The worlds first riddle!

sjig

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:58 am
markr wrote:
Here's one I got at another site:

Adam is 8kg heavier than Eve, and Cain is 4kg heavier than Abel. The sum of the weights of the heaviest and lightest is 2kg less than the sum of the weights of the other two. The sum of all four weights is 402kg. How much does each person weigh?

Adam 104 kg
Eve 96 kg
Cain 103 kg
Abel 99 kg

sjig
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:36 am
Tryagain wrote:

"Yes, that wood be very nice but, I could not axe you to spoil your hands, leave it to me. I have a packet of firelighters. - got a light?"

I have been axed to do alot more than chop wood at times Shocked

Yes, I have a light, in fact, I have a perfect match, let me know when you need it. Laughing
0 Replies

markr

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:19 am
ABCDEF
Very good. I was looking for all but the seventh one (leading zero...).

LEMONADE
You switched from cents to dollars!!!

GLOVES
first op: both gloves on (side A1 against hand, side B2 against patient)
second op: take off glove B (side A1 against hand, side A2 against patient)
third op: reverse glove B and put it over glove A (side A1 against hand, side B1 against patient)

HOT
Pull the plug and open the refrigerator door.

REMAINDER
0 Replies

markr

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:22 am
sjig:
"Adam 104 kg
Eve 96 kg
Cain 103 kg
Abel 99 kg" Very Happy

yep!
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:26 am
0 Replies

markr

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:20 am
WEIGHT PROBLEM
Yes, the other site had the answer (several times).

CHURNS
12, 33, 9

DAY-TRIPPERS
900 people in 100 minibuses

DINERS
Sam: 220
Betty: 160
Charles: 190
Dolores: 150
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
Tryagain wrote:

"Well, could you light the kerosene burner of the old tractor, and we will mossy on over to the motel." Laughing

Shocked Do I look like a motel kind of girl-----> Very Happy I would rather mossy through a field, it must be the bovine in me, yeah.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:01 am
Continuing story of country folk:

Paula (with an air of disdain) writes;
"Do I look like a motel kind of girl-----> "

No way, it's just that the shop next door sells the candles. Laughing

"I would rather mossy through a field, it must be the bovine in me, yeah."

I'll git me my spurs. Eehawww……………but wait!
I am somewhat surprised you turned up here today. What with you carrying on, first with a Parisian lover, and now with;

"Paula <Grabs Husker by the cheeks and kisses his forehead>"

He is complaining that his cheeks hurt so much, he can barely sit down. Shocked

Mark:
DINERS Cool
Sam: 220
Betty: 160
Charles: 190
Dolores: 150

The explanation: You start with Sam being 60 lbs. heavier than Betty (a = b + 60) and Charlie being 40 lbs. heavier than Dolores (c = d + 40) Then proceed with the following equations that involve collecting like terms:
First equation:
.b + 60 + b = d + 40 + d + 40
2b + 60. = 2d + 80
. -2d -2d
--- ---
2b + 60 -2d = 80
-60 -60
--- ---
2b - 2d = 20

Second equation:
b + 60 + b + d + 40 + d = 720
2b + 100 + 2d = 720
- 100 -100
----- ----
2b + 2d = 620
Then:
2b - 2d = 20
plus 2b + 2d = 620
------- ---
4b = 640
(4b)/4 = (640)/4
(Betty)b = 160
Once you find Betty's weight, the others can be computed easily.

Mark:
CHURNS Cool
12, 33, 9

Mark:
DAY-TRIPPERS Cool
900 people in 100 minibuses

High fives:

A 5 by 5 square lattice is formed by drilling holes in a piece of wood. Three pegs are placed in this lattice at random.

What is the probability that three randomly chosen points of a 5 by 5 lattice will form a triangle Question

Working from left to right in a number, if the next digit is greater in value than the preceding digit, we say that the digits are strictly increasing: 15689, 35679, and 13478 are examples of 5-digit numbers with this property.

Given a number has strictly increasing digits, what is the probability that it contains 5-digits Question

A box contains a mixture of black and Green discs, with more black than Green discs. A game is played by taking one disc at a time, at random, and without replacement. If an equal number of each colour have been removed the game stops and the player wins.

It is found that the player has an equal chance of winning or losing.

