fansy

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:01 pm
Quote:
The design of Z15 is expected to incorporate unique Chinese features. The outer look of a Zun (a Chinese drinking vessel), the mechanism of bamboo works, or the Kung Ming lantern, as well as the overall planning of the skyline (urban silhouette ?)of CBD gateway—all these indicate that this is going to be a new structure to be located in the capital city, which reflects the Chinese culture and represents the future of Beijing.

The above quote is a description of the tallest building to be constructed very soon in Beijing. I am not sure if the paragraph makes any sense to foreign readers, especially the "skyline" or "urban silhouestte" part, because I am not familiar with the architecutral concept, so I used either of the two terms to translate the Chinese concept of "kongjian yixiang".
I compared the "axonometric projection"of the proposed construction of the tallest building in Beijing, and found out that it is similar to an axonometric project of, say, the Disneyland.

The Chinese equivalent for "axonometric projection" is no other but "kongjian yixiang". So, can I use "axonomic projection" to replace "skyline" or "urban silhouette" in the above quote? That is,

Quote:
The design of Z15 is expected to incorporate unique Chinese features. The outer look of a Zun (a Chinese drinking vessel), the mechanism of bamboo works, or the Kung Ming lantern, as well as the overall planning of the anoxometric projection of CBD gateway—all these indicate that this is going to be a new structure to be located in the capital city, which reflects the Chinese culture and represents the future of Beijing.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,686 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fansy

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:02 am
@fansy,
Quote:
The design of Z15 project is expected to incorporate unique Chinese features. The outer look of a Zun (a Chinese drinking vessel), the mechanism of bamboo works, or the Kung Ming lantern, as well as the axonometric projection of the overall urban design of the CBD gateway—all these indicate that this is going to be a new structure to be located in the capital city, which reflects the Chinese culture and represents the future of Beijing.

The above quote is a revision of the previously quoted paragraph, see if this time it make some sense to you.
engineer

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:23 am
@fansy,
I like "skyline" much better. I don't know many people who will understand "axonometric projection of the overall urban design".
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:49 am
It really is discussing the "overall look' of the Central Business District and how this building will enhance the visual of the Gateway into the city.

Florida's Disneyworld was plopped into the city of Orlando without any thought, except that it was cheap land in the center of the state. Buildings and roads went up around the entire structure. It's really hodge-podge urban planning.
engineer

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 12:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Florida's Disneyworld was plopped into the city of Orlando without any thought, except that it was cheap land in the center of the state. Buildings and roads went up around the entire structure. It's really hodge-podge urban planning.

Shocked Maybe you are thinking of Disneyland in California. Disneyworld is far from Orlando, something like 20 miles away and is completely planned down to the animatronic rabbits that scamper around various Disney complexes. (OK, the rabbits are real, but the ducks HAVE to be fake.)
0 Replies