Help me explain this sentence.

Nancy88

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 02:33 am
And to ensure that next spring when the neighbors look in my direction they'll think they're in Holland, I add one hundred tulip bulbs to my purchase. My yard gets a respectable facelift that holds us over while the cold weather approaches.

Whatc does the author mean by the last sentence of this paragraph?The phrase "holds us over" means...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 512 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 02:45 am
@Nancy88,
Imagine you're hungry. It's a big holiday and the meal wont be served for another two hours. You can smell the food, you want to eat something but you don't want to ruin your appetite. Instead, you nibble on a little snack hoping it will "hold you over" till dinner.
The woman is anticipating her neighbours seeing the carpet of tulips in the spring, and using it soften the blow of the coming colder weather.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:31 am
@Nancy88,

Quote:
My yard gets a respectable facelift that holds us over while the cold weather approaches

Yes. Flowers in the garden will not be seen again until spring, so the garden/yard gets a tidy which at least makes it look respectable, over the worst of the winter, until the new growth starts.
0 Replies