Edit it please

aidan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 01:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
but use of the neuter gender pronoun
in circumstances when it cannot possibly apply does violence to logic,
which is the underpinning of grammar.

If it's not logical in this case to use the gender neutral pronoun 'its' - how could it possibly be logical to use the masculine pronoun 'his' when you are speaking of a female and have used feminine pronouns throughout the sentence already?

Quote:
In HER thirties, SHE would be greedy for sex (with HER husband) like a wolf greedy for HIS prey.

Wouldn't it be more logical, if you wanted to specify a gender, to have agreement between the two clauses as in:
In her thirties, she would be greedy for sex (with her husband) like a wolf greedy for her prey' ?

This whole thing about only being greedy for sex with her husband sounds a little idealistic to me - speaking of genders - could that be the male ego at work here?
Laughing
Was this written by a male or female?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 02:44 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
but use of the neuter gender pronoun
in circumstances when it cannot possibly apply does violence to logic,
which is the underpinning of grammar.

If it's not logical in this case to use the gender neutral pronoun 'its' - how could it possibly be logical to use the masculine pronoun 'his' when you are speaking of a female and have used feminine pronouns throughout the sentence already?

Quote:
In HER thirties, SHE would be greedy for sex (with HER husband) like a wolf greedy for HIS prey.

Wouldn't it be more logical, if you wanted to specify a gender, to have agreement between the two clauses as in:
In her thirties, she would be greedy for sex (with her husband) like a wolf greedy for her prey' ?

This whole thing about only being greedy for sex with her husband sounds a little idealistic to me - speaking of genders - could that be the male ego at work here?
Laughing
Was this written by a male or female?
Your point is well taken.
I forgot that the female gender had already been
established in the sentence; accordingly,
the sentence shoud have said "her" not "his".
That was an oversight.
I only meant to point out
that when dealing with a mammal
the single pronoun that we KNOW
is unsuitable is that of neuter gender
because there r no neuter gender wolves.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 03:10 pm
@aidan,
Quote:

She is starting to sound like him.

Both male and female wolves tend to be a bit greedy when it comes to prey.
0 Replies