No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:26 pm
@chai2,
21 here, which almost feels mild.
engineer

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:29 pm
@chai2,
70 here. Had to put the top down on the mustang.
chai2

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:36 pm
@jespah,
I know, I shouldn't complain.

I went through 2 winters in Wisconsin. I shook my fist at the sky, and swore to God Almighty that if I ever got out of there, I would never complain about the cold again.

Like Edgar was saying on another thread, we're not prepared for this.
Well, people own coats and gloves and everything (something my family in new jersey could never understand. somehow they thought no one owned coats in texas, and when it got cold, we all sat around in bathing suits and froze.).

It's more about keeping up w/ the energy demands. We've had planned rolling blackouts throughout the area today.

A lot of people who were born around here only experience this cold occassionally.

It's funny to me when I see some little kids.

It'll be like 50 degrees out, and I'll see kids walking to school, wearing jackets, all hunched over with pinched looks on their faces. Like it's zero with a high wind.
Laughing
chai2

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:36 pm
@engineer,
Ha!

where are you?
jespah

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:46 pm
@chai2,
We get the opposite here -- piles of snow (although I didn't see any of these kinds of folks today) and people in shorts. For some people, there is no winter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:59 pm
@chai2,
Put on a coat and quit your whining.
dadpad

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:04 pm
Thats funny Its 'bout 25 here too.... celcius. I'l prolly put the air con on in a minute
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:09 pm
@Linkat,
Haven't worn my long pants, long-sleeved shirt or even socks in awhile now. December was actually colder here (Sarasota FL) than January was.

I have to shut off the a/c now as the temp in my place went over 80. Outside temp is/was 78 deg but the sun's rays are strong enough to heat up my place over 82 deg.

I'm ducking!
For once in my 60 yrs, I missed out on enduring through bad winter weather.
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:11 pm
@Ragman,
Your just a wimp - like all the rest of those "warm" weather freaks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:18 pm
6 F here in Albaturkey, no snow, sun shining dry streets. Sally dog went out for 5 mins, peed-came in. Lady Diane went out to pharm for meds, them home and back to bed.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:24 pm
It was about 17 or 18 degrees last night in Tomball. We are slightly northwest of Houston. Same temp tomorrow morning. And then afternoon or evening snow forecast. We are predicted to have about 3 inches of it, but the local weatherman said he thinks it will be more. And it will stick to the pavement. If that happens I may skip going to work on Friday. Too soon to say for certain, as these things can change quickly in our area.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:46 pm
@dyslexia,
It was 11f here at noon. I looked out yesterday afternoon and the whole windshield on the car was covered with snow. Just covered! from one side to the other.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:49 pm
@dyslexia,
dys and roger

if it was that cold, I'll admit, I wouldn't go out.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:11 pm
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs272.snc6/180066_10150384488760214_748555213_17137971_5310638_n.jpg
chai2

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
good god.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:48 pm
You folks in Austin better get your wood piles inside before it gets dark. Sounds like you are going to need the wood.

http://www.kwes.com/Global/story.asp?S=13956686

Quote:
Rolling Blackouts Caused by Burst Pipes at Power Plants
Posted: Feb 02, 2011 12:39 PM MST

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Burst water pipes at two coal-fired power plants forced them to shut down, triggering rolling power cuts across the state, the lieutenant governor said Wednesday.

Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said this is something that "should not happen." Dewhurst said he was told that water pipes at two plants, Oak Grove and Sand Hill, forced them to cut electricity production. Natural gas power plants that should have provided back up had difficulty starting due to low pressure in the supply lines, also caused by the cold weather.

The lieutenant governor said the demand placed on the Texas grid was nowhere near peak capacity. He said he was frustrated by the situation.

The statewide electricity authority ordered cities across the state to start rolling power outages to cope with the crisis.

engineer

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:12 pm
@chai2,
Wilmington, NC. We got our little taste of spring today. Tomorrow, it's back to the 40's.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:44 am
@Butrflynet,
It is contagious!
Quote:

Natural gas crunch leaves thousands shivering in Southwest

Thu Feb 3, 2011 8:46pm EST

Dennis Carroll

SANTA FE, New Mexico (Reuters) - Thousands of New Mexicans and others across the Southwest were left huddling against bitter cold on Thursday after supplies of natural gas were cut off to their communities.

Frigid weather throughout the region knocked out natural gas production equal to nearly 5 percent of daily nationwide demand as wells froze and plunging temperatures caused problems for processing plants.

The crunch was exacerbated by unusually high heating demands. Production at the wellhead was shut off at facilities across Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez declared a state of emergency and called on residents to lower thermostats, pile on warm clothing and forgo the use of unnecessary appliances for the next 24 hours to conserve energy.

Emergency shelters were in operation around the state, and nonessential state workers were sent home. Many schools dismissed students early.

The New Mexico Gas Co. said high demand prompted by the extreme cold -- single digits in many areas -- coupled with power outages in neighboring Texas were to blame.

"States across the Southwest are experiencing similar situations. Our pipeline system is intact, and our crews are working to minimize the impact of this temporary situation," the utility said in a statement.

Supplies were cut in New Mexico communities from Tularosa in the south to Taos in the north, including parts of Albuquerque and numerous Native American pueblos, disrupting service to more than 25,000 customers overall, the gas company said. As of midday, the capital city of Santa Fe had not been affected.

However, residents there and in other communities awoke to frozen water pipes.

In Arizona, natural gas service was cut to some 14,000 homes and businesses in the Rita Ranch and eastern foothills areas of Tucson due to the cold weather, the Southwest Gas company said.

There were no estimates as to when full service might be restored.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:19 am
@Butrflynet,
So far, no disruption of utility services in Farmington. We have our own gas powered power plant, and own the gas well that services it. Also, we are supposed to have backup electric from the Four Corners Power Plant. Losing gas or electric could be a near disaster. Most gas furnaces won't work without electricity.
0 Replies