If the box contains twelve discs in total, what is the number of black discs Question
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:27 pm
Tryagain wrote:

Paula (with an air of disdain) writes;
"Do I look like a motel kind of girl-----> "
No way, it's just that the shop next door sells the candles.
Laughing
"I'll git me my spurs. Eehawww……………but wait!
"I am somewhat surprised you turned up here today. What with you carrying on, first with a Parisian lover, and now with;

"Paula <Grabs Husker by the cheeks and kisses his forehead>"

Contortion Alert!---^

Francis duped me, I honestly and truly thought he was being a gentleman, I'm innocent. Husker, has been in the hospital, and has gone through a rough time, I kissed the cheeks on his face like a mother would do for her own child, again, totally innocent on my part.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm
HIGH FIVES
2148/2300

INCREASING DIGITS
126/511 if single digit numbers are included
126/502 otherwise

DISCS
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:28 am
Continuing story of country folk:

Paula wrote:

"Contortion Alert!---^"

Ah! Your into yoga I see, nice. That's strange, I usually have toast and coffee. The others; Dopey: Grumpy: Doc: Bashful Sneezy, and Sleepy are getting jealous, me! I'm Happy. Laughing

"Francis duped me, I honestly and truly thought he was being a gentleman, I'm innocent."

I see that now, I should have known the two dozen roses were not for his goldfish.

"I kissed the cheeks on his face like a mother would do for her own child, again, totally innocent on my part."

I understand, you are indeed an angel of mercy. He is only six…right?

I think you have something in your eye, here, let me help you. <whistle> Is that a train I hear on derail? Or, are you just whistling Dixie?

Trickiedixie. Laughing
(Edited 134 times to cause confusion.)

Mark:
HIGH FIVES
2148/2300 Cool

There are 25C3 = 2300 ways of picking three points from twenty-five. However, some of the sets will be collinear, and this can happen in a number of ways.

Along each vertical, horizontal, and main diagonal:
125C3 = 12×10 = 120
Along the other diagonals:
4(4C3+3C3)=4(4+1)= 20
Then, there are twelve more:
2300 − (120+20+12) = 2148, hence the probability of three random points forming a triangle will be 2148/2300 = 537/575 ≈ 0.934.

Mark:
INCREASING DIGITS Cool Cool
126/511 if single digit numbers are included
126/502 otherwise

Each non-empty subset taken from {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} represents each of the possible numbers with strictly increasing digits, and in turn each of these subsets can be represented by a 9-digit binary string. For example, 124789 has strictly increasing digits and can be represented by the string 110100111.

In this way we can see that there are 29=512 binary strings, but as one of these strings would be the empty set, there are 511 numbers containing strictly increasing digits that exist in total.

Next we note that a 5-digit number with strictly increasing digits can be represented by selecting a subset of size 5 from {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}; there are 9C5 = 126 ways this can be done.

Hence the probability of a number with strictly increasing digits containing exactly 5-digits is 126/511=18/73.

Mark:
DISCS Cool

Let the total number of blacks discs in the box be b and the number of Green discs be w.

Clearly if b=w, the player would win every time; and for this problem we are given that b>w.

We shall express a win by the use of strings; for example, the sequence:
W, WW, WWB, WWBW, WWBWB, WWBWBB produces the winning string, WWBWBB, that contains three of each colour.

For each winning string, it will only contain an equal number of black and Green discs for the first time when the final disc in the string is taken. For example, WBBW does not represent a valid winning string, as it contained an equal number of black and Green discs after the second disc was taken. Therefore, given a winning string, we can safely invert the string to obtain a different winning string.

For example, WWBWBB and BBWBWW are dual winning strings. Hence there are an equal number of winning strings that start with B and W.

As there are more black discs than Green discs, any string starting with W must be a winning string; there will always be enough B's to eventually match the number of W's before the final disc in the box is taken.

P(1st disc W) = w/(b+w), hence P(winning) = 2w/(b+w), where b≥w.
Therefore solving 2w/(b+w) = 1/2, leads to b = 3w.
As b+w = 3w+w = 4w = 12 ⇒ w = 3. Hence there are 3 Green discs and 9 black discs in the box.

Idea Mark, you are a friggin genius. Whatever you are being paid, it aint enough.

A bag contains n discs, made up of red and blue colours. Two discs are removed from the bag.

If the probability of selecting two discs of the same colour is 1/2, what can you say about the number of discs in the bag Question

Jane shows John four playing cards: Ace of Spades, Two of Clubs, Three of Diamonds, and Four of Hearts. She shuffles the cards and places them face down on a table.

"I would like you to select two cards at random. If you select two cards of the same colour, I'll give you $1, if they're different, you give me $1.
As there are two possible outcomes, we both stand an equal chance of winning $1." suggests Jane with a cheeky smile.

