The worlds first riddle!

thoh13

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 05:25 pm
thanks Very Happy

CUBES

both cubes need a 1 and 2 because that's the only way to make 11 and 22. since a cube can't have numbers 1-9, then both cubes need a 0 to make the numbers 01-09.

so the 2nd cube has numbers 0 1 2 3 4 5

now we still need a 6 7 8 and 9, but the 1st cube already has a 0 1 and 2. therefore the 6 will be used for a 9 when it's turned upside down.

1st cube has numbers 0 1 2 6 7 8
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 07:50 pm
Tryagain wrote:

Tryingtohelp aka: TTH

Well, coming from one who races a car the answer is yes. Even if you have one driver, one car traveling from Detroit to Chicago leaving at 8 am. Then the next day the same driver leaves Chicago at 8 drives the same highway back to Detroit. That driver can have many spots along the route that he passes at exactly the same time each day.

(Even I can see where you are coming from)

To see it as clearly as TTH, imagine two women driving the route on the same day, one leaving Detroit at 8 and the other leaving Chicago at 8. They have to pass each other at some point, and they'll be there at the same time.

Tryagain,
There is something you forgot. There is another way to do it if you think outside the box.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 10:13 pm
What would that be?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:16 am
Stormy:

It is always true. When the 3 letters in 'the' are added to the 8 letters in 'alphabet', there are always eleven letters. Cool

True; When "the alphabet" is in quotation marks.

Thoh:

CUBES

Both cubes need a 1 and 2 because that's the only way to make 11 and 22. Since a cube can't have numbers 1-9, then both cubes need a 0 to make the numbers 01-09. Razz

So the 2nd cube has numbers 0 1 2 3 4 5 Cool

Now we still need a 6 7 8 and 9, but the 1st cube already has a 0 1 and 2. Therefore the 6 will be used for a 9 when it's turned upside down. Razz

1st cube has numbers 0 1 2 6 7 8 Cool

Oddly enough it still works with the following combination:

1st cube: 0, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8
2nd cube: 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6

TTH wrote, "Tryagain, (Please don't be so formal, just call me bunnykin's)

There is something you forgot. There is another way to do it if you think outside the box." Shocked

Well, be pro-active and bring to the table, take it to the next level, run it up the flagpole. I don't wanna be outta the loop! Laughing

Ok! If you have a spare lifetime, compile a ten-digit number such that the digit in the first box indicates the total number of zeroes in the entire number, the digit in the box marked "1" indicates the total number of ones in the entire number, and so forth to the last box, whose digit indicates the total number of nines in the number (Zero is a digit, of course, and may be entered in the boxes) Question

The answer may well be unique.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

A boy has a peculiar quirk; he repeats everything he hears. However, when his father said dinner was at six, the boy said nothing. Why Question Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

magnum

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:10 am
i don't know if I understand the 1st one correctly, but i think,

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
6 2 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

second one: The father wasn't talking to the boy, therefor the boy dind't hear it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:11 am
Tryagain wrote:

TTH wrote, "Tryagain, (Please don't be so formal, just call me bunnykin's)

A boy has a peculiar quirk; he repeats everything he hears. However, when his father said dinner was at six, the boy said nothing. Why Question Rolling Eyes

Bunnykins? (strange, but strange can be good) Embarrassed Embarrassed
The answer is he didn't hear him.

This trivia nerd has a question for you.
A mathematician by mistake solved an "impossible" problem as a homework assignment, inspiring a modern urban myth. Who was that
mathmatician?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 12:24 pm
Magnum:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
6 2 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 Cool Cool

second one: The father wasn't talking to the boy, therefore the boy didn't hear it. Cool

Howdy Magnum, good to see ya, still as sharp as ever. I hope you are well.

TTH:
The answer is he didn't hear him. Cool

"Bunnykins?" Shocked

Sorry, that was a typo, it should have read; Voldemortkins Razz

I have just seen the trivia nerd question - I will give is due consideration.

Two trains, 150 miles part, are approaching each other on the same track, each traveling 75 mph. (Do not try this at home)

A very fast bee, perched on the front of train A, begins to fly at a speed of 137.5 mph toward train B; on reaching train B, it reverses direction, always flying at the same speed of 137.5 mph, until it once more reaches train A, whereupon it again reverses direction and flies toward train B, and so on.

