getting out ? Where was the greatest expansion of the muslim religion taking place over the last 50 yrs in the USA...in gaol.

How many of the people in gaol were devout (not nominally) religious before being convicted ?

Go into a gaol and ask how many were atheists when they committed their crimes. Now go into a church or mosque and ask how many were religious at the time of committing a crime.

Of course if you are an atheist and like a hedonistic life style you will probably never see the connection.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:45 pm
@Ionus,
if you had any more false assumptions inside of your hollow skull, it would implode.

your omniscience is right up there with your god's...

hedonistic lifestyle made me laugh out loud.

maroon...
Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:50 pm
@Ionus,
also, a helpful hint.

if you wish to be taken seriously, you should prolly not start off with "I thought"

anyone who has read your posts then automatically assumes you to be lying after that...