This =?

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:44 am

Collection = ? (the collection of the artificial proteins?)

Context:

Once the team had created this new library of artificial proteins, they inserted those proteins into various mutant strains of bacteria in which certain natural genes previously had been deleted. The deleted natural genes are required for survival under a given set of conditions, including a limited food supply. Under these harsh conditions, the mutant strains of bacteria died -- unless they acquired a life-sustaining novel protein from Hecht's collection. This was significant because formation of a bacterial colony under these selective conditions could occur only if a protein in the collection had the capacity to sustain the growth of living cells.

More:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110106145311.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 587 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 02:27 am
@oristarA,
As i read it, "this" refers to the entire sentence: "Under these harsh conditions, the mutant strains of bacteria died -- unless they acquired a life-sustaining novel protein from Hecht's collection."
oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 02:53 am
@Setanta,
Thanks.

And collection =?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 03:01 am
I would say collection refers to Hecht's "new library of artificial proteins."
oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:24 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I would say collection refers to Hecht's "new library of artificial proteins."

Thank you.

But it boils down to what is "library" now. Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:31 am
@oristarA,
You make too much of that. I didn't respond to that thread because you're overcomplicating the matter. The author has chosen to use the term library in this context, and it is interchangeable with collection. It's just another term for a designated set--in this case, a set of artificially created proteins. Get over it, the use of the word library was odd and quixotic, but there is no profound issue of meaning here.
oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You make too much of that. I didn't respond to that thread because you're overcomplicating the matter. The author has chosen to use the term library in this context, and it is interchangeable with collection. It's just another term for a designated set--in this case, a set of artificially created proteins. Get over it, the use of the word library was odd and quixotic, but there is no profound issue of meaning here.

Okay, thanks.

The collection is more or less like a toolkit there.
0 Replies