Who can paraphrase this sentence for me?

Nancy88

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:56 pm
My initial resolution to keep a daily gratitude list that would change my life
backfired in the best possible way. Instead of it making me happy, I use it as a wonderful tool to remind me to notice the beauty all around me.

What does the word "backfired" mean here?
BYW, here is the context relating the veru beginning of the author's gratitude list. I planned to write down three things a day that expressed my appreciation and love for the people and things around me. What began as a simple mission failed miserably by the end of January. Some days, I could not come up with one single thing for which to be grateful. On other days, