Is this racist, weird, or what?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:59 am
@Miller,
Miller, That's an excellent observation. Even here in Silicon Valley, catholic schools do very well (and we're considered wealthy by national standards). They're doing something that promotes success for all their students; why hasn't educational experts used this method in public schools?
Miller

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Miller, That's an excellent observation. Even here in Silicon Valley, catholic schools do very well (and we're considered wealthy by national standards). They're doing something that promotes success for all their students; why hasn't educational experts used this method in public schools?

Perhaps those in power are afraid that "discipline" might hurt the kids in public school. Many of the Chicago Catholic High Schools were male only and discipline ( in the old days ) was inforced by either a Priest or a Brother. But, where the enrollment was/is co-educational, discipline was/is still inforced by nuns.

Will public schools permit discipline to be inforced in their schools?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:09 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Will public schools permit discipline to be inforced in their schools?
Shoud government be DISCIPLINING the citizens??

Who works for whom?

Who created what ?
Ceili

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:09 am
The Fraser institute has just come out with a startling new discovery, the absolute best schools in British Columbia is run by a break-away mormon polygamist community in Bountiful. They've been in court recently defending polygamy and may change the definition of marriage in this country.
I swear the sky is falling. These people routinely marry young girls to old men, who have collections... They kick young men out of the community at the ripe old age of 17 to fend for themselves so they wont compete with the old farts for young virginal flesh.
I'm still not sure why education is so important to them, as girls aren't seen as much more than baby factories....
But I'll give them credit for putting the rest of us to shame, acedemically that is.

Back to the story at hand, I say do what ever you can to keep kids in school and give them a shot at a decent life. In Alberta - can't speak for the rest of the country, we have large native communities with similar problems. These kind of programs seem to be helping them. If the groups in question are part of the solution, involving families, it seems to work even better, instead of being preached to..
Miller

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:18 am
In several of the Charter schools in Chicago, the best teachers seem to be men, who have had military experience and were involved in the teaching of all male students.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If I don't file my tax return this April, will the Government give me a reward?
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:59 am
@boomerang,
At first - like others I just figured that statistically there are more single moms in black families and that fathers tend to be more absent less involved (statistically) than other groups. But then like you mentioned any race could benefit from emphasizing the importance of fathers in a child's life even if there are more absent fathers for black children. It is still important.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:03 pm
@Ceili,
I do think in these cases it is the disclipine - Catholic and other private schools. They are also in a position to boot children if they do not behave or perform by the standards of the school.

There are also many inner city Catholic schools that the children attend for free via scholorships and other funds. I've attended some "thank you" meetings with the kiddies singing and stuff as a representative of my work place as we provide some funding to these schools.
Miller

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:09 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I do think in these cases it is the disclipine - Catholic and other private schools. They are also in a position to boot children if they do not behave or perform by the standards of the school.

There are also many inner city Catholic schools that the children attend for free via scholorships and other funds.

I knew a Catholic family with 17 kids in Chicago, who put their kids through Catholic School free, by the mother doing the laundry for the nuns ,who taught in the school and resided in the convent adjacent to the school.
boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:11 pm
@Linkat,
Yes!! Thank you!

I think that's why it seems kind of weirdly racist to me. It's a cross cultural problem, not specific to black families, so why do they make it about black families?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:16 pm
@Miller,
Miller, Good response. Same goes for many other laws including having a driver's license, having auto insurance, and jay-walking fines in some cities.
Miller

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

... jay-walking fines in some cities.

Dallas is a City famous for this.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 03:52 pm
@Miller,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Miller wrote:
If I don't file my tax return this April, will the Government give me a reward?
That is their extortion.
I guess u can call that discipline.

David
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, You aren't afraid of the IRS are you - with all them guns you own?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
David, You aren't afraid of the IRS are you - with all them guns you own?
The IRS does not care about that.

Let me ask u something; this is NOT a taunt.
I 'd honestly like to know this,
toward the end of my being less ignorant than I am now:

in your opinion,
what is the reason for the Japanese rape of Nanking, the capital of China in 1937?

So far as I am aware,
altho the Japanese were very demanding and harsh
elsewhere, this was unique; i.e., the Japanese
were innocent of doing this except only ONCE, in Nanking.

After the surrender of the capital of China, Nanking,
the sexes were separated. All males of all ages were killed.

The females of all ages (presumably not including babies)
were then raped to death over a period of several months.

WHAT WAS IT, in particular, about that specific city
that brought down such wrath and ill will upon its citizens ?

Again, this is NOT a taunt
and no disrespect is intended.
I 'd genuinely like to know about this incident.

Can u enlighten us, Imposter ??

David
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, You're asking the wrong person; I'm not a China-Japan historian. I'm a third generation American. What makes you think I have answers to such stupid questions?

All I know are a) what Japan did in their atrocities in all of Asia was wrong, b) Japanese soldiers were treated brutally by their commanders, and c) you continue to show your ignorance by asking me about an incident that happened when I was a baby.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:43 pm
@Miller,
So did I, although that family had fourteen kids. Both mother and father did work for the parish, though dad had another job. The oldest girl was one of us, us being The Secret Pine Club. She went on to teach on an indian reservation, as did another secret pine club member (there were five of us), and later teach in the Chicago school system. She was very funny, quite a wonderful kid and later, woman. We're still in touch (that was in the early fifties).

Anyway, I have the impression from keeping in touch with those girls, that people in my class generally did pretty darn well - I left the Chicago area after the last year of that school. I've complained about my school background, as we had tons of rote, and I didn't learn to consider conflicting ideas, much less argue them from different sides, until I went to a state university years later... and also from reading on my own. Still, they taught basics as they were known then so that ever last person got most of it and had some fun doing it.

On whether this is all racist or not, I can see both sides - what Linkat just mentioned and what Boom was getting at, and then, say, Ceili's take, on just do it, address this stuff. Pretty much agreeing with Boom and Link.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
David, You're asking the wrong person; I'm not a China-Japan historian. I'm a third generation American. What makes you think I have answers to such stupid questions?

All I know are a) what Japan did in their atrocities in all of Asia was wrong, b) Japanese soldiers were treated brutally by their commanders, and c) you continue to show your ignorance by asking me about an incident that happened when I was a baby.
OK. I am not afraid to show my ignorance (nor to reduce it).
I know that EVERYONE is ignorant,
but some people don 't know that thay are ignorant.

Thanx anyway.

David
0 Replies

xrisxs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:36 am
I think I agree with you. In my opinion I would say it has some racist tones. I love the differences of people. Imagine if this planet had one race. It would be borring.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:48 pm
@boomerang,
"What My School Didn't Know: The Importance of Black Teachers Taking a Pro-active Role in Children's Education"

Quote:
Data also shows that 9.3% of elementary and middle school teachers are black, and 7.1% are Hispanic. The Asian community is even less represented, with 2.4% of teachers at this grade level being Asian. These figures draw concern since they are not in keeping with the racial makeup of the United States. Schools that are predominantly Hispanic or black might be lucky to have one or two teachers who are from their culture, and thus represent role models for a community.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-percent-of-the-us-population-do-teachers-comprise.htm
0 Replies