What is the point of coming on here to talk down to people?

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:41 am
Seriously, it's always been the case but it's annoyed me today. There's probably been a similar discussion to this, but that's because this site is FULL of people who just come on here to belittle people, and as well as finding it pathetic, I really don't see the point. It's happened to me about ten times now What IS the point? I always thought this site was about growth. If someone posts an argument full of pot-holes, then why not just point them out instead of being an arse about it?

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:48 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Full? I disagree that it's full of folks who talkdown to people. I think you may run into more of that because you hang out on the philosophy threads where the tone (and maybe the people) tend to be more arrogant and condescending than the site at large.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:11 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I think the majority of people are of good intent. A few trolls make the entire site feel like a battleground but that is what the ignore button is for.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:16 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

What is the point of coming on here to talk down to people?

I do it for social contact mostly, not to find arguing points.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:21 am
I have learned to ignore the people who get their jollies by making snide remarks. That's their problem, and has nothing to do with me.

Funny thing. Sometimes a person will criticize something that I have written in an objective, kindly way. I am much more likely to think about what the person has written, then if the post was full of vitriol.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:37 am
vitriol
Now there's a word for 2011.
but I'm already tired of it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Funny thing. Sometimes a person will criticize something that I have written in an objective, kindly way. I am much more likely to think about what the person has written, then if the post was full of vitriol.

It's 'than' not 'then' you sweet lovable bitch.

Wink
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:13 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
If someone posts an argument full of pot-holes, then why not just point them out instead of being an arse about it?

I think that one of the reasons people choose to garnish their posts with insult is to get a response.

A
R
T
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 07:03 pm
@failures art,
I believe you're correct Fail art.

Oh? BTW: And your mama wears combat boots!! Surprised
failures art

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Aw heck naw! Dems fightin' wurds!
R
T
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:25 am
JPB says,
Quote:
the philosophy threads where the tone (and maybe the people) tend to be more arrogant and condescending than the site at large.

You think so, do you, JPB?
Try hanging out on the politics threads. You ain't seen nothin' yet.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:28 am
@failures art,
Quote:
I think that one of the reasons people choose to garnish their posts with insult is to get a response.

I think is has to do with the fact that in most places on the net and in real life communication is managed/regulated/policed.....coming to A2K and being able to speak your mind/the truth is cathartic. I also think that A2K appeals to people who want that in their lives.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:35 am
I think it's because the internet attracts some people who are really just assholes and regular social interaction ostracizes them if they behave like that in real life, but there's no one to control that behavior online. They're the same kind of people who are soccer hooligans and schoolyard bullies.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:38 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
They're the same kind of people who are soccer hooligans and schoolyard bullies.
Are you in the habit of running across soccer hooligans an schoolyard bullies who attempt to back up their words with argument/fact/evidence and logic??

If so you live in a very strange world...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:46 am
You didn't read the initial post very carefully, did you, hawkeye? It's talking about "people who just come on here to belittle people", NOT the ones who back up their posts with evidence and logic:
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:58 am
@The Pentacle Queen,

Seriously, it's always been the case but it's annoyed me today. There's probably been a similar discussion to this, but that's because this site is FULL of people who just come on here to belittle people, and as well as finding it pathetic, I really don't see the point. It's happened to me about ten times now What IS the point? I always thought this site was about growth. If someone posts an argument full of pot-holes, then why not just point them out instead of being an arse about it?

You're correct. There is a lot of very bad behavior here. The question is whether it outweighs the positive things, which I guess is a personal decision.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:09 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
You didn't read the initial post very carefully, did you, hawkeye? It's talking about "people who just come on here to belittle people", NOT the ones who back up their posts with evidence and logic:
Ya, I being smarter than the average bear ignored that part because I know that PQ does not know the motivation of the people here, she only thinks that she does. There is a lot of belittling here by people who back up their opinions, especially in the political, science and philosophy threads where I tend to hang out.
failures art

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:21 am
it begins.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:28 am
I'd say "Hawkeye" is a contrarian. He mostly just wants to preen himself as the lone voice in the wilderness, speaking out against the "hypocrisy" and the "lies." So he comes here to disagree. For as much as i find his expressed opinions odious (in almost all cases), i'm willing to acknowledge that he usually doesn't deal in personal invective.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:30 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Your point is well taken, Queen.
U r right, but sometimes people post from weakness,
below acceptable social standards.
There is a small number of people who post here
who are not able to reason (one of whom has repudiated logic).

Sometimes (but not always) it can be fun to play with them,
but if u find someone intolerable, then in your discretion,
u can hurl him down into the dungeon of IGNORE.
In your unreviewable discretion,
u can do that on a permanent basis,
or for a designated time of your choice. I have done both.

If u don't want to do that,
then have fun with rolling with the punches
and going with the flow.

WHATAYATHINK ?
In any case, if someone else makes a social blunder,
don 't punish YOURSELF for his mistake.
Don 't take it to heart.

David
0 Replies