How is the conjunctive "and" used ...?

fansy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:28 am
Quote:
LOS ANGELES, May 1 — Hundreds of thousands of immigrants and their supporters skipped work, school and shopping on Monday and marched in dozens of cities from coast to coast.

In what sense is the conjunctive 'and' used in the above sentence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 814 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:44 am
@fansy,
In the sense that these people skipped work, school and shopping in order to join the march. It might have been better written.
Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:56 am
To make what i wrote more clear--"and" in the originally quoted material is used in the sense of "in order to."
fansy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of immigrants and their supporters skipped work, school and shopping on Monday and marched in dozens of cities from coast to coast.
Is "and" here not used in the sense of "but"?
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:22 am
The "and" simply connects two thoughts. Sample of compound sentence.

Hundreds / skipped work, school and shopping . . . and . . . marched

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:36 am
@fansy,
You could make the case--i'd not have thought so, but i see no objection to it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:41 pm
@fansy,
LOS ANGELES, May 1 — Hundreds of thousands of immigrants and their supporters skipped work, school and shopping on Monday and marched in dozens of cities from coast to coast.

Is "and" here not used in the sense of "but"?

=====================

Allowing for the moment, with some reserve, that a 'but' is possible, it certainly doesn't have the same sense as an 'and', Fansy.

'and' is used as the simplest, most neutral conjunction. Using other conjunctions, eg, but, because would change the meaning/nuance at least slightly.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:49 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It might have been better written.

Could you do us all a big favor, Set? Could you rewrite all of Shakespeare and all the novels back a couple of hundred years to correct what you see as poor writing.

This is the drivel that teachers who know [knew] little to nothing about language fall back on to scare students into submission and make their job easier. There's not much a student can do when faced with this absolute non-argument.

Everything "might" be better written.

See what I mean, ehBeth.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:33 pm
Hundreds of thousands of immigrants and their supporters skipped work, school and shopping on Monday, choosing instead to march in dozens of cities from coast to coast.
0 Replies