Flown out =?

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:44 am
Context:

One recent account, by Russian official Konstantin Pulikovsky who accompanied Kim on a train journey across Russia, described how live lobsters and roasted donkey -- reportedly the North Korean leader's favorite food -- were flown out to supply the train on a daily basis.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 421 • Replies: 5
No top replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:51 am
@oristarA,
They retro fitted the donkey to the lobster in a genetically engineered flying crab - ass vehicle used in secret training.
McTag

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:03 am
@laughoutlood,

It refers to air transport, of course, air freight.

To supply a train, you'd probably need a helicopter service (no handy landing strips or airfields.)

I've never tried roast donkey.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 12:32 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
live lobsters and roasted donkey were flown out to supply the train on a daily basis.

"Were flown" is the past simple passive of the verb to fly...

A small plane was flown to the village.

If those delicacies were brought in trucks one might say they were trucked out (from a central place or his place of origin) and if the means of transport were ships one might say they were shipped out.

See here

http://esl.about.com/od/grammarstructures/a/v_fly.htm

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 12:37 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It refers to air transport, of course, air freight.

To supply a train, you'd probably need a helicopter service (no handy landing strips or airfields.)

I've never tried roast donkey.

I expect the North Korean dictator's staff had a schedule of his tour which probably went from city to city and could arrange for the food to be flown to the nearest airport to each daily stop and from there taken by car or truck to his hotel.

Once, when I was on holiday in Nice I saw, in a market, a Corsican donkey sausage (no jokes please!) It was a kind of salami, coloured black. I was curious but my girlfriend said that if I bought it she would never speak to me again.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:50 am
Thank you all.
0 Replies