apostrophes!!!

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 07:02 am
Who can clarify when an apostrophe is used? I'm studying a proofreading course and the use of these cursed things have brought up all the nightmares of english class when i was at school. It seems that the english rules have changed since i was at school.!!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 684 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Eva

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 12:25 pm
I am an editor and a journalism teacher. There are many complicated rules, but the simplest way to remember them is this:

Apostrophes are for possessives and contractions ... NOT plurals.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:06 pm

Definitely not plural's.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:24 pm
Here's a handy little site for you...

http://www.write101.com/sample.htm

Very simple, really. Two rules with a few exceptions. Print it out.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:43 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Here's a handy little site for you...

http://www.write101.com/sample.htm

From the site:
Quote:
Some words sound awkward when an apostrophe 's' is added:

Jesus's disciples.

The accepted form here is to just use the 's' apostrophe:

Jesus' disciples.

N.B. This only applies to names of Biblical or historical significance e.g. Jesus, Moses, Zeus, Demosthenes, Ramses ... the rest of us whack in the apostrophe and add an 's.'

Moses' followers, Zeus' priests, Demosthenes' teachings, Ramses' pyramid

Others don't have the same clumsy sound:

The princess's chair.

The important thing is to be consistent in your use of the form - nothing is writ in stone!

Great Zeus' beard! It takes a special sort of genius to introduce an inconsistent exception to a simple rule and then admonish the reader that "the important thing is to be consistent." As far as I can tell, the "only an apostrophe for biblical possessives" comes from Strunk & White's Manual of Style, that pernicious book of obvious truisms randomly scattered about with completely chowderheaded nonsense like this. There's nothing clumsy or awkward about writing "Jesus's disciples" instead of "Jesus' disciples." There's only one Jesus, so the rule on forming singular possessives should be followed.
JTT

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 07:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
comes from Strunk & White's Manual of Style, that pernicious book of obvious truisms randomly scattered about with completely chowderheaded nonsense like this.

Laughing

America's two grammar gurus.
0 Replies