What is the difference between the sentences?

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 02:53 am

It's amazing how mixed-up and confrontational these threads get.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 11:18 am
@PaddyH,
PaddyH wrote:

Please do yourself a favour and learn the English language.More than, means of a greater amount.Much as, means of an equal amount.

To use a movie title of a while back "Dumb and Dumber".The secondary character was dumb to a greater extent (more) than the first.

This is the original question:

Is there any difference in meaning between these sentences:

My father has three times more money than my mother.
My father has three times as much money as my mother.

In general, most people will say 'no'. I quoted some professional writing which shows the 'times more' and 'times as much as' constructions being used interchangeably.

The phrases start with with the word 'times'. You ignore this and seem to think that because "more" on its own does not mean the same as "'as much as' on its own, therfore the sentences cannot mean the same.

You seem to think that English is something like Lego. You are the dumb one here. Get back under your rock.

PaddyH

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 12:32 pm
@contrex,
Unlike yourself,on this subject and others,I'm not in the habit of abusing or demeaning other posters.My use of the term "Dumb and Dumber" was simply used as an analogy to explain the use of more.
To use another analogy suggested by a word you supplied, Grammar is the Lego or building blocks of language.
contrex

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:49 pm
@PaddyH,
PaddyH wrote:
My use of the term "Dumb and Dumber" was simply used as an analogy to explain the use of more.

1. This has absolutely nothing to do with the question which started this thread. Your use of it was so wildly off-topic that I assumed it was a (flimsy) cover for an attack on me. If I was wrong then I apologise. However I am not convinced.

2. A use of "dumb" in the context of the original question might be:

These sentences are equivalent in meaning:

One of the characters in the movie is three times more dumb than the other.

One of the characters in the movie is three times as dumb as the other.

Of course this ignores the fact that one cannot really measure dumbness.

0 Replies