Is this racist, weird, or what?

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:04 am
I don't know if it's "racist" - it is ver specific . . .
Most likely, someone found the presentor/speaker and they created a subject area around him/her.

Conferences offering seminars about raising kids are common in my community. The breakout groups then tend to be more specific., i.e. ADHD kids; girls, suicide issues, substance abuse, etc.

You might express interest in a more general approach to the subject area and see what they say . . .

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:07 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
It just really left me scratching my head as to why "family leadership" would be different for different races.

I'm still puzzled that you don't see that family leadership can differ by culture.
boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:31 am
@ehBeth,
Because I don't see my neighbor's "culture" as being that fundamentally different than mine.
engineer

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:48 am
@boomerang,
But they might. I'm sure I have a blind spot on things specifically impacting minority communities because I never experience them. It would be interesting to see how these courses present material differently from how it would be presented in a general "fathers in education" course.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:17 am
@boomerang,
ok

that seems like a very majority culture response to me

perhaps I 'feel' that as I was not raised in a majority culture home - but family life and expectations can vary significantly by culture

there are exceptions to every rule, but really, not recognizing how different cultures approach things seems blinkered to me
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:22 am
I was raised by immigrants, trust me, I had a very different upbringing then my "canadian" friends.
boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:24 am
@Ceili,
That's a good point. Perhaps they should address the class to recent immigrants.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:34 am
@boomerang,
Perhaps there will be other classes for recent immigrants - or perhaps those are already available in the community.

It seems a need has been identified. Terrific there is an effort to address it.

It's not a need you've identifed as important, but that's a separate issue.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:36 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Because I don't see my neighbor's "culture" as being that fundamentally different than mine.

you don't need to see the difference for there to be a difference

I'm sure there are things that happen in your family that your neighbours don't know about - or don't recognize as being significant.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 02:58 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

It's called, however you can apply it, "teaching moments."

How else could this be done? We can't take the black children in a separate class to teach them what they need to know.

Obama made a promise to black people to improve the manner in which the kids are taught, to repair and improve schools, and to build new schools. I guess some of the black schools are in shambles.

That's honorable.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 03:10 pm
@boomerang,
Obama seems to think it very very important that the history and present conditions of black people be known to everybody, beginning with our institutions of learning (lower grades in particular). Then, apparently, we will all "understand."

I do not, however, believe that is necessary. We all know already, or, are being taught by parents. Also, there are others immigrating to the US who would like to be "understood."
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:32 pm
http://english.aljazeera.net/video/americas/2011/01/201112893020935982.html
0 Replies