Types of Parents

Proxima

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:02 am
There are many types of parents for a parent to choose from, all with their pros and cons, pick the method that best suits your child.
The Chinese Parent
This is just a sterotype because there are many chinese parents that don't follow this method but many first and second generation asian immigrants subscribe to this. It basically just gives the children no free will but sacrifices everything for them. Kids can't get less than an A+ or the parent is angry and barely any social events are attended. Common Intrument to Play: Violin or Piano. Only tough, and I mean TOUGH, parents should subscribe to this since it causes heartbreak with your children. I suggest this one the most because kids who have this kind of parent are always more succesfull.
Pros: Acts in kids best interest, Kids turn out well and are experts at everything, kids get good grades.
Cons:Hard to do since it makes parenting an everlasting battle
The Friend\Lazy Parent
This parent is more intersted in beeing their kids friend. They usually buy beer for their kid's parties and are generally exploited and are unrespected. The exact opposite of the chinese parent. Also calles the western parent. I don't suggest this type of parenting since it involves bribing your child. Also, your kids won't ever respect you and they won't love you if you ever discipline them.
Pros: Don't really have to do anything
Cons: Kids don't really turn out well and are not disicplined
These are the main 2 kind of parent you can be, remember I won't take time to describe every possible combination but they all fall within this spectrum.
Choose which one is best for you or create your own, it is up to you.

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:28 am
These aren't the "main" styles of parenting.

You have described the extreme opposites of bad parenting: auhtoritarian and permissive.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:33 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
These aren't the "main" styles of parenting.

You have described the extreme opposites
of bad parenting: auhtoritarian and permissive.

I think that if I were a parent,
I 'd probably be a libertarian,
but its hard to know for sure.

I grew up in comfortable liberty.

A lot depends on the mind of the progeny.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:46 am
@PUNKEY,
Yeah, I agree.

I don't know if any label matches my parenting style exactly but this is probably close:

Quote:
Authoritative parenting
The parent is demanding and responsive.

Authoritative parenting, also called 'assertive democratic'[15] or 'balanced' parenting[16], is characterized by a child-centered approach that holds high expectations of maturity. Authoritative parents can understand their children’s feelings and teach them how to regulate them. They often help them to find appropriate outlets to solve problems. "Authoritative parenting encourages children to be independent but still places limits and controls on their actions." [1] "Extensive verbal give-and-take is allowed, and parents are warm and nurturant toward the child."[1] Authoritative parents are not usually as controlling, allowing the child to explore more freely, thus having them make their own decisions based upon their own reasoning.[17]

Authoritative parents set limits and demand maturity, but when punishing a child, the parent will explain his or her motive for their punishment. "Their punishments are measured and consistent in discipline, not harsh or arbitrary. Parents will set clear standards for their children, monitor limits that they set, and also allow children to develop autonomy. They also expect mature, independent, and age-appropriate behavior of children."[1] They are attentive to their children’s needs and concerns, and will typically forgive and teach instead of punishing if a child falls short.[18] This is supposed to result in children having a higher self esteem and independence because of the democratic give-take nature of the authoritative parenting style. This is the most recommended style of parenting by child-rearing experts.
[edit]

That's taken from this Wikipedia article that lists four "main" parenting styles:

Quote:
2.1 Authoritative parenting
2.2 Authoritarian parenting
2.3 Indulgent parenting
2.4 Neglectful parenting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenting_styles
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:53 am
There is a difference between authoritative and authoritarian parenting.

I read a book about the need for more "fathering" in the family - the limit setter, the boundary maker, someone to tame the young male. The "mothering" role desired by this author was the nurturer and chocolate chip cookie maker.

The single mother must do both roles - a very difficult job. And that is one reason we have many uncontrolled male youth in our society.
sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:56 am
@PUNKEY,
Right, "authoritative" and "authoritarian" are two different entries on that list. This is "authoritarian" (the "Chinese Mother" style):

Quote:
Authoritarian parenting
The parent is demanding but not responsive.

Authoritarian parenting, also called strict,[16] is characterized by high expectations of conformity and compliance to parental rules and directions, while allowing little open dialogue between parent and child. "Authoritarian parenting is a restrictive, punitive style in which parents exhort the child to follow their directions and to respect their work and effort."[1] Authoritarian parents expect much of their child but generally do not explain the reasoning for the rules or boundaries.[19] Authoritarian parents are less responsive to their chidren’s needs, and are more likely to spank a child rather than discuss the problem.[20]

Children with this type of parenting may have less social competence as the parent generally tells the child what to do instead of allowing the child to choose by him or herself.[21] Nonetheless, researchers have found that in some cultures and ethnic groups, aspects of authoritarian style may be associated with more positive child outcomes than Baumrind expects. "Aspects of traditional Asian child-rearing practices are often continued by Asian American families. In some cases, these practices have been described as authoritarian."[1] If the demands pushed too forcefully upon the child, the child will break down, rebel, or run away.

In her popular book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Amy Chua describes her intense focus on academic achievement, unleashing fury if her children achieve less than an "A" or spend less than three hours practising the violin. She accuses parents who allow sleepovers, or let children choose activities without the prospect of winning a medal, as "not doing their job".[22][23] This can be compared to Concerted cultivation in that she is very ambitious for her children and goes to great lengths to develop them, but she focuses on academic achievement whereas parents employing Concerted cultivation focus on sporting and extracurricular activities.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:58 am
@PUNKEY,
As long as people remain within the criminal laws,
I doubt that anyone shoud be CONTROLLED.

Living in freedom is a pretty good idea.

the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave

David
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:13 am
Mmmm.... no.

The four types of parenting styles are:

Authoritarian
Authoritative
Permissive
Negligent

This is true in spite of your effort to drum up interest in "Chinese Mommy."
Smileyrius

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:25 am
@DrewDad,
You could just simple it down to two, good and bad parents
DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:36 am
@Smileyrius,
No, there's a whole spectrum.

A few parents are good at everything, a few parents are bad at everything, and most parents fall somewhere in between.

I fall in between.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:57 am
Being a parent is the hardest job there is - at least in my book! I personally
don't want to put a label on myself - I am permissive one day, authoritarian
another - every day is a new day with a child, they're such angels one day and pushing the envelope ad nauseam the next day. No parent can possibly be pushed into one category only, even a Chinese tiger mom has her permissive moments.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 10:10 am
Quote:
Authoritative parents set limits and demand maturity

Can someone explain exactly how a person demands maturity?

Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 10:44 am
I'm more the "fairy talerum" variety - I do the following:
"give them some broth without any bread;
and whip them all soundly and put them to bed."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 11:58 am
@Linkat,
Fighting obesity ?
Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Heck, that's one way.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:39 pm
@Linkat,
It 'll work.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:20 pm
Stereotyping parents, whether or not they are Chinese, accomplished nothing.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:57 pm
The best parent teaches decision making, and knows when to step back and let a child bleed a little.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:17 pm
@wayne,
Well that means now I have to change my usual command of "Don't yell for me unless some one is bleeding." To "Don't yell for me unless some one is bleeding heavily."
wayne

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 02:46 am
@Linkat,
I used to tell em, if these bandaids are too small, come and get me.