Word order in writing

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
I have time for another, any ideas? :-)
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:54 pm
Craven,

I understand that you are returning to the United States in order to join the Army. I applaud your action, but wonder at your motivation. You are obviously a bright, talented young man doing good work that needs to be done. The Army needs talented young people, but I just can't visualize you as a basic infantryman. Your talents should more than qualify you for a number of different Military Specialties (MOS), what field do you expect to enter? May I suggest that you look into intelligence/counter-intelligence as a specialty. I'm sure that you will qualify for OCS, and you should go after it.

I have some contacts within the military establishment. Let me know if there is any help I might be able to render.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 08:01 pm
I only have a GED so it's going to be very hard for me to even get into the military (they now aren't accepting GEDs).

I like my work here but the Brazilian economy is faltering and the exchange rate is worsening. I need to get back statside to study and was hoping the military would be my stepping stone.

I might have difficulty getting clearance for an intelligence MOS but what I'm hoping for is (in order):

Computer programming, journalism, psy-ops, intel

I won't be able to get in without 15-20 college credits but I'm told I can get that from language tests.

It's all up in the air right now but if you know of any loopholes that would allow me into the AF or Army on a GED I'd be interested.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 08:23 pm
Only a GED! I would have though you had at least a BA. For what it's worth, I never finished high school either. When I went in there wasn't any problem, and I did my GED just after Basic Training. In those olden days the Navy had no training program for computers, so I was sent to IBM to learn how to manage the old analog beasts. The military is a great place to get an education. My oldest son, who is now nearing retirement, just finished his Master's degree last year.

I haven't any one in the Air Force that would be of any use. Let me check around some of the Army and Navy folks. Everyday the number of contacts retiring from service increases, but at least I should get some advice for you from people who know. Your computer and language skills are in demand and that should help considerably. I'll get back to you after giving my networks a tug.

It might help if you were to give me a little more detail on your background. Why, for instance, do you think you might not qualify for Intelligence? I understand you may not want to discuss personal affairs in the open, so feel free to Email me at any time.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 08:38 pm
It's no secret that my life has been unconventional. I think that will weigh against me (I lived in 10 countries so that might be an impediment). Moving so much makes it hard for them to run background checks.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 08:51 pm
Actually, the broadness of your background is just the sort of thing looked for in Intelligence. True, the background investigation may take some time and trouble, but you seem a promising candidate to me. The real problem is your lack of formal education.

Do you have a gang of college credits? I had some trouble getting colleges interest with just my GED (RISD) turned me down flat. Ashland tested the hell out of me before letting me matriculate. UCLA wanted me to take a bunch of remedial courses even though I had three years of transcripts showing top level college achievement. Once I finished my double BAs, the academic world began chasing me. Sorry for the digression, college credits will help I'm sure. I've sent off some Email asking for information that may help. Give it a few days, some of these guys only check their Email when the spirit moves them.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 09:06 pm
Something overlooked in this discussion is the difference between written and spoken language. When confined to paper, one's thoughts must make their point absent the clues and cues provided by voice inflection, facial experession, and body language. Hackneyed though it may be, McCluhan's observation that "The medium is the message" is true none the less, and quite to the present point. A foundation based in grammar and useage is necessary before one can begin to construct an edifice of personal style.

There exist any number of "Style Manuals", and among any assortment of same one may find both points of consensus and points of contradiction. The respective works of Strunk, White, and Turabian, as well as The New York Times Manual of Style, The Chicago Tribune Manual of Style, The Columbia Guide to Standard American English, and H. W. Fowler's The King's English are a few of the better known and readily available examples of the genre. In that the intended end product of writing is, or should be, effective communication, the matters of grammar, useage, punctuation, word choice, and spelling are the components by which said effective communication is accomplished.

"Rules are made to be broken", of course, though it is advisable one has a thorough understanding of the rules, the exceptions thereto, and the reasons therefor prior to disregarding the accepted rules or hazarding to embark upon establishing one's own set of rules. English is a living, evolving, dynamic language, more syntactical and contextual than purely grammatical, a state of affairs which causes great difficulty not only for those attempting to learn it as a second language but for those who have spoken nothing but for their entire lives. Writing English effectively is a different matter altogether from merely speaking it fluently.

That said, I'm forced to admit I often overlook the rules, bend the rules, or break the rules. I KNOW the rules; I just don't always adhere to them. Some of that is "Style", and some of it is simple carelessness. I endeavor to be unambiguous in both speech and print, and as a rule I speak much in the same manner as I write.

And an aside to CDK; depending on your personal preference, it is a simple matter to get one's self assigned to one of the less adventurous occupational billets in the military. Demonstrate a superlative knack for communication skills, electronic data handling, personal organization, military protocol and an always impeccable uniform, do not display any extraordinary aptitude for weapon handling, physical prowess, or heavy machinery operation, and almost certainly you will wind up on the fast track to a staff posting. On the other hand, even cooks and bakers get shot at from time to time. However, there are roughly a dozen support and/or administrative functions for every line combat function. Personally, I always got a real kick out of blowing stuff up. I got to see lots of mud and very little paper. Its your call.

timber
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 12:15 am
Opps, wrong thread!
0 Replies