Jack LaLanne, Fitness Guru, Dead at 96.

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:33 am
He used to say, "I can't die. It would ruin my image". But he did, of pneumonia at 96.

Jack LaLane was the original fitness guru. He started gyms, wrote books, worked in television. He is credited with starting and popularizing the whole fitness craze in the 1950's.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/24/MN3T1HDCIB.DTL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,685 • Replies: 22
Topic Closed
No top replies

edgarblythe

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:38 am
On our first TV ever, my mom used to watch Jack do his daily show. So, I have been aware of him about 56 years. Seemed like a good guy. Just a few months ago, I saw him peddling something, a juicer, perhaps, on one of the channels that shows old TV series repeats. He still looked pretty good.
Phoenix32890

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Some of his feats of physical strength, at an age when many people are just sitting around, were simply amazing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 06:58 am
@edgarblythe,

there is an ad for jack's powerjuicer at the bottom of this page... Smile
watched his show when i was a youngin'.
RIP...
jespah

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Rest, Jack. You must be tired from all that activity.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
Ok, so who picked him in the dead pool?
0 Replies

roger

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 02:25 pm
Wasn't so healthy after all, was he?
Ragman

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 02:27 pm
@roger,
He exercised his option for a different existence.
roger

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 02:34 pm
@Ragman,
We all make our own choices. I guess I misspoke. He probably died in the best of health.

BAD RAT
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:33 pm
I remember his German Shepard, King, wandering around the set of his TV show while he exercised
Ragman

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
@chai2,
I recall a white German Shepherd or am I off-base?

Jack made it to 96 - pretty damned good no matter how you look at it. But he also had a great sense of humor:

"If asked about sex, he had a standard joke, saying that despite their advanced age, he and his wife still made love almost every night: "Almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday, almost on Wednesday..."

0 Replies

Ragman

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:12 pm
@chai2,
No, I believe his dog was named Happy or Hap.

http://www.jacklalanne.com/store/products/Happy_The_White_German_Shepard_Poster-42-7.html
King was Sgt Preston's of the Yukon's husky.

"The main dog was Happy; Smiley and Walter also made appearances"
Linkat

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:25 pm
@Ragman,
Well at 96 - he could have had a whole slew of dogs by the time he finished being on TV.
Ragman

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:34 pm
@Linkat,
The ones that I wrote about previously were the one's on his show. The white German Shepherd was the main one and his name was Hap/Happy.
Linkat

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:52 pm
Some of his amazing feats of strength include:

at age 41 proving it possible to escape from Alcatraz by swimming to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco while wearing handcuffs; at 45, completing a thousand push-ups and a thousand chin-ups in an hour and twenty-two minutes with blisters under his calluses; at sixty, swimming from Alcatraz to Fisherman's Wharf handcuffed, shackled and towing a thousand-pound boat, and at seventy, battling currents while handcuffed and shackled, towing seventy boats holding seventy people for a mile and a half across Long Beach Harbor.

0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@Ragman,
Well the dog does look happy...

http://photos.zootoo.com/whocouldforgetjacklalaneandhis_jack-lalanes-white-german-shepherd-happy_55c4a05d42eccb3_740.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:39 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

The ones that I wrote about previously were the one's on his show. The white German Shepherd was the main one and his name was Hap/Happy.

wow, you're right, it was Happy.

Where did I get King from?

Maybe it was in an alternate universe.
chai2

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:46 pm
Look at this.

Jack's sample menu for a day.

Pretty wild and wacky, huh?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:50 pm
Yeah, King was Sargeant Preston's dog - I listened to it on radio..

I watched Jack LaLanne a time or two when I was a teen and we lived at my aunt's. I thought he was, er, nuts. Shows what I knew, as exercise has proven out as a good thing in general, where I was taught to never get overheated. (My mother and aunt used to go to Slenderella, where the machines did the jiggling.) In my memory, I have had him in there with Lawrence Welk and that guy who pushed yogurt (Gordon something?) and the nuts and seeds fellow. (No, not my brother in law). Now, of course, I like nuts and seeds and even eat yogurt.

Well, Rest in Peace, Jack, and thank you for being with us.
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:51 pm
Here's Hap when he was a pup!

0 Replies