You might not beelieve this beehavior beecause it's beeyond beelief.
However, bee that as it may, how far does the bee fly beefore it and the two trains collide Question

An interesting twist to this problem: same question but have the bee travel at 37.5 mph instead of 137.5 mph Question

This is the only type of cheese that is made backwards. What kind is it Question
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 12:39 pm
Tryagain wrote:

This is the only type of cheese that is made backwards. What kind is it Question

okay Voldemortkins, I rather call you Liebling Embarrassed Embarrassed

Edam.

Can I have something better? :wink:
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:11 pm
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 05:52 pm
Tryagain wrote:

I like the word LIEbling, you are quite clever. Hmm interesting question and the answer is yes, it is possible to determine is you are lying or telling the truth.
Would you like to know why?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:34 pm
Mathematician

It was probably[size=7] George Dantzig.[/size]

"Would you like to know why?"

The whole world is waitingÂ…
It is a riddle and has a perfectly logical explination. :wink:
0 Replies

thoh13

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:04 pm
BEE

the trains will collide in 150/(75+75) or 1 hr.

fast bee: in that time the bee will fly 137.5 miles

slow bee:
case 1: its too slow and gets hit by the train and so it 'flies' glued to the windshield for 75miles
case 2: the bee flies out of the way and flies along the track for 37.5 miles at which point the trains collide 37.5 miles away but the bee lives.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:08 pm
I already know why. I was just wondering if you did. Laughing Laughing

"The whole world is waiting,,,". I doubt that very much.

The answer is: you have to be lying because if you weren't then what you said is true. With that said, it would be a lie. This is a contradiction. You can still lie about some things, this being one of them.

Maybe you can say it better. Apparently I am not logical. I picture these things in my mind, but I do not know why. Maybe I only have 1/2 a brain and can still think? Is this possible? Very Happy
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:10 pm
I'll say you can't tell. The statement could be interpreted to refer to future statements ("will be").

TTH: Are you going to share the alternate solution to the Chicago/Detroit trips?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:34 pm
markr wrote:

TTH: Are you going to share the alternate solution to the Chicago/Detroit trips?

I am an unqualified trivia nerd, you are the hunky mathematician. Very Happy
0 Replies

thoh13

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:47 pm
Following is an array of integers where each row has one more number than the row above it.

2 3
4 5 6

What is the sum of the number above 50 and the number below 100?
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 10:59 pm
TTH: You're not going to make me grovel are you? Sad

Try: This is your thread. Make her tell me!
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:37 pm
THOH13'S ARRAY OF INTEGERS

[size=8]The number n is at row:
R(n) = int[(1+sqrt(8*n))/2]

The number n is at column:
C(n) = n - (R(n)-1)*R(n)/2

The number at row r, column c is:
N(r,c) = r*(r-1)/2 + c

We want N(R(50)-1,C(50)) + N(R(100)+1,C(100)).

R(50) = 10
C(50) = 5
N(9,5) = 41

R(100) = 14
C(100) = 9
N(15,9) = 114

41 + 114 = 155
[/size]
0 Replies

thoh13

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:21 am
markr:

Quote:
The number n is at row:
R(n) = int[(1+sqrt(8*n))/2]

The number n is at column:
C(n) = n - (R(n)-1)*R(n)/2

The number at row r, column c is:
N(r,c) = r*(r-1)/2 + c

We want N(R(50)-1,C(50)) + N(R(100)+1,C(100)).

R(50) = 10
C(50) = 5
N(9,5) = 41

R(100) = 14
C(100) = 9
N(15,9) = 114

41 + 114 = 155

amazing!... i just drew the array haha....and yes correct!

<JARS>
I have three jars that can hold integer liter amounts of water. I also have some water. I can either (1) fill one of the jars, (2) fill two of the jars halfway, or (3) fill all three jars a third of the way. What is the least amount of water I can have?
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:09 am
THOH13'S JARS

[size=8]Either I'm missing something, or this is trivial. If each jar holds one liter (I assume the integers are positive), then you can have as little as one liter of water.[/size]
0 Replies