Mini seizure

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:22 pm
I only used the title "mini seizure" because that was the diagnosis of one doctor; he prescribed medication that did not help. I am 67 years old and in good health. I have played basketball at a pretty high level for all of my life. I still play 2-3 times per week. I cannot predict the onset of my problem; it occurs only infrequently.
My symptoms only occur a the start of a game. I get a feeling of fullness in my head and during the first few minutes I feel a sensation in my brain, vision is disrupted and, while I am fully aware of what I am doing, my lower body seems to have a momentary lapse of connection to my brain ( perhaps like a boxer who gets "rubber legs" when punched in the head). Once I fell over backward for no apparent reason and suffered a fractured fibula.
I always warm up and feel good about playing; so, I don't think it's low blood presue or psychosomatic. Sometimes it goes right away (especially after I run around a bit) but sometimes I know, without being able to explain it, that I just have to quit for the day.
After numerous test it has been determined that I do not have vertigo, diabetes,or heart or vision problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,526 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:29 pm
@pheaughs,
Yikes! I have no answers or suggestions for you other than to be careful and to make sure the folks you're playing with know to keep an eye on you during the game. Are you sure you want to keep playing when you don't know what's causing your symptoms? I suppose if you play 2-3 times/week and it's only an infrequent thing then.... ????? I dunno. I'd be wary of it. Has your doctor suggested you stop playing?

Oh, and welcome to a2k.
0 Replies