The worlds first riddle!

trying2learn

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:19 am
HEY BLUE GUY
Where are you? At least you made me laugh even through the hard tines.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:12 pm
A decade ago today the original Try Again started this thread that became a legend in his lifetime. Unfortunately after the infamous ‘Whipped Cream’ incident of 05, his tenure was short lived.

He was followed by a succession of drunks, Hobos, Rednecks and Hillbillies who knew as much about Math as your average cockroach…. And I’m embarrassed to say that during the last year even the cockroach failed to show up, preferring instead to secure office under the Tea Party banner!

It is therefore with some excitement that I can today announce that a new Try has emerged from the bayou and has been busy with his crayons and will emerge early in the New Year with a new set of unpublished conundrums to confound and astound you.

In the meantime I leave you with a trailer of what you can expect…

http://youtu.be/1tqxzWdKKu8

EDIT: I’m sorry, that was just the rehearsal – the finished article is…

http://youtu.be/08e9k-c91E8

markr

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:19 pm
@Tryagain,
Yippee! Welcome back and Happy Holidays.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 10:06 pm
@Tryagain,
Congratulations for sticking it out, oldtimer! Wink You're one of the good guys!
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 04:13 am
These people are strange lol
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 03:41 pm
Is Try’s dawg alive or dead?

1. Try’s dawg is alive.
2. Try’s dawg is dead.
3. Exactly one of statements 6 and 9 is true.
4. Exactly one of statements 2 and 6 is false.
5. Statements 4, 5 and 10 are all false.
6. Exactly one of statements 1 and 10 is false.
7. Exactly 5 statements are true.
8. Exactly one of statements 3 and 10 is false.
9. Exactly one of statements 6 and 10 is true.
10. Exactly one of statements 1 and 2 is false.
11. Statements 1, 8 and 11 are all false.

Well folks, I aren’t or my uncle getting any younger – so unless you are an exponent of Cardiopulmonary resuscitation… Is my dawg sleeping or just plain dead?

Addendum: Please include statement numbers that are TRUE.
Thankee most kindly.

BTW ewe folks are the best!

From the post above mine I deduce it came from ET – It’s a blankET.

Oh my, I haven’t laughed so much since I heard the President say he was gonna close Guantánamo Bay within his first year!!!!!
markr

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:01 pm
@Tryagain,
Try's dawg is alive.
True statements: 1, 3, 7, 9, 10.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 03:36 pm
‘God didn't make the little green apples, and it don't snow in Minneapolis when the winter comes’…. Roger Miller, you am an idjut:

INDIANAPOLIS – Mayor Greg Ballard has upgraded the city’s travel emergency level to red. This represents the highest level making it illegal for anyone to drive!!!

Say what!
How do I get my vehicle to the gas station then?

Anyhoo, it is with great pleasure I note Mark continues in fine form and he shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary him, nor the years condemn; and at the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will praise him…..

With acknowledgements to Robert Laurence Binyon (10 August 1869 – 10 March 1943).

… But he may wish to Reconsider statement 7.
Just sayin’.

Five barrels each contain some fish.

The average number of fish per barrel in the first four barrels is 33.

The fifth barrel contains eight fewer fish than the average number of fish per barrel in all five barrels.

How many fish are in the fifth barrel?

Note: Shooting fish in a barrel is an idiom, describing an effortless or simple action, with guaranteed success.

Hahahaha.
markr

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 09:13 pm
@Tryagain,
fifth barrel contains 23 fish
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 12:18 am
@Tryagain,
OK - statement 7 can be true or false - I chose true.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 02:30 pm
"Hell freezes over", refers to Hell, Michigan, where temperatures are at -40C (-40F); not-

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?
If we accept the postulate given to me by ***** during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I go out with you", and take into account the fact that I went out with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct . . . leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, ***** kept shouting "Oh my God."

Now back to God – sorry, I mean my Dog:

To solve, begin by considering statements 1 and 2:

If 1 and 2 are both true, then 10 is false, hence 6 is true, hence 4 is false.

If 1 and 2 are both false, then 10 is false, hence 6 is false, hence 4 is false.

In both cases 4 and 10 are both false. This leads to 5 being a contradiction (as if 5 is also false then that makes 5 true, and if 5 is true, then that makes 5 false).

So one of 1 and 2 is true and one is false. Hence 10 is true, hence 5 is false.

Now consider statement 6.
If 6 is true then 1 is false, and the dawg is not alive (shame).

However, if 6 is true then 9 is false, hence 3 is true, hence 8 is false.

But if 1 and 8 are both false then this leads to 11 being a contradiction (as if 11 is also false then that makes 11 true, and if 11 is true, then that makes 11 false).

So therefore 6 is false, and hence 1 is true, so the dawg is alive after all (hurrah!).

We can now also say that as 6 is false and 10 is true, 9 is true.

Now consider all the statements in turn:

1. We know this is true.
2. We know 10 is true, so 2 is false.
3. We know 6 is false and 9 is true, so 3 is true.
4. We know 2 is false and 6 is false, so 4 is false.
5. We know this is false.
6. We know this is false.
7. Consider this one last.
8. We know 3 is true and 10 is true, so 8 is false.
9. We know this is true.
10. We know this is true.
11. We know 1 is true, so 11 is false.

So we have 1, 3, 9 and 10 true, and 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 11 false.

