Earthquake in California?

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 02:31 pm
Uhoh!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=3&u=/ap/20031222/ap_on_re_us/california_quake

You Californians know anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:29 pm
Hmmm. No, I didn't know. We have earthquakes way up here too, but (not to my knowledge) as severe as we used to experience in LA. That's all beautiful country right there near Hearst Castle and Cambria...

Thanks for the notice, I'll check it out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:34 pm
Ok, Osso. I was wondering about "rosebud."
0 Replies

GeorgeT

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:35 pm
With any luck we can start charging people for an E-ticket to ride,
when they come to California.

I'm sorry I missed it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:37 pm
Hey, George T. Welcome to A2K. Sorry you missed it? Shocked
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:51 pm
Oh no!!!! Blame al-Quaeda!!!! Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:51 pm
I felt it in Sunnyvale, but my son who was at home didn't. I saw the door to my computer room move slightly, and felt the shaking. Lasted less than 5 seconds.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:52 pm
CI, that's what it was...it was Sunnydale sinking into the ground! Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:04 pm
Live feed newswires are saying at least 2 dead, 3 buildings collapsed, at least one was a retail jewelry facility, up to 40,000 w/out power ... dozen or so buildings severely damaged ... possible persons trapped in industrial building(not confirmed caller to broadcast radio station), several distinct fire/rescue dispatches, 20 some aftershocks, up to 4.7 magnitude following 6.5 initial shock.

A notable quake, but certainly not a big one.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:05 pm
Well, Just concerned about you Golden Gate people.

You, too, hobit Laughing

Isn't the national alert on red? Hmmmmm. Could be Osama. He does have his faults.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:08 pm
Timber, not a big one? Is the governor safe?
0 Replies

GeorgeT

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:08 pm
Sorry I missed it . . .

Well yeah. If they're going to have an earthquake, it'd be nice to experience it. Kind of like watching an avalanche, or the smell of fresh rain in the park. Nature deserves so much more respect and admiration than we generally give it. The best earthquake I've enjoyed was a 7.2, but even a 6.5 like this one has a lot to offer.

There's more to life than whining about ones own infantile needs, and how nature should just give us what we want. Homes, businesses and lives are always being destroyed and rebuilt. That's what life is all about, the struggle, so why not appreciate the process and the experience? How many people are actually awake, live their lives and experience what the world has to offer?

More earthquakes. Better earthquakes. California Rocks!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:11 pm
Well, having experienced a few relatively mild ones up here (the last did destroy some buildings), I could happily spend the rest of my life not living through another. It's goddam unnerving having everything swaying around you, not knowing how bad it may become.

I realize it's part of nature, but so is illness. I don't welcome that, either!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:13 pm
Well, GT. Florida has been lucky this year, but I'm not too keen on storm surges...soooooo, that's an event I'll forgo.

California rocks---Florida rolls.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
I'm with you, d'art. Just call me the fifth musketeer.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:20 pm
I've been through a few ... biggest was in the early '80's; 6.8 epicentered about 25 miles from where I lived. Mrs Timber was upstairs taking a bath, all the water sloshed out of the tub and of course found its way to the stairwell. Some minor bric-a-brac was damaged by the shaking, and there were a few cracks in the stucco outside and drywall inside, but no structural damage. We made the best of the situation and shampooed the stairwell and livingroom carpets, since they were already wet.

Latest is 3 confirmed dead ... emergency service calls have slackened significantly in last 15-20 minutes, which is comforting; that's a sure sign the situation is well in hand.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:28 pm
The only earthquake I was in I chanced to be in a canal, swimming. I was there, but I missed it all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:29 pm
Power out in 10,000 homes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:41 pm
From The LA Times:

http://images.latimes.com/media/photo/2003-12/10719337.jpgThe U.S. Geological Survey seismograph registers the impact of the 6.5 quake that shook central and southern California.
(AFP / USGS)

December 22, 2003
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:47 pm
http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/index_map.gif

Click the map to go to the USGS Webite for recent quake info.
0 Replies