What is the point of coming on here to talk down to people?

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 04:52 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
You didn't read the initial post very carefully, did you, hawkeye? It's talking about "people who just come on here to belittle people", NOT the ones who back up their posts with evidence and logic:
Ya, I being smarter than the average bear ignored that part because I know that PQ does not know the motivation of the people here, she only thinks that she does. There is a lot of belittling here by people who back up their opinions, especially in the political, science and philosophy threads where I tend to hang out.

If I thought that I knew the motivations of the people here, why would I start the discussion?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 04:56 am
Oh sure, resort to logic . . . that is so unfair . . .

hehehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:04 am
some people just like be dicks and yank folks chains

<he said widening his eyes in a kind of "who me?" look, and slowly sidling away whistling softly>
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:29 am
What is the point of coming on here to talk down to people? I might assume it's to try and make themselves feel superior, however a sense of real accomplishment would be a much better goal.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:47 pm
@Chumly,
I made my own breakfass this morning.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:24 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Seriously, it's always been the case but it's annoyed me today. There's probably been a similar discussion to this, but that's because this site is FULL of people who just come on here to belittle people, and as well as finding it pathetic, I really don't see the point. It's happened to me about ten times now What IS the point? I always thought this site was about growth. If someone posts an argument full of pot-holes, then why not just point them out instead of being an arse about it?
Maybe it's you who misunderstand their intend, quote those guys and let's see if it's really that bad.

Seems I'm the only 1 that wants to hear both sides of the story, as any reasonable intelligent person should do.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:31 pm
@HexHammer,
Ill bet that you made your own breakfass this morning too.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:51 pm
@farmerman,
sausage n eggies
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
@dyslexia,
How can I talk down to that? A Mr Wizard Breakfass.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 03:02 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I agree with you. This website provides a forum for spirited debate, and I certainly have no problem with that. I don’t believe in political correctness. Needless to say, issues (regardless of how sensitive they are) should be discussed. I don’t even have a problem with some put-downs, as long as they’re witty. What’s sad, though, is that a few of the leading contributors to this forum are among the worst offenders. I’ve seen members personally attacked in the most demeaning terms not because they made morally offensive statements, but simply because they didn’t happen to share the opinions or preferences of those who attacked them. They have never made any apologies. I will admit that I’ve lost my temper in this forum several times since I started posting in the spring of 2009, but I’ve apologized each time (either by post or PM). What has amazed me is the arrogance and aggressiveness of some of the members. A relatively new member will be personally insulted if he even makes a perfectly innocuous comment. (Such keyboard kommandos would probably be less inclined to be so rude to strangers in real life. Unless, of course, they wanted to get punched in the nose.) Does any deliberately rude member ever make an effort by means of the PM function to communicate with the targeted member for the purpose of trying to possibly arrive at an understanding? (I mean, maybe someone has perfectly understandable reasons for believing what he or she believes.) Probably not, because insulting a complete stranger is so easier to do. And I suppose it’s a boost to one’s ego as well. As I said, I have no problem with spirited debate and discussions of sensitive topics or expressions of unpopular views. For example, although I find many of hawkeye10’s statements to be harsh, he does seem to be civil (at least most of the time); and I'm glad he's afforded the opportunity by means of this forum to express his views. He does not quite descend to the level of being quick to belittle someone at the slightest pretext or over an innocuous comment. Were it not for the “Ignore” feature of this forum, I wouldn’t be here now. I won’t put someone on “Ignore” simply because I disagree with him about some issue, but I will put someone on “Ignore” who personally attacks me with gutter language and who isn’t even witty enough to be funny about it.
0 Replies