My Aunt Had a Stroke

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:27 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
As more details are coming in, things sound somewhat better. She has been speaking a bit. My cousin did say that her main struggle is with listening and reading. She is aware of what happened to her and is fully lucid.

Apparently one of the dinner guests was a retired doctor and recognized the signs of the stroke from her behavior. They got her on blood thinners fairly quick. My cousin noted that it's also pretty hard right now to tell what is temporary and what is permanent damage. My aunt hasn't really been able to sleep for the 4 days she was in the ICU. She did get 12 hours of sleep once she returned home though, and I guess this morning is when she began to do some simple speech. She has good dexterity and coordination.

The stroke was "localized in what is called the Wernicke’s area of the brain, somewhere behind her left eye, which is involved in the understanding of written and spoken language."

She is resting and at home. She has done some therapy, but priority one is to let her brain try and heal. I'm glad she is getting some rest.

A
R
T
Congratulations on your aunt 's improvement.
I wish your aunt the best of Good Luck!

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:40 am
@failures art,
Sorry that you and your family have to go through this. Hoping for continued progress for your aunt leading to a full recovery.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 01:01 am
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt's stroke, too, Art.
But very pleased to hear that her condition has improved so quickly.
How is she going now?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 05:20 am
Very sorry to hear about your aunt, Art. Now that she has had some time to rest, have they been able to assess her degree of impairment? Has she been able to communicate verbally? I certainly wish her a positive outcome so that she can once again fully enjoy her life.

It must be very frustrating for you to be so far from your aunt and cousins. Is there any way you could "visit" with them via a Skype video call? That way you could see each other, and even if your aunt can't speak to you, you can convey your feelings to her directly. It might help to bridge the distance.
0 Replies