revelette

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:20 pm
Quote:
MADISON, Wis. – The leader of the Wisconsin Democrats who fled the state nearly three weeks ago asked Gov. Scott Walker on Monday for an in-person meeting to discuss Walker's budget proposal that would strip most public employees of collective bargaining rights.

The Democrats also planned to meet among themselves Monday to discuss their next move and ways they could return to Madison.

"This is watershed week," said Sen. Chris Larson of Milwaukee, a member of the AWOL group. "I think we've had some pretty big victories. Obviously bringing the attention of what this legislation does to the state is pretty key."

The stalemate has drawn national attention and placed Wisconsin at the center of the debate over the future of union rights. Walker's proposal, which he says was designed to balance the state's budget, remains in limbo because without the 14 Democrats, the state Senate does not have enough members present for a quorum.

Democratic senators said Monday that pressure is mounting on Walker and Republicans to compromise after weeks of protests that have attracted tens of thousands of people to the Capitol. In addition, polls show substantial opposition to the governor and his plan, and recall efforts have been launched against Republican senators. Recall efforts have also been launched against the Democrats.

Walker's proposal would remove most collective bargaining rights for public employees, except over wage increases no greater than inflation. Police and fire departments would be the only exemptions. The legislation would also require state workers to start paying more for their pension and health care benefits starting in April, which amounts to an 8 percent pay cut on average.

The unions have agreed to the pay concessions as long as they can retain their bargaining rights. Rallies the past three weekends at the Capitol in opposition to the bill have grown as large as 80,000 people.

"We want to come back to the state of Wisconsin and stand with these hundreds of thousands of citizens who are now engaged," said Democratic Sen. Bob Jauch. "Every day I feel like I'm closer to getting back because there has to be a transition from us to the rest of us. This isn't our fight. This is the citizens' fight."

Since last week, Democratic Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller has been talking about the importance of returning to oppose Walker's larger budget bill, which cuts about $1 billion from public schools and local governments to deal with a projected $3.6 billion shortfall.

"I don't think a lot of us have the stomach to stay away and watch our state plummet off a cliff," Larson said.

Miller sent a letter Monday to Walker and the Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald asking for an in-person meeting "as soon as possible to resume negotiations" on how to resolve the impasse over the bill.

Both sides had been talking last week, but negotiations broke down Thursday.

Walker and Fitzgerald did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"What we have been doing from the beginning is trying to reach out and find some sort of compromise," said Democratic Sen. Jon Erpenbach. "I think the pressure is really on them to find and forge some way to resolve this this week."

He and other Democrats said they were optimistic a deal could be reached soon.

"I don't think anyone expects us to stay here forever," Jauch said.

Among the 14 who fled the state is Sen. Julie Lassa, who is pregnant, and Sen. Fred Risser, who at 83 has been in the Legislature since 1956. He is the longest serving lawmaker in the country.

"There are some realities that have to be faced," Jauch said, referring to the fact that Lassa is now more than seven months' pregnant.

If Democrats return without meaningful concessions, the protests will only intensify, he said.

"It's very difficult because I realize even though we didn't plan it this way, people are resting their hopes on our decisions," Jauch said. "I know that at the point we return some people are going to be terribly let down. We have to communicate with them that we stand together."

Wis. Senate Democratic leader asks Walker to meet

Perhaps with now that polls favor unions, the democrats can pull a few republicans over to their side when they do return. If not, at least the people in Wisconsin and the rest of the country know what is at stake and can continue to fight it.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:27 pm
@revelette,
There are multible reports that the Dems will allow the vote, and then try to bash the GOP with it in recalls and the next election cycle now that they think the public supports them. However, the Dems are denying this.

The question that the Dems need to ask themselves is the one I asked a while back, which is "how much do people care about this issue?".
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

There are multible reports that the Dems will allow the vote, and then try to bash the GOP with it in recalls and the next election cycle now that they think the public supports them. However, the Dems are denying this.

By 'multiple reports' you mean 'the Wall Street Journal reported, and others quoted them as having reported that.'

Quote:
The question that the Dems need to ask themselves is the one I asked a while back, which is "how much do people care about this issue?".

Turns out they care a lot. That's why Walker's numbers have sank badly and the Dems' have not.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Turns out they care a lot. That's why Walker's numbers have sank badly and the Dems' have not
We dont know that yet, approval ratings means something but not as much as you think they do. The fact that this story is now mostly ignored by the press is not a good sign for the dems, as journalism is now a supply and demand business. The status of the recall efforts against the 8 Dems and 8 GOP Senators is meaningful, but we dont know how they are going.

I take stock in the claims that the Dems are coming back because it makes sense re the recalls and because more than one Dem has said that this is the plan.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's a smoke screen... the people do not support the unions.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Turns out they care a lot. That's why Walker's numbers have sank badly and the Dems' have not
We dont know that yet, approval ratings means something but not as much as you think they do.

What do they mean?

Quote:
The fact that this story is now mostly ignored by the press is not a good sign for the dems, as journalism is now a supply and demand business.

Ignored? It's one of the top stories on Google and the story about the Dems' latest demand (meet us at the border to negotiate) is on the front page of CNN. It's discussed every day on both the left and right-wing blogs I read.

You're full of ****, just sort of making stuff up.

Quote:
The status of the recall efforts against the 8 Dems and 8 GOP Senators is meaningful, but we dont know how they are going.

