I like a guy I never used to get along with, it's still awkward between us. What should I do?

xNina

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:52 pm
I like a guy who I never used to get along with. We are both 17 and go to school together. We hang around with the same small group of close friends but have never gotten along ourselves; we would argue about pretty much everything and always have conflicting opinions.

Over the past year or so, we have learnt to get along better. We can hold a decent conversation and be nice to each other in the group. Anyway, I've also realised I like him. I tried to ignore it at first, but it's been ages and it isn't going away. I don't know what to do.

While we get along better and don't act like we hate each other anymore, it's still pretty awkward between us outside of a group situation. It seems strange for me to even go up and say hi to him and would be weird for me to talk to him on facebook. Our friends often tease us about actually having a 'love-hate' relationship or secretly liking each other, which we have both always taken great offense to. This also means that when we are having a good conversation one of them will often make a remark and that will immediately end it. Neither of us have had a relationship before (that I know of), and I am pretty awkward and shy around guys in general, and it's worse with him. I don't think I'd have the confidence to go right up and tell him.

I have no idea if he would feel the same, sometimes I think I notice possible signs but I suspect I'm just overreading pointless things. How can I drop hints that I might like him without being obvious, and how can I pick up clues that he might like me more easily?

We really don't have much in common, like I said we have very conflicting opinions about everything from trivial things to deeper matters, and we have completely different personalities and like different things. I have a lot of trouble starting a conversation with him that isn't awkward or obvious.

I really like him and I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon. Could you give me any hints on how I can talk to him without it being awkward? How can I hint to him that I might like him and read into whether he might feel the same? How can I develop a better friendship with him? Is there even any point in a relationship between two such completely different people?

Thank you everyone!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,483 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 12:32 am
You haven't said anything about WHY you like him, when you don't seem to have anything in common or have any similar opinions or thoughts or feelings. Those can be fairly major strikes against a potential relationship right there.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 05:44 am
@xNina,
Quote:
We really don't have much in common, like I said we have very conflicting opinions about everything from trivial things to deeper matters, and we have completely different personalities and like different things. I have a lot of trouble starting a conversation with him that isn't awkward or obvious.

If Jame Carville and Mary Matalin can maintain a marriage and at the same time disagree strongly and constantly on National TV news shows there hope for any couple.

Quote:
How can I drop hints that I might like him without being obvious, and how can I pick up clues that he might like me more easily?

Bringing up such a situation might be a fun way of giving the guy a hint that you might be willing to overlook his “wrong” opinions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Abby: How do Mary Matalin and James Carville stay married without homicide?
Comments (8) (80)(0)December 27, 2009 | 2:38 pm

Line 5. Indiana, you're on the air with Mary Matalin and James Carville.

Like many other viewers over the years, CNN's John King wondered out loud today about the unlikely political duo. Carville ran Democrat Bill Clinton's unlikely and ultimately successful presidential campaign in 1992 while Matalin ran the unsuccessful reelection campaign for George Bush I.

Yet the politically disparate couple seem to remain happily married with their stark disagreements added atop the normal pressures of married life. Are there lessons in there somewhere for those feuding dummies up on Capitol Hill?

So today on the air King finally asked the question on the minds of many (video below).

Here's the whole brief, enlightening, entertaining and seemingly good-natured exchange from King's "State of the Union":

King: Our viewers have watched throughout the year. And so you come in here exclusively with us. And they often ask, "How can these two disagree so much and get along?"

And so we asked people to text in a question for James and Mary. And here's what we got from Indiana:

"Love you both. Can you show both houses of Congress your secret for compromise?"

Matalin: Well, we're not a democracy. We're an enlightened MOM-archy. That's what we are. [Cross talk.]
Carville: I don't -- it's nothing if -- as long as one person is not arguing, there's nothing to argue about. I don't have a -- [Laughter.]

Carville: I don't have a position on anything domestically. So I just say yes, and then go on and do it. I mean it. I would say the three ingredients to successful marriage is surrender, capitulation and retreat. If you've got those three things -- [Laughter.]

Matalin: Spoken like a true liberal. What a martyr. Faith, family and good wine. That's how we do it.

-- Andrew Malcolm

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 09:46 am
These love-hate relationships are SO exciting and maybe that's the attraction. Things are never boring.

Personally, I like a guy that is not so argumentative.

It's just so exhausting to have a relationship with someone who zaps your energy . . .
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 10:14 am
@xNina,
Ah to be 17 again... I had a relationship like this. We hated each other at first, mostly because there was such an attraction but we didn't pick up on it right away... then came the subtle signs... then came the first kiss... then came the I love you... but unfortunately I grew up and he did not.....the joys of being a teenager. How I miss it!

Ok, so you like him, I assume you think about him all the time. You always catch eyes at the same time and then turn away.

You have four options
1) Wait to see if he makes a move... this may make you go crazy if he is too shy
2) Tell him how you feel... he may respond the way you want or he may not... it is all a risk.
3) Wait for the right moment... and kiss him (I am a sucker for movie type loves lol sorry)
4) Nothing (pretty similar to option one actually)

Odds are, if your friends see it from the 3rd party perspective, there is a good chance it is true...

in order to feel love you need to take risk.

0 Replies