Board-Measuring Groundhog Day?

Nancy88

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:31 pm
The job moved slower than geological plate-shifting. One night I dropped into
bed completely spent. I dreamed that Bob and I were working on the closet, and the World Series was about to begin. It was the Giants verses the Dodgers. I really wanted to watch the game, but Bob kept measuring a board for cutting. And then measuring it again. And again. And again. It was Board-Measuring Groundhog Day.

The author was tired of his father-in-law's strictness in measuring the board. And what does he mean by "Board-Measuring Groundhog Day"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 416 • Replies: 1
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:51 pm
@Nancy88,
Groundhog Day is a reference to a famous comedy film starring Bill Murray. It's about a television weatherman stuck in some kind of time loop where he keeps literally reliving a single day over and over again and where there are no consequences for his actions as long as he keeps cycling through that one particular Groundhog Day.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/

"Board-measuring Groundhog Day" is a comment that Bob's anal-retentive nature of constantly measuring and remeasuring the material to be cut and be on the safe side of making sure everything is absolutely perfect made the job very monotonous and it seemed like they never made any progress in the first place.
0 Replies