gotten a lead = been in a leading position?

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 04:47 am
Context:

"This is a great starting point," said Dunman. "We've identified a compound that is very active against RnpA, and now we can use chemistry to try to increase its potency by hundreds of times, as well as make it less toxic to human cells. We've gotten a lead from the drug screen, and now we're building a better molecule."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 475 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:24 am
No, "get a lead" means to find a clue, a pointer with which one can develop an idea or a method. "I got a lead on a new stock, i invested, and i made good money"--means i got information that was not immediately obvious about a new stock which might perform well.
oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:40 am
@Setanta,
Thanks.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 07:20 am
And never use the word gotten when conversing with a British person, because they will either have no clue as to what you are talking about, or immediately guess that you have learned your English whilst listening to something like the MTV channel.

In fact, when I was at school, my very traditional English Teacher used to dock marks from any written piece with the word got in it, as he said it was totally useless.

I've got a cold ( I have a cold)

He's got to go ( he has to go)

I got a lead (I gained a lead)

Whether I fully agree with his got obsession or not, I can't help but wince when I see the word gotten being used.

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:56 am
Well, this has gotten out of hand.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 04:21 pm
@Old Goat,

That may be so, but Bill Bryson in his very good book Mother Tongue states that "gotten" used in this way is 18th C UK English which has fallen out of use here, but is still extant across the pond.

The Yanks didn't invent it.
Old Goat

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 04:40 pm
@McTag,
I would have thought that Bill Bryson had gotten himself a lot on his hands with all that litter clearance, to have gotten enough time to write about how our illiterates went over and tainted that fine language that is Americanglish.

I'm currently watching Ian Hislop interview ladies of the night on the beeb.

That's where our license fee is going.
0 Replies