hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Then why don't I see you at any of the meetings?
Because I dont live in Rockford any longer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 03:12 pm
Quote:
Ground Shift: Are Wis. Republicans Now Getting Worn Down?
Eric Kleefeld | March 8, 2011, 3:25PM

The narrative in the Wisconsin political standoff over Gov. Scott Walker's budget proposal and its anti-public employee union provisions seems to have shifted very quickly. Just two days ago, the media was abuzz with talk that the state Senate Democrats who had fled the state in order to block budget quorum might come back -- and now, the chatter is about how some key Republican legislators could derail the bill.

On Sunday night, Dems were knocking back a Wall Street Journal report that they were soon to return. Instead, Minority Leader Mark Miller (D) called for a meeting with Walker at the state line.

In response, Walker and state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R) blasted the Dems for the negotiations that had already gone on, and claimed that some of the Dems were on the verge of coming back -- which only led to those same key Dems making clear that they weren't splitting from the caucus.

But with the GOP's efforts to wear the Dems down now stalling out, is it in fact Republicans who might be getting worn down? It appears that more Republican state Senators have been becoming critical of the package. This, too, could very well sputter out -- but Dems only need three defections out of the 19-member GOP caucus to defeat the bill.

State Sen. Dale Schultz has been publicly undecided since a week ago. Late last week, he sounded awfully critical of the bill -- and indeed, tired of the whole controversy -- in a radio interview: "All I know is, we're not talking. We're wasting valuable time about collective bargaining, which I don't ever remember being a part of the last election whatsoever. But most of all, you know, to me, this just looks like the classic overreach we see every two years."

And on Monday, state Sen. Robert Cowles told the Green Bay Press Gazette that Republicans should look at compromising with the Democrats, having already won the major financial concessions on union employees' contributions to their health care and pensions. "The important part is the monetary concessions. That's the part that helps balance the budget. The other things are less monetary in nature," said Cowles. "It's the challenge of the senate to go through those and find a conclusion on items that have little or no connection to finance."

At the same time, though, the paper noted that Cowles wasn't quite crossing over yet:

Cowles intends to vote with Republicans on Walker's bill, though he understood why some might question its inclusion of the collective bargaining overhaul.

"I think once this is over with, and I think we all want to get it over with, then it'll be time to do the armchair quarterbacking," Cowles said. "Would they have gotten the concessions (on pensions and health care) without the other things in that bill? I don't think so."

Also on Monday, state Sen. Luther Olsen told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Dems should be negotiated with:

Sen. Luther Olsen of Ripon, one of the Republicans facing a recall effort, said he was glad to see Walker talking about how his administration is talking with Democrats.

"They're in the minority but holding some cards so you've got to negotiate, you can't give up the whole ship," Olsen said.

Olsen said he's forwarded to the governor undisclosed ideas for compromise.

As TPM has noted, Olsen has previously called Walker's plan "radical."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/ground-shift-are-wis-republicans-now-getting-worn-down.php?ref=fpblg

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 03:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Maybe it's a trick to get the Dems to come back.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 03:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
The GOP has to work with the Dems and has to face to voters, so it is important to appear to be reasonable. Wake me when a member of the GOP says he will vote against Walkers plan.
BillRM

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye I will instead wake you when the recall elections had gotten these assholes out of power in now less then two months.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Their gamesmanship is not lost on those who still can see 20/20.

No unions = WI budget balance. There are more stupid people in this country than they would have us believe.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The GOP has to work with the Dems and has to face to voters, so it is important to appear to be reasonable. Wake me when a member of the GOP says he will vote against Walkers plan.

Dale Schulz, GOP state Senator of WI, has already said he won't vote for it in its' current form. So wake up.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Dale Schulz, GOP state Senator of WI
have you got a link?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Dale Schulz, GOP state Senator of WI
have you got a link?

Here's the first overview I could find:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117091253.html

He's indicated to Dem leaders that he won't vote on the bill, but won't say so publicly.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
He's indicated to Dem leaders that he won't vote on the bill, but won't say so publicly
Ya, I am not finding any verifiable statement from him saying what you say he said either. I do notice this
Quote:

REEDSBURG, Wisc. -- At a town hall meeting held in this rural community on Sunday afternoon, Republican state Sen. Dale Schultz faced loud opposition to a proposed compromise he said could end the legislative stalemate over union rights that's led to close to three weeks of protests in his state.

Schultz has proposed an amendment that freezes collective bargaining rights for public employees for two years, and said he though that would be a fair compromise -- and one that could end the standoff in Madison over Gov. Scott Walker's proposed budget repair bill.

"I believe it could head off a passionate explosion," Schultz told the 300 hundred person crowd seated inside of the Pineview elementary school gymnasium.

