ICE CUBES
remain constant
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:18 am
Mark:
FLY
150 miles Cool

The easy way is as follows: Since the trains are 200 miles apart and each train is going 50 miles an hour, it takes 2 hours for the trains to collide. Therefore the fly was flying for two hours.

Since the fly was flying at a rate of 75 miles per hour, the fly must have flown 150 miles. That's all there is to it.

When this problem was posed to John von Neumann [1903-1957, Hungarian/US mathematician and scientist], he immediately replied, "150 miles." "It is very strange," said the poser, "but nearly everyone tries to sum the infinite series." "What do you mean, strange?" asked Von Neumann. "That's how I did it!"

ICE CUBES
remain constant Cool

The mass of the ice cubes in the ship would have caused the ship to sit lower in the water. Once the ice cubes were taken off the ship it would rise in the water, thus the water level would drop as there was not as much ship displacing it.

Once the ice cubes are in the water they melt and make the water level rise, but it will only rise to the level it was at as the mass of water/ice remains constant whether in the boat or melted in the water.

What is the degree of the highest exponent of K when you complete the operation: Question

(K-A)(K-B)(K-C)...(K-Y)(K-Z)

Two kids, John and Tim, are running on an escalator (a moving stairway). John is running three times as fast as Tim, and by the time they are off the escalator, John has stepped on 75 stairs while Tim has stepped on 50 stairs.

How many stairs does the escalator have Question

How is its speed related to the speed of the boys Question

Were they running with or against the escalator Question
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:59 am
EXPONENT
Since the product is zero, K doesn't have an exponent (or it has any exponent you wish with a coefficient of zero).

ESCALATOR
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16663&start=1320
0 Replies

sjig

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 01:33 am
2. 9 circles 3x3

Since the nine circles are not points you can draw a three line zigzag and connect all 9 circles.

sjig
0 Replies

sjig

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 01:37 am
my guesses:

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge. true

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear. true

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue. true

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours. false

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. false

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. true

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes. false

A snail can sleep for three years. false

sjig
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:11 am
Mark:
EXPONENT Cool
Since the product is zero, K doesn't have an exponent (or it has any exponent you wish with a coefficient of zero). Cool

Very clever. Laughing

ESCALATOR
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16663&start=1320 Shocked

Oh! Come on, October 04. I cant remember what I had for breakfast. Still, good answer first time round. Good answer second time round as well. Laughing

Sjig
2. 9 circles 3x3

Since the nine circles are not points you can draw a three line zigzag and connect all 9 circles. Cool

I doubt anyone would disagree. Laughing

Sjig; my guesses:

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge. true Cool

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear. True
FALSE- Depends on species as to how many muscles move the ear.
There are NONE in the ear itself.

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue. True Cool
Its 'tongue' is attached to the roof of its mouth.

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours. False Cool
They can live up to seven years.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. False Cool
As yet unproved, but likely false.

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. true Cool

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes. false Cool
Most sharks cannot 'blink' at all. Others roll their eyes forward for protection.

A snail can sleep for three years. False Cool

Congratulations Sjig, not a lot of folks knew that. Laughing

(If anyone has seen anything similar - please leave the room)

Three dark corridors (of the same length) meet in a small room. A cop is trying to catch a bum there. The cop runs with speed 2 meters per second, while the bum can only make one meter per second. The cop has a weak flashlight - it lights only 1 meter of space.

What is the maximum corridor length for which the cop has a winning strategy against the bum Question

E.g. if all the corridors are just 1 meter, then the cop will stand in the room, light the corridors one after another and catch the bum.

For all integers numbers m,
((m - 1) & (- m - 1)) + 1 == m & -m

Let X and Y be two independent, identically distributed random variables with zero mean, which are more likely to be positive than to be negative.
Obviously, their sum X+Y also has zero mean, but is it necessarily more likely to be positive than to be negative Question

Just for fun: True/False

Al Capones's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
0 Replies

markr

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:52 am
CORRIDORS
Oct 13 Wink

X AND Y
no - consider the distribution:
P(1) = 2/3
P(-2) = 1/3
P(X+Y is negative) = 5/9

JUST FOR FUN
almonds - true
butterflies - true
0 Replies

markr

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 01:54 pm

Both sides seem to be the largest power of 2 that divides m.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 05:28 am
Mark:
CORRIDORS
Oct 13

I appear stuck in a time machine. Shocked

X AND Y
no - consider the distribution: Cool
P(1) = 2/3
P(-2) = 1/3
P(X+Y is negative) = 5/9

5/9 or 4/9 who cares.

