How come you get judged because your Emo or Different...?

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 10:55 pm
lm Emo so... Why do l get judged...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,426 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 11:03 pm
@Mickeyy 214,
some folks is afeared of little red fuzzy guys...
Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 11:09 pm
Human nature.
0 Replies

Mickeyy 214

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 11:18 pm
@Rockhead,
What do you mean?
Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 11:33 pm
@Mickeyy 214,
elmo - emo
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 11:55 pm
@Mickeyy 214,
Quote:
Recently, as emo has edged its way into the public consciousness, non-fans of the genre (and even some ironic fans) have taken to using the term as a condescending insult, representing the stereotype of the angst-filled and overly-dramatic teenager. Examples include "cheer up, emo kid" or "don't mind him, he's just being emo
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Emo Emo also means dumb to me, or playing dumb. I don't care to encourage dumb dramatics with our youth.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:05 am
@Ceili,
dang.

it's a good thing I didn't go looking for a tickle me Emo doll.

how sad and un-fun would that be...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 10:12 am
@Mickeyy 214,
Quote:
lm Emo so... Why do l get judged...

When you grow out of it, you'll know !
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:09 am
@Mickeyy 214,
There has always been a dark strand in mainstream society to knee-jerkishly counterreact to minorities such as the overly melodramatic subcultures of emo and goths.

Judgement comes from widely held stereotypes against emos. Those individuals proclaiming emo status are depicted/interpreted as slackers by their non-emo peers. Mainstream society also might erroneously associate drug use to the emo population.

That this attempt at social rebellion is just mainly a minor aesthetic sensibility and not really an actual set of virtues and beliefs.

Not only are emos deemed as lazy individuals but insincere and inexperienced with the real world. That only well to do suburban teenagers pick up the emo subculture and style because to dress up in said style is quite expensive which is counter to its anticommercial/antiretail message.

Emos are seen as overly melancholic despite the fact their parents are well off financially thus the emo teens are not subjected to any real world pressures that would induce these strains of melancholy in nonemos.

Then there is the possible homophobic strain that rips into the male emo population who adorn themselves in feminine cosmetics.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 03:56 am
@tsarstepan,
I think tsarstephan that you have the rebellion part wrong, because the goths and the emo like the Herbivore men of Japan have given up on the world around them and have retreated into a whiny narcissistic fantasy life. They are slackers and are despised for that more even more it is their lack of will to fight for which which we look down upon them with disgust.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 06:01 am
@Mickeyy 214,
why do you care, **** them, life's to short to worry about what others think

when ever this sort of subject come up on my my fave radio show, radio god ron bennington always suggests that the school system, instead of teaching anti bullying courses, should teach a course called, "high school won't last for ever, and with some hard work i'll get out of this **** dick town and never see any of you hayseeds again", do your best to make that happen
mismi

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 07:24 am
@djjd62,
I think people get judged when they are different. Doesn't matter how old you are either. When groups of people collect together in a social setting, and someone different comes into it, it seems to be an innate protective measure to push away and estrange the person that is different coming in. Whether they are afraid the person is going to mess up the dynamic or change things when they don't want them changed, who knows?

Jr. High (those tween and early teen years) are horrid because the kids are in the midst of a very insecure time themselves. So they collect with folks that are like them. You don't see the cliques starting until Jr. High - and I think this is why...You clique with who you are like and you belittle those that are not like you to make yourself feel better.

I have seen adults do the same thing though. It's unfortunate that people do it but I think Ceili is right - it seems to be part of human nature.

Didge has a point in that learning to deal with it - knowing who you are and being happy with it is all that matters. Realizing that those that judge and make fun of you, are insecure and do not have a good grounding in their own belief in who they are and that may help you deal with it...because - you may move eventually - but you may come upon it again. Best to know who you are and to be true to it.

Best advice - figure out why you do what you do - if you are happy with your reasons...stick with it and count the ones that criticize and judge as the ones with the problem.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 11:02 pm
We all get judged. Every one of us. Doesn't matter how old you are or how you present yourself. You'll get judged by your peers as well as your elders...and by those younger than you, too!

You'll be judged by your appearance, your speech, your apparent ethnicity, your educational background, where you live, your financial status, your religion (or lack of), the car you drive (or don't), who your friends are, and about a hundred other factors. It's inevitable. We all get judged, and we all judge others. It's human nature.

The trick is to not let it bother you.
0 Replies

bbbeeeaaarrrsss

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 07:50 pm
@Mickeyy 214,
everyone gets judged nomatter what group ur in. none of it even matters, so dont pay attention to it. some people just dont especialy like emos. i dont like the whole emo thing and i really dont get it or see whats so appealing about it but what everyone thinks shouldnt matter to u
0 Replies

Mickeyy 214

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:48 pm
@Mickeyy 214,
Thnxx Guyss Its helped alott I understand it alott now why I get judged
0 Replies