Swollen knee

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:18 pm
I injured my knee right before Thanksgiving. I didn't break or sprain anything, just banged it up carrying a basket downstairs (forgot about the last step). The bruises and pain disappeard, now I am getting fluid buildup around the knee cap. Doctor drained it twice, removed a considerable amount of fluid and now I'm wearing a brace to keep the leg immobile. I see the Doctor in a couple weeks and he told me the last time that if the fluid returns he may want to perform surgery to eliminate the busa that keeps filing up. For a bunch of reasons, I'm trying to avoid surgery and looking for a more conservative way to treat the problem. The fluid is a problem, not because it hurts, but because it can get infected.

Has anyone had an experience with swollen bursa that was successfully treated?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,668 • Replies: 3
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:30 pm
@glitterbag,
Hi, Glitterbag.

I keep running into knee trouble myself every now and then - well, even right now, I'm dealing with an issue - but I've never faced anything of the sort you described.

Perhaps, if you are trying to avoid surgery - and for good reason - it might help to get a second opinion, say, from a physical therapist or a sports medicine doctor. See what they say. If everyone concludes that surgery is the best remedy, you have no choice IMO. But I totally understand your reluctance to go under the knife.

Good luck and keep us posted!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 03:41 pm
@glitterbag,
Ask your doctor about a compression bandage that they sell at corner drugstores. You want one that DOES NOT have an opening for the knee cap. That should control the swelling. I am not an expert (but have had knee problems) so ask you doctor if this would help.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:19 am
@engineer,
Thanks engineer and spidergirl, but I am wearing a compression bandage under the brace. The brace keeps the knee immobile, and keeps the swelling from returning full force. I will be seeking a second opinion, I'm scheduled for surgery (small procedure, but requires full on anesthesia) next tuesday, (has nothing to do with the knee) and the other doc will have to wait until I have that matter taken care of, I just need to move the 3 week appt. out another week. Thank you both for taking the time to address my problem. I hope you don't think I was tossing your suggestions out, because with the sparse information I provided, you both gave me good advice. Thanks again, gb
0 Replies