Do you donate?

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:10 am
@Wyngs,
Donors Choose looks like a great fit for you:

http://www.donorschoose.org/

It's specific to schools. There are other, similar organizations that I can't remember the name of right now. If I successfully find them I'll post here.
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 02:01 pm
@sozobe,
I remembered the other one I had in mind: Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

I think Donors Choose is probably a better fit, but Kickstarter is along the same lines in terms of direct contact with the people who receive your donation.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:18 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
The possibility of you being scammed is extremely high unless you go through some sort of organization. But, really, a soup kitchen or something like St. Vincent de Paul would have people coming in. If these individuals wanted to give you their address then no one is stopping them from doing so (I doubt that the organizations would be permitted to just hand over addresses). Me? I would find it creepy and upsetting for someone to be asking me for my address so that they could send me charity.
There is NO chance of being scammed,
if u select your own donation target and personally execute the gift.
Some call them: "random acts of senseless kindness" a/k/a: rasks.
Additionally, that entails no requests for addresses.

David
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 07:34 am
Now that Jerry Lewis is no longer with MDA, who will continue to donate to this charity?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:18 pm
@Miller,
No.
I never donated to it.
I rather disliked Jerry Lewis,
except toward the beginning of his career
when he was partnered with Dean Martin.
I deemed him to be very humorous then.

He thereafter chose the personality of a jerk.
I never took his advice about anything.

David
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:29 pm
@Mame,
I donate and volenteer to different organizations but I will never donate to the salvation army. I just returned from Publix Supermarket where I was asked by a very polite older women to donate money. I told her I stopped supporting the Salvation Army because they are homophobic and that they fund and are in a movement to restrict gay american's tax rights, she looked like she never heard that before and in her most understanding and polite manner instructed me to work from the top for change...she seemed sympathetic...I told her it will take alot of change...but I do my part...even simply by letting her know my deal...we ended with "Happy Holidays"...smiled and I was on my way...if everyone stood up to the bell ringers at this time of the year...that message will reach the top.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 09:29 pm
@jcboy,
This organizational stuff bothers me. It's fulgent pipsqueak meaning well. Not to denigrate, but it misses a lot.
Look around you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 12:22 am
@jcboy,
I stopped donating to them
when thay began to say: "Happy Holidays",
but truth be told b4 then, I tended to donate to them
only when a really pretty girl was ringing the bell, for her delight.

I am underwhelmed with collectivist charities.

David
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 07:59 pm
@ossobuco,
My friend Maria is the founder of Brown Bag Lunches. I don’t have the time to volunteer but Marco and I currently donate and we sponsor four children in our county to make sure they have a healthy lunch meal once a day. You would be surprised how little it costs.
0 Replies

stavenmorris

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 12:33 pm
Donation is really good idea for helping more orphanage and poor people. Donation for charity is really good idea to helping them and increase more funding for helping. Donating o any thing is good for all like Blood, Money, Cloths and time, filling and more. So donation is really best think for all.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 01:16 pm
I'm doing a 22 mile walk from Weston-super-Mare to Wells for Save the Children on Sunday, 27 May. Anyone who'd like to donate can pm me- even 5 or 10 pence a mile (3-7 cents) would be appreciated - certainly better than nothing for children who are starving and in need of medical care and supplies.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 08:28 pm
@Mame,
I have a nice painting I plan on donating to the next silent auction for breast cancer. I always attend the fund raisers. I usually sneak behind people and overbid them by a few bucks so they have to come back and bid over me. Cool
0 Replies

stavenmorris

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:44 am
Yes i will be donate my vintage car of child charity for helping us. Donation is really be nice idea to helping more orphanage and poor people too. And i also be donate money for local orphanage by yearly is really feel good. And you also be the same.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 05:16 pm
Man Buys Entire K-Mart Store - Donates Everything to Charity

Sweet man.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 01:13 pm
Scheduled a blood donation appointment after work today though the Port Authority location always creeps me out. One of the ickiest spots in NYC.
roger

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 01:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
In this town, you have two choices of location.

Take it, or leave it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
Interesting Idea... can you imagine if charitable giving someday got as much attention as black Friday?

Giving Tuesday kicks of giving season.
sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:07 pm
@JPB,
Very interesting!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:18 pm
$25 a month to the UN refugee agency.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 07:38 am
The easiest way to donate ----> Give someone else's money!

Every view (up to 50,000) between now and the Superbowl earns the kids at The Roots of Music $1 from Stubhub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SNl4F5mXRqo
0 Replies