New York pub question

lovejoy

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 11:09 pm
sorry if this is in the wrong place, but the question is this,

Has it ever been ascertained by anyone just how many pubs/bars there are in Manhattan?

You know those T.V. shows that come up with all sorts of amazing trivia Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,531 • Replies: 4

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 08:30 am
Tough question. Tough because you'll have to decide what exactly is a bar? There's plenty of places listed in Zagat's as bars, but those places are also restaurants, so does that make the bar a pub? Then there are the 1000 or so places listed as nightspots....
Hmmm.
A bar just serves drinks.
A restaurant/pub serves food and drink.
A nightspot serves drinks but it's main attraction is dancing/music.

Maybe you could research how many liquor licenses are issued for Manhattan, but that would leave out all the places which only serve wine and beer.

Here's an idea. Let's meet at The Staten Ferry and hit every bar/pub/wine bar/nightspot and champagne lounge from the Battery Garden to the little unnamed beer bodega at Broadway and 220th Street.
Joe(Then on to the Bronx!)Nation
parados

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 08:38 am
@Joe Nation,
Good idea Joe(don't forget those that sell booze without a license)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 09:48 am
@parados,
Hmm. Non-licensed........
Okay, we'll include the guy at Grand Central at the newsstand who has a seemingly unlimited supply of those little airline bottles which you can get with your New York Post. $5.
Wait, are we counting the vendors, actually licensed with neck-tags and everything, who sell 15-20 brands of beer to the commuters getting on the Metro-North trains? Does that 6 foot by 3 foot counter count as a bar? Or are we just counting the places where they actually serve your drink to you rather than just handing you a bottle. (In which case, Madison Square Garden is a bar when you buy the $9.00 plastic cup of beer.)
I think we will have to classify each venue as we go.

Joe(I'm starting without you.)Nation
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 09:32 am
No- I mean proper licensed pubs or bars if you want to call them that not restaurants and bistros and the like, just pubs ale houses, bars, beer joints, inns, public houses, saloons, taprooms, taverns Drunk
0 Replies