The worlds first riddle!

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:56 am
Tryagain wrote:

I hope this makes it clear Frank. You take the last letter of the full word.
I.e. 'Voluntary Service Overseas'. = YES (still working on cookies)

Crystal.

Glad the football games prevented me from giving it any more attention than I did. :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:02 am
Tryagain wrote:

What was the first man-made object to travel faster than Mach 1 Question

Any surviving shrapnel from an A-Bomb test???

I thought the X1 was the first, but obviously that is wrong.

I know someone drove a car faster than Mach 1 on the ground -- but that was after the X1.

C'mon, give the answer.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:59 pm
The answer as supplied by, good old Mungo. Cool

I would assume that to be the tip of the lash of a whip - as in 'cracking of the whip'. Hoowee!

The end can reach speeds of up to 700mph. The 'cracking' sound is in fact a miniature sonic boom. Not a lot of people know that. Idea

BTW despite the fact that there has never been a standard formally laid down, can you name me any culture or area that uses a clock that has hands that move from left to right. Question (i.e. anti the standard 'clockwise')
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 06:37 pm
Anticlockwise clock: Jewish quarter of Prague.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 07:48 pm
Adrian wrote:
Anticlockwise clock: Jewish quarter of Prague.

Adrian, I did not know that. Only people who come from Sydney would know something like that. Did you see the Simpson's when they visited down under? Very Happy
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
Yes. I'm a huge fan of the Simpsons but that episode was absolutely terrible. Crocodile Dundee and Steve bloody Irwin, that's all the yanks think of when they think Australia.
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:44 pm
Try

There is a pub in Dublin that has all of its clocks 'mirror-wise', but that is a commercial decision.

It originated because the main clock was on the far wall from the bar and those drinking at the bar saw it in the mirrors, so the barlord had it reversed to save them from straining their brains or turning round, thus interrupting valuabe supping time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:54 am
Tryagain wrote:
The answer as supplied by, good old Mungo. Cool

I would assume that to be the tip of the lash of a whip - as in 'cracking of the whip'. Hoowee!

The end can reach speeds of up to 700mph. The 'cracking' sound is in fact a miniature sonic boom. Not a lot of people know that. Idea

Very good. But tough for us ex-Air Force types to accept. We'll stick with the X-1 and Chuck Yeager.

Quote:
BTW despite the fact that there has never been a standard formally laid down, can you name me any culture or area that uses a clock that has hands that move from left to right. Question (i.e. anti the standard 'clockwise')

He ain't a culture, but I have a friend who has a clock that runs "backwards" on the wall of his den.

I must say, Try, you are one handsome devil. I felt an instant kinship with you the moment I saw your new avatar. I imagine I would love the way you look when the moon is not full.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:08 am
[quote="Frank Apisa
I must say, Try, you are one handsome devil. I felt an instant kinship with you the moment I saw your new avatar. I imagine I would love the way you look when the moon is not full.[/quote]

Well, thank you Frank. There is an uncanny resemblance between our photographs. Twisted Evil
I noticed it around the eyes. Were you in the Fort Worth area around Christmas 73? Did you ever date a girl by the name of Mary-Ann? Are you my, my….Probably not. :wink:

Do you know what number satisfies the following condition?
The same result is obtained regardless of whether the number is multiplied by four, or it has four added to it. Question
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:44 pm
My Doctor says I have a very rear illness, no not that one. This one can only be cured by arranging nine blocks numbered 1-9 in a square and no matter which way you add the numbers (horizontally, vertically or diagonally) they always add up to 15. Can you provide the cure? Thanks in advance, cough, cough.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:33 pm
Tryagain wrote:
My Doctor says I have a very rear illness, no not that one. This one can only be cured by arranging nine blocks numbered 1-9 in a square and no matter which way you add the numbers (horizontally, vertically or diagonally) they always add up to 15. Can you provide the cure? Thanks in advance, cough, cough.

When you have this one, you will also have the answer to Mungo's puzzle of a while back.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 06:33 am
Oh, you earthlings make I laugh. Is there not one of you out there that can add up to 15? On Ormiod Percie 8, this is a second grade question.

Whilst you ponder nine miserable little blocks, perhaps the leaders amongst you could help the inhabitants of the little known planet of Naissur.

Their problem is they cannot multiply. They can only add and subtract, and even then, they cannot cope with more than eight columns of figures.
Can you suggest how they can obtain the answer, as they want to multiply 97x39 Question
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 03:30 pm
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 06:01 am
Try

The magic square for 15 was to old to even bother with.

My question is...

...has anyone come up with responses for:

1) Do you know what number satisfies the following condition?
The same result is obtained regardless of whether the number is multiplied by four, or it has four added to it.

2) Their problem is they cannot multiply. They can only add and subtract, and even then, they cannot cope with more than eight columns of figures.
Can you suggest how they can obtain the answer, as they want to multiply 97x39.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:54 am
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:12 am
Tryagain wrote:

Glad I didn't ask you what the time was!
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:46 pm
Right on time!
How many times per day do the hour and minute hands of an analogue clock form a 90 degree (right) angle Question
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 06:00 pm
I have been asked, "What the hell is"…

W
Aviation
T
E
R
M
U
S
I
C

Handel wrote the Water Music, aviation = Fly

Answer. Flying off the Handle!

New one!

What am I? …R/E/A/D/I/N/G
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 06:17 pm
Analogue clock = 48 times per day.
R/E/A/D/I/N/G = reading between the lines.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:46 am
0 Replies