The answer is no. Consider the random variables that take the positive value 1/p with probability p, and the negative value -1/q with probability q=1-p (thus the mean is 0). Since we know that the variables are more likely to be positive than to be negative, we know that p > 1/2 > q, thus 1/p - 1/q < 0. Therefore, for the sum X+Y to be positive, both variables must be positive, X=Y=1/p, which happens with probability p*p, which does not have to be bigger that 1/2 when p > 1/2.

E.g., when p=2/3, P(X+Y>0) = 4/9 < 1/2.

Both sides seem to be the largest power of 2 that divides m. Cool

Both sides are equal to the largest power of 2 which divides m, call it M=M(m)=2r(m) where r(m) is the ruler function. To see this, write m in binary, then it ends with a 1 and some (possibly none) 0s (this 1 and these 0s are exactly the binary representation of M). -m, written in Two's Complement, is the same sequence inverted (i.e., 1 is replaced with 0 and 0 with 1) and 1 added, i.e., it ends with the same number of 0s as m (which should not be too surprising since, obviously, M(-m)=M(m)), thus, when you take m & -m, you get M. Similar logic works for the left hand side as well.

JUST FOR FUN
almonds - true Laughing
butterflies - true Laughing

A couple is determined to have at least one son and at least one daughter. What is the expected total number of children they will have Question

You have two (2) identical glass balls and a 100-storey building. If you drop such a ball from the a certain floor, it might break (obviously, if it breaks when dropped from the ith floor, it will also break when dropped from all floors above it.

You have to find such a floor that the balls do not break when dropped from the floors below it, but do break when dropped from it and floors above it. You may expend both balls.

What is the minimum number of drops you will have to make Question

There are 1000 lockers (all locked) and 1000 kids, who lock the unlocked lockers and unlock the locked ones.

The first kid touches (i.e., opens) each locker. The second kid touches (i.e., locks) all even lockers.

The third kid touches (i.e., opens the locked ones and closes the unlocked ones) all lockers with number divisible by 3.

The fourth kid touches the lockers number 4, 8, 12 etc. After the 1000th kid locks (or unlocks, if it was locked already) the locker number 1000, how many lockers are open Question

TRUE or FALSE

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an average of 6 months waiting at red lights.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:48 am
P(X+Y is negative) = 5/9

5/9 or 4/9 who cares. Surprised

These are equivalent statements.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
Glass balls: Two drops, if you're lucky enough to guess right....

Boys/Girls: None. The father lost his balls in a freak riddle accident.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:40 pm
Domesticated animals. False

Waiting at red lights. True

Eyes open. True..(it's true for me)

Scissors. Shocked
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
Try: "I appear stuck in a time machine."

I think you're just twitterpated over that belly-baring paulaj.

DrewDad: "Boys/Girls: None. The father lost his balls in a freak riddle accident."

That's the best answer I've ever seen in this forum!

GLASS BALLS
I think I've seen this answered here. I know I've seen it at another site. If I remember right, the correct answer is 14.

LOCKERS
I know this has been done here. These lockers aren't square, are they?

BOY/GIRL
I get a number that is indistinguishable from 3.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:07 am
Markr wrote:
"I think you're just twitterpated over that belly-baring paulaj.

Twitterpated, what is that?..... Tryagains eyes rove paulajs avatar? Shocked Thats exciting dear. Laughing

< with a smug and cavalier attitude --> :wink: <-- paulaj leans back in puter chair, puts hands behind head,...and then wonders why she is derailing this thread again! Shocked > [size=7]I promised myself I wasn't going to do this, again![/size]
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:05 am
Haven't you ever seen Bambi? In the Spring, the animals start "falling in love." The owl says they're twitterpated.

"I promised myself I wasn't going to do this, again!"

Apparently that was a piecrust promise (surely you've seen Mary Poppins).
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:01 am
"I appear stuck in a time machine" Shocked

Sounds like an illusion. Razz

In the last 4,000 years. False

Red lights. True

Sneeze. True

Leonardo. False
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:48 am
I have only just returned home, where did that night go? Anyhow, I gotta get me a shower and black coffee, then I will return to sort out the answers from reality.

I also have to check out that little Turtle with a wicked sense of humour. Laughing

Belay that me harties, what I meant was, the reality of the answers from the questions.

P(X+Y is negative) = 5/9

These are equivalent statements.

Indeed they are. However, if my solution does not match your answer, I get a horrendous amount of mail demanding to know why! Which if nothing else proves anyone can ask a question. However, the laurels go with the answer. Cool
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:25 pm
Horrendous???
Must be PMs because I generate at most one. Razz

"I have only just returned home, where did that night go?"
You weren't north of Boston, were you? Twisted Evil
0 Replies