The word "no" reverberated loudly through the crowd, while many others shook their heads silently.

"That won't do!" an audience member called out to the senator.

Their reaction suggests that the plummet in support for Walker among Wisconsin voters since the standoff began -- his negative rating is up 18 points since November and his "strongly unfavorable" rating shot up to 41 percent from just 19 percent then -- could also be something affecting Republicans further down the ballot.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/03/at-a-wisconsin-town-hall-the-mood-turns-against-compromise/72144/

Take away for Rebubs is "dont talk compromise, the Dems will not reward you and the conservatives will hammer you"
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Take away for Rebubs is "dont talk compromise, the Dems will not reward you and the conservatives will hammer you"

Wrong. The 'compromise position' is one in which the financial cuts to the unions are accepted, but the removal of their rights is not. The Dems are merely signaling that they won't buy obvious bullshit - take away rights that have nothing to do with financial matters, with the 'promise' that they'll be given back later on? C'mon. Pull the other one.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The 'compromise position' is one in which the financial cuts to the unions are accepted, but the removal of their rights is not. The Dems are merely signaling that they won't buy obvious bullshit
In what universe do you reside where when one side says "remove X" and the other says "dont remove X" is "suspend X for 2 years" not a compromise position??
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The 'compromise position' is one in which the financial cuts to the unions are accepted, but the removal of their rights is not. The Dems are merely signaling that they won't buy obvious bullshit
In what universe do you reside where when one side says "remove X" and the other says "dont remove X" is "suspend X for 2 years" not a compromise position??

It's not a compromise, Hawk. Sorry. It's bullshit.

One side is saying 'remove all cuts for unions, including pension cuts and cuts to their rights to organize, period.' The other side says 'cuts for unions, including the right to organize.' The compromise is between the two - not full acceptance of one side for an undefined amount of time.

You're hardly neutral on this one yourself, Hawk. You aligned yourself with the anti-union forces long ago and are now cheering them on to win. So, I don't really give a **** what your opinion is regarding the compromise and fairness of that.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
You're hardly neutral on this one yourself, Hawk. You aligned yourself with the anti-union forces long ago and are now cheering them on to win. So, I don't really give a **** what your opinion is regarding the compromise and fairness of that.
it is not about me, it is about the nature of logic and definitions .....which you have avoided because you dont like how it turns out.
BillRM

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sorry Hawkeye you been sounding like the fox network on this thread.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:43 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
being compared favorably to the most successful news brand in TV is a compliment. ....though I dont watch any of them.
parados

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
being compared favorably to the most successful news brand in TV is a compliment. ....though I dont watch any of them.

You don't quite understand the difference between cable and broadcast TV, do you?

NBC news viewers - 7.8 million
CBS News viewers - 5 million

Fox news network best show - OReilly - 1 million
Total for Fox News per day - 3.3 million
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:10 pm
@parados,
Quote:
You don't quite understand the difference between cable and broadcast TV, do you?
You dont understand the metrics of TV news success, do you....The old networks have been losing viewers for 30 years, and now they are about where newspapers are in that when a user dies they have just lost one customer that they will not replace. The median age of the old network news viewer is over 60, in other words nearly useless for drawing revenue on and and except for at election time at the ballot box nonconsequential in directing the path that AMerica takes. Think about it....how often does anyone at A2K link to or talk about anything that ABC, CBS, or NBC does?? Nobody gives a ****.

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2010/network_tv_audience.php
parados

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The median age of the old network news viewer is over 60

That's a good one hawkeye... Pull my other leg while you are at it..

The median age of viewers for ABC, CBS and NBC is still less than that of FOX NEWS

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117988273?refCatId=1275
Quote:
Among ad-supported cable nets, the news nets (along with older-skewing Hallmark Channel, Golf Channel and GSN's daytime sked) sport the most gray, with Fox News Channel's daytime and primetime skeds the absolute oldest, clocking in with a median age above 65. Youngest nets are the daytime skeds for Noggin and Nickelodeon, with a median age under 10.

Quote:
The median age for Big Three nightly news viewers last year was 62.3,

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Dayparts_update_51/Nightly-news-viewers-are-aging-faster-.asp

Ah.. the metrics of news success. If your viewers are older and less informed you win?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 10:05 pm
@parados,
Actually, that sounds more reasonable, because we have people like okie, ican, and hawk listening to FOX News - their primary and only "news" channel. Those of us who listen to other news channels also knows what FOX says, because they are repeated here by the known conservatives who blog on a2k. It's obvious from the misinformation they feed here which I find fascinating. We can show them in so many ways why they are wrong, but it doesn't seem to penetrate what they've already learned from FOX.

Facts are not important to them; only political lies and innuendos.