Now consider 7:
If it is true, then there are 5 true statements, which is consistent with 7 being true.
If it is false, then there are 4 true statements, which is consistent with 7 being false.

So 7 can be either true or false. Hence the only statements that are definitely true are 1, 3, 9 and 10.

Note that although the state of the dawg is determined, the state of 7 is undetermined. However, if Mark says its true… who am I to argue.

We are in accord in respect of the fish:

Answer: 23

If the average number of fish per barrel in the first four barrels is 33, then these barrels contain a total of 4 × 33 = 132 fish.

If A represents the average number of fish per barrel for all four barrels, then we can write the equation (1/5)(132 + (A − 8)) = A.
Solving, A = 31. Since the average for all five barrels is 31 fish, the fifth barrel contains 31 − 8 = 23 fish.

Change ONE letter in each word to create a trio of synonyms.

For example, THIEF, MAID, and FOREMAST becomes CHIEF, MAIN, and FOREMOST.

1. FIGMENT, COLON, TILT
2. GUILT, DRAFT, SHYNESS
3. BREAD, SHUTTER, STASH
4. FLAP, PENDANT, BANTER
Stormwatch

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:11 pm
@Tryagain,
Change ONE letter in each word to create a trio of synonyms.

For example, THIEF, MAID, and FOREMAST becomes CHIEF, MAIN, and FOREMOST.

1. FIGMENT, COLON, TILT ....... pigment, color, tint
2. GUILT, DRAFT, SHYNESS ....... guile, craft, slyness
3. BREAD, SHUTTER, STASH ....... break, shatter, smash
4. FLAP, PENDANT, BANTER ....... flag, pennant, banner
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 05:48 pm
Everybody was sure that somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was everybody’s job. Everybody thought that anybody could do it, but nobody realised that everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that everybody blamed somebody when nobody did what anybody could have done.

If money doesn’t grow on trees why do banks have branches?

The problem with stealing quotes off the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865)

Howdy Stormy, what a delight to see you here proffering the perfect answers – made my day.
I hope all is well with you and yours and you are staying warm in all this global warming weather! Go Red Sox.

Can anyone spell an eight-letter word in each box below by beginning with a letter and moving clockwise or counter clockwise around the box, using each letter only once.

The question mark represents a letter that you must supply - which is the same for both words.

?____U____S
L_________S
I____N____E

M____M____O
A__________N
R_____?____O

Postscript: May I on behalf of the guys in the boiler room that spend all day writing Fortune Cookie messages and A2K puzzles – a big thank you to the kind person who gave them a vote of support; it is greatly appreciated.

markr

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 09:36 pm
@Tryagain,
first word: uGliness.
second word: monoGram.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:27 pm
My New Years revolution was to exercise more – and do you know the quickest way to get on your feet….. miss a freekin’ car payment!

My girlfriend wanted me to take her somewhere expensive on her birthday – so I dropped her off at the gas station.

Thank you Mark for your most adroit answer; I can tell you ain’t from hereaways, where any word containing more than four letters is considered foreign talk.

As you may know, I am training to make the Red Sox starting lineup this year, so I end basketball practice each day by shooting foul shots. During one 6-day stretch I totaled 213 shots.

Each day after the first day, I took seven more shots than I did the day before.

How many shots did the reprobate take on his first day?

For those not of a mafamattickal leaning:

There are three common 7-letter words that each contain four S’s. The starting letters of these words are S, A and P.

Can you name all three?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:37 pm
@Tryagain,
possess

assless

sissies
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 04:01 pm
@Tryagain,
Shots on first day: 18.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:26 pm
New Yorkers ask why mayor doesn't eat pizza with his fingers like everyone else!!!

I’ll tellsyous why; Mr De Blasio was raised in Massachusetts and is a Boston Red Sox baseball fan.

Its not because he’s a Democrat, remember he’s from Boston…. He doen’t know no better!

I hope that revelation doesn’t take the headlines away from Rocky’s answer, because he is amazing – not only can he repair your truck with his belly button hair, he could build you one from Lordyaswass’ kitchen utensils; I kid you knot!

Anyhoo, I must thank him for the word…

NSFW

‘Assless’

As I was not familiar with this particular word, I was forced to look it up and…. OMG thank you Rocky, but I was more thinking along the lines of ‘assists’.
I would also have accepted two uncommon words starting with S ‘sassies’ (African trees) and ‘swisses’ (cotton fabrics).

People often stop me in the street and ask iffin’ a critter had died on my head or do I wear a wig, and how does Mark keep coming up with the right answer every time?

Well, I may be follicular challenged, but I would guess he went something like…

If N represents the number of shots taken on the first day, then we can write the equation;

N + (N + 7) + (N + 14) + (N + 21) + (N + 28) + (N + 35) = 213.

Simplifying, 6N + 105 = 213.
Solving, N = 18.

Place the digits 1 to 9 into the empty squares so that the three rows across and three columns down form correct arithmetic statements.

All calculations involve only positive whole numbers and should be performed from left to right and top to bottom, ignoring mathematical order of operations.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/a2kforsure/1gt9_zps84c54a3f.png

The letters of the word ORGANISM can be rearranged to make two words that name two things you might hear about in a weather report. What are they?

Stormwatch

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:38 pm
@Tryagain,
ORGANISM= rain & smog
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:51 pm
@Tryagain,
1-9 in squares:
------
9 4 1
6 3 2