How would this English phrase be translated to Latin??

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:32 pm
I would like help translating the phrase "Forever at my prime" into Latin. Not satisfied with my own efforts nor that of the 'machine translators' .Can anyone be of assistance? Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,943 • Replies: 10
No top replies

George

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:31 am
@mandomaniac,
Integra aetate in aeternum
mandomaniac

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:29 pm
@George,
George,
I certainly appreciate your help with this.....and both Region's and your patience with the awkward intrusion. I am definitely glad I did ask....your translation is significantly different than what I had been working with. Ignorance is NOT bliss when it comes to such matters.

This phrase will be used as somewhat of a 'double entendre' ....as it will be scrimshawed on an elaborately carved priming horn. I have used the phrase in English on these priming horns and liked it . It has become somewhat of a signature. Thought the Latin would be a wonderful touch if able to successfully compose a scrolled herald using it. Then again.....perhaps this effort will be as much 'wishful thinking' as the phrase! We shall see.....

Thanks again!

mandomaniac

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:59 pm
@mandomaniac,
@George:
It occurred to me that I should wait until you might catch my last note and see if it changes your thoughts at all. Does the intended 'double entendre' affect your translation? I hate to reveal my total ignorance of Latin, but I was heading down the Semper path......
Thanks again for bearing with me.
George

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:08 am
@mandomaniac,
I don't see the double entendre.
Can you elaborate?

As for semper, that means "always, at all times".
But in aeternum means "forever, into eternity".

~George
mandomaniac

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 09:01 am
@George,
Hello George,
I like the phrase because it implies the priming horn is 'always at my prime' (to prime the pan for flintlock) and >I< am always at my prime (wishfully speaking...sad to say!)
Not sure it would color your translation ....but figure it is worth sorting out.
I was having trouble with the word "prime" ..... Choices I came up with did not seem to work well...but then dictionaries and machines can't sort out subtleties.
Thanks so much for your generous assistance.
George

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 09:43 am
@mandomaniac,
In that case my translation doesn't do you any good. "At the prime" or "in one's
prime" are idiomatic English expressions. I translated with the equivalent Latin
idiomatic expression "integra aetate" which literally means "at the fresh age" or
"at the sound age". "Prime" doesn't enter into it at all. As for priming a
flintlock musket, I have no idea how to say that in Latin.

Sorry I couldn't help.
mandomaniac

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 12:38 am
@George,
George,
Actually, you have been very helpful.....and I have learned how difficult it can be to attempt to make Latin fit an English phrase. My feeble attempts, based on trying to translate individual words rather than the idiomatic expression, resulted in 'semper ad mea prima' .....which I am confident has you groaning (or worse) as you read this. Perhaps I will just have to be content with English!
Once again, I do thank you for sharing your expertise.
George

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:58 am
@mandomaniac,
You're welcome, mandomaniac.
Smeezer

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:42 pm
@George,
Hi, I also have a translation question;
I wanted to translate The monster does not live under the bed, the monster lives inside"

I thought a translation that while not exact carried a slightly more poetic but similar meaning could be
Fera non incolere infernus,
Fera incolere pectore

Does that say the beast does not dwell below the beast dwells in the heart? or something close? lol
George

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:32 am
@Smeezer,
I would make these changes:
Use the indicative incolit not the infinitive incolere.
Use the ablative inferno instead of infernus.
Latin word order usually places the verb at the end.
0 Replies