meaning of a sentence

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:37 am
"I hasten to add that loving oneself doesn't mean that we are perfect, fixed, all together, or any of those other common phrases." What's the meaning of this sentence, especially the "fixed, all together...common phrases" part?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,595 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:20 am
The sentence means that one can love one's self, while still acknowledging that one is flawed, that one is not perfect.

The phrase " . . . perfect, fixed, all together, or any of those other common phrases" refers to various ways that one might suggest that one is without fault, that one is perfect. The author is asserting that these are common phrases. I don't agree, because what we see here are words, not phrases--nevertheless, the author is asserting that there are common phrases by which one claims to be perfect, to be without fault, but that those ideas are not relevant to loving one's self. Once again, one can love one's self without being perfect, and that is what the author seeks to emphasize.
Justin Xu

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:33 am
@Setanta,
Thank you. I understand what you mean. The paragraph goes like this "I hasten to add that loving oneself doesn't mean that we are perfect, fixed, all together, or any of those other common phrases. It means we are fully alive to our humanness - accepting, compassionate, amused."

So maybe I can paraphrase the sentence as "One can love oneself, but this doesn't mean that he or she is perfect or flawless. We don't love ourselves because we are perfect, but because we can realize the best of us, the good qualities in us, such as generosity, compassion, and optimism."

Is that right?
JTT

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:57 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
because what we see here are words, not phrases--

perfect, fixed, all together is a phrase, Set, as you yourself noted.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:59 am
@Justin Xu,
That's a good paraphrase, Justin.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:04 pm

The original sentence is not good English, not good style; which of course makes it more difficult to understand.
It may have been written by a foreigner.
JTT

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:52 pm
@McTag,
Your one track admonition is as dumb as the one that issues frequently from Setanta, McTag. Can't you language gurus come up with something original?

I hasten to add that loving oneself doesn't mean that we are perfect, fixed, all together, or any of those other common phrases.

Excerpted from If the Buddha Dated by Charlotte Kasl. Copyright © 1999 by Charlotte Kasl. Excerpted by permission of Penguin Putnam, Inc.

Charlotte Kasl
Charlotte Kasl, Ph.D., a practicing therapist and nationally recognized workshop leader for more than 20 years, has had lifelong connections to feminism, Buddhism, Quaker practice, and Reiki healing. The author of several books including Finding Joy, she lives in Lolo, Montana

http://www.spiritsite.com/writing/chakas/part11.shtml
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:02 am
Quote:
Charlotte Sophia Kasl, PhD, (née Davis, AKA Charlotte Davis Kasl) is a U.S. psychologist and author.

McTag was right. A foreigner. Nobody mangles words quite like American psychologists. Especially the ones who write about Buddhism.

JTT

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:21 pm
@contrex,
Explain the problems with the sentence, Contrex.

[Contrex will now run fast anf far.]
McTag

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@JTT,

Compare and contrast the camel and the horse.

Easy to see, more difficult to describe.
JTT

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:21 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Compare and contrast the camel and the horse.

Easy to see, more difficult to describe.

That's nothing but pure, unadulterated piffle, McTag.
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:24 pm
@McTag,
That's pretty simple, actually--a camel is a horse designed by a committee.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 08:07 am
@JTT,

Quote:
That's nothing but pure, unadulterated piffle, McTag.

I am so wounded. My piffle is as adulterated as anyone else's.

But I think you will find you are wrong in this, as in so many other matters.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:35 pm
@McTag,
You always seem to miss the part where you explain yourself, McTag.
McTag

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 04:56 pm
@JTT,

You want an explanation about good style in English?
You are kidding me.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 08:28 pm
@McTag,
No, not at all, McTag. But it's only fair that you offer something more than the setanta "it's bad writing" meme.

That's one of the main reasons that all these nonsensical prescriptions gained any traction. Because if those jokers had had to offer any measure of proof, they wouldn't have lasted a day.
McTag

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:42 am
@JTT,

I hear you, but I come at this general topic from a different direction.
In this particular case, I say if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. Or in this case, a turkey.

I sympathise with these foreigners who come up against the sweepings of adademia in print, and try to make sense of their ramblings and posturings, semi-literate in many cases.

Good style is recognisable to the general and critical reader: bad style likewise. Whether or not the passage is comprehensible is a different matter.
0 Replies