Mad Cow USA

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 03:42 pm
Who here is worried about the mad cow situation that is developing here? I certainly am. They are telling us to not worry, yet all it takes is one cow for the US government to stop importing from the country with the outbreak. Now we have one infected cow. Hmmm....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 870 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 04:26 pm
Canada had one cow too. It cost us billions. Farmers, stockyards, truckers and packing plants were all severely affected. Farms were lost as were lives taken by suicidal hands. It wasn't pretty. The US still has not opened the borders fully to Canada. I'm curious to see what the effect will be, I hope US farmers don't suffer the same fate as their canadian counterparts but...it would be nice to see our punishment end.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 04:46 pm
They have killed the cow, and quarantined the herd. Yes, there may be fallout for the beef industry, but people need to be protected.

Alphabet430- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:08 pm
It would Ceili. Maybe when decisions are based on science instead of emotion. . . ?

So, we finally have our cow. Somewhat under the radar - a number of elk have a quite similar disease.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:16 pm
Ack!

I'm sorry but the fact that you can sell a cow "too sick to stand up" to the slaughterhouse to make into food is enough to make me not eat beef anyway - mad cow disease or not.

Sometimes I wish I didn't read the paper.......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:29 pm
Not a pretty industry.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 09:07 pm
Robin Cook did a book centering on e. coli and the beef industry. Guess what I was half way finished eating when I got to the slaughter house scene.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 09:12 pm
I stopped eating beef, oh...., over 15 years ago.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:25 am
Your guide to beefThe safest? Beefsteaks, roasts and hamburger ground from labeled cuts.What's riskier? Ground beef, hot dogs, taco meat and luncheon meats that are made from several sources of meat.Why? Mad cow disease is found only in the brain and spinal cord. The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires any processed meat using those parts to be labeled as such, but there is no guarantee that it is happening.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/149133p-131488c.html
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:44 am
So far our isolation has protected us.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:46 am
Boomerang offered this....
Quote:
I'm sorry but the fact that you can sell a cow "too sick to stand up" to the slaughterhouse to make into food is enough to make me not eat beef anyway - mad cow disease or not.

Can you imagine what the people who read The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair, thought about eating beef when that book first came out?

I would have immediately began a diet of carrots and dirt.

If I remember correctly, that book was responsible for the forming of the FDA.

Hell of a book.... I think I'll read it again.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
Wilso said...
Quote:
So far our isolation has protected us.

I wouldn't get too smug, Wilso. I just saw a couple of angry-lookin' cows swimming your way.
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 03:44 pm
The meat industry deserves to lose billions - they're still adding sick lifestock to the foodchain, instead of cremating them.

The brain and spine of this particular "mad cow" has already been used to make poultry feed and several other products, so there's no tracing or controlling it.

Oh well......I guess that losing fortunes may create some tougher laws.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:27 pm
I agree with boomerang. I think even more disturbing than the fact there is the presence of mad cow disease is that an inspector failed to stop the diseased cow from entering the food chain. At least the cow in Canada was removed and deemed unfit for human consumption.

I am also really bothered by the fact that American government officials are pointing the blame at Canada before this information can be fully substantiated. The cow owner's records indicate this cow was 4 and a half years old whereas records from the supposed Canadian source say it is 6 and a half years old. Why the discrepancy?

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about consumption. I stopped eating meat more years ago than I care to admit. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 10:00 pm
When I eat hot dogs, it's Hebrew National. USDA inspectors are the reason for forking over the extra bucks.
0 Replies