I guess you don't. I know how the status of the recall of Walker himself and the 8 GOP members is going - they are raising money hand over fist from out-of-state.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:39 pm
Wi democrats are a bunch of spineless pussies!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Ignored? It's one of the top stories on Google and the story about the Dems' latest demand (meet us at the border to negotiate) is on the front page of CNN. It's discussed every day on both the left and right-wing blogs I read.
Both Yahoo! and Google run a counter of mentions of search terms on their news sites, I have not looked at Google but Yahoo! has it that this story has disappeared on the terms "scott walker wisconsin".
Quote:
I know how the status of the recall of Walker himself and the 8 GOP members is going
Considering that there is no effort to recall Walker so I know that you are lying about that I doubt the entirety of your claim.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Both Yahoo! and Google run a counter of mentions of search terms on their news sites, I have not looked at Google but Yahoo! has that this story has disappeared.

'Search terms' aren't the same thing as news. Nothing NEW has happened in this case, so there's no interest that's pumping a bunch of people to search for specific terms. You always see a fall-off in search traffic after the initial period of excitement ends. However, political writers and pundits are still talking and writing about this extensively.

So, yeah: you're full of ****. You have to fall back on some crazy metric to try and justify your made-up opinions.
Quote:

Quote:
I know how the status of the recall of Walker himself and the 8 GOP members is going
Considering that there is no effort to recall Walker so I know that you are lying about that I doubt the entirety of your claim.
[/quote]

http://www.unitedwisconsin.com/

Walker can't be recalled legally until 11/3/11, a year after his election. So, they are gathering pledges for signatures now, so they can get them all pretty quickly by that date.

In 10 days they've gotten 20% of the signatures they need to get a recall election going, once it's active.

You don't even know the first thing about what you are talking about, Hawkeye. It must be embarrassing for you to log on and have to see your talking points get wrecked by facts time after time.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Walker can't be recalled legally until 11/3/11, a year after his election. So, they are gathering pledges for signatures now, so they can get them all pretty quickly by that date.
That is as meaningful as a facebook "like", as in not. There are several sites were people are asking for commitments to recall, but that is not a recall effort. They dont even have the time frame right, as signatures cant be collected till Jan 2012, not "in the fall". You have heard how the abstinence and drug free pledges work in practice, have you not? Getting people to make a claim for future behaviour has no effect on future behaviour, and does not help predict what that future behaviour will be.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
That is as meaningful as a facebook "like", as in not. There are several sites were people are asking for commitments to recall, but that is not a recall effort. They dont even have the time frame right, as signatures cant be collected till Jan 2012, not "in the fall". You have heard how the abstinence and drug free pledges work in practice, have you not? Getting people to make a claim for future behaviour has no effect on future behaviour, and does not help predict what that future behaviour will be.

You can't spin your way out of this one, Hawk. You got revealed and you don't like it. Every time you make a claim and it's shown to be false, you just retreat into some other explanation. It's ridiculous and childish, just admit that you were wrong and move on.

I'm bored with your idiocy, I think I'll go back to ignoring you for a while.

Cyclotpichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:11 pm
hawk just loves to stir the pot; because that's how he gets people to respond to his stupid opinions. He's a bait and switch poster on a2k with conflicts that'll fill the Grand Canyon. I'm more than sure many have put him on Ignore, because less and less people bother to "talk" to him.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
because less and less people bother to "talk" to him
Really? I had not noticed.

I do love a good debate, that is the only part of your "analysis" that you got right.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Egos like yours prove my point. Gaddafi also said "my people love me!"
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Egos like yours prove my point. Gaddafi also said "my people love me!"
Someone pissed in your Cherrios this morning I see...After your multi year turd throwing contest with Okie you expect your opinion on matters of Ego to carry weight around here?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Naw, you're always pissing in everybody else's breakfast. You just don't "get it."
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Again we see that either Walker is a political idiot or the DEMS are wrong
Quote:
MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Gov. Scott Walker says a request from the leader of Senate Democrats to meet along the Illinois-Wisconsin border is ridiculous.

Walker said Monday that Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller has been standing in the way of progress on negotiations with other Democrats to end an impasse over a bill taking away collective bargaining rights from public workers.

Walker says he doesn't know who is in charge of the 14 Democrats who fled to Illinois to block a vote on the measure.

Miller says Walker can talk with any Democrat he wants if he doesn't want to deal with him.

http://www.wqow.com/Global/story.asp?S=14202786

The story goes that Walker is so weakened by public opinion that he will agree to a face saving for the Dems meeting to end the dispute. Nope.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
. You just don't "get it."
I said from day one that I am a radical, which by definition means that few people agree with me. This does not mean that I am wrong however. If I am wrong prove it, your popularity metric does nothing for me, only the convergence of reality with beliefs does.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Madison, WI —
TV exclusive interview, determined Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Friday began the legal notification process that could lead to 1,500 state employees losing their jobs in April. He also said that President Barack Obama should stay out of his state’s fiscal crisis and instead ought to focus on “the much, much graver budget crisis we have in our nation’s capital, which he’s failed to lead on.
http://www.kiowacountysignal.com/homepage/x1512123399/Walker-tells-Obama-to-butt-out-of-his-states-business

Democrats should be able to get behind this statement of state sovereignty, but it is highly unlikely that they will. This issue will be good to the GOP next election cycle.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I said from day one that I am a radical

Then why don't I see you at any of the meetings?