John's friend, James, secretly advises John, "Actually, there are three possible outcomes: black and red, black and black, red and red. As two of these outcomes is a win for you, I'd go for it!"

By finding the actual probability of John winning, show that neither Jane nor James are correct Question

Three Green candles and two black candles can be arranged in a number of ways in a pentagon shaped candelabra.

If the candles are placed at random, what is the probability that the three Green candles will be adjacent Question

Six intrepid explorers traveled to various parts of the world hoping to find new places and places that time had forgotten, unfortunately they all came to a rather fateful end, but not necessarily where and how you would expect.

Months spent traveling: 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 12

What was each explorer's name, how many months had each explorer been traveling what place did they travel too and what was the cause of death; one being starvation Question

Fearless Dan went to Swampy Creek for 2 months longer than the explorer who died of a viral illness. Whoever died from a high fall (after climbing a tree to rescue a sloth, was this in the Rain Forest) traveled for less time than the person who died from Food Poisoning.

Valiant Jack traveled for 2 months less than the explorer eaten by a crocodile. Adventuresome Sam traveled for 1 month less than the explorer who went to the Frozen Wasteland. The explorer who went 'Sailing the Oceans' was away for the longest before succumbing to his fate. The explorer who died after 3 months didn't travel to the Long Lost City.

Barry Brave did not die of Food Poisoning. Courageous Fred traveled for 3 months more than Daring Derek. The explorer who visited the Dirty Desert traveled for 6 months more than the person who died of Hypothermia after they tripped over a seal and plunged head first through thin ice.

Name. Place. Cause of Death. Months Traveling.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:04 am
Candles:
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:23 am
DISCS
The number of discs is square.

JANE/JOHN
1/3
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:45 am
EXPLORERS
Jack, Long Lost City, hypothermia, 1
Sam, Rain Forest, eaten by crocodile, 3
Derek, Frozen Wasteland, viral illness, 4
Dan, Swampy Creek, high fall, 6
Fred, Dirty Desert, food poisoning, 7
Barry, Sailing the Oceans, starvation, 12
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 02:33 am
Paula (does not) write, "That's not Dixie I'm whistleing"

Are we playing Name That Tune?

"busted again."

AGAIN! Ok, lets see your rap sheet before I get charged with transporting a minor across state lines, and have the Fed's on my case. Shocked

DrewDad: Cool
Candles:

Mark: Cool
DISCS
The number of discs is square.

JANE/JOHN
1/3 Cool

EXPLORERS Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Jack, Long Lost City, hypothermia, 1
Sam, Rain Forest, eaten by crocodile, 3
Derek, Frozen Wasteland, viral illness, 4
Dan, Swampy Creek, high fall, 6
Fred, Dirty Desert, food poisoning, 7
Barry, Sailing the Oceans, starvation, 12

1. What does no man want yet no man wants to lose Question

2. Shaw drove into the Speedy Service Station and pulled up to the pumps. "Fill it up please," said Shaw. "This may sound strange," said the owner, "but I'd rather fill two cars from out of town than one car from this town." Shaw looked across the small town and replied, "I know just what you mean."

Why would the owner feel this way Question

3. Ben can never tell a lie. George can never tell the truth. One of them said, "The other one said he is George."

Which one said that Question

4. When can you add two to eleven and get one as the correct answer Question

Problem:

You have a grid of 9 circles 3x3

Can you join all the circles with 3 straight lines, without lifting your pen from the paper Question

Two identical sized 'solid' cylinders. One cylinder is made of Aluminium and the other is made from Lead.

The aluminium cylinder is completely solid, but in order to make the weight of the two cylinders identical, the lead cylinder has been hollowed out (leaving the outside and the ends intact) . Both cylinders are painted with non-removable paint.

Without damaging the cylinders, how can you easily find out which cylinder is made from aluminium and which from lead Question

(I'm afraid both the cylinders sound the same when hit).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:38 am
1. I can think of no thing that would match the conditions.
3. George.
4. On a clock.

Circles: Yes. You have to go outside the grid, and you will not connect the centers of the circles.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:58 am
Shocked oops
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:36 am
oops double post
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 11:21 am
1. Everything
2. He'll likely sell more gas if he fills two cars instead of one.

CYLINDERS
The rotational inertia of the lead cylinder will be greater than that of the aluminum cylinder; so the aluminum cylinder will roll faster down a slope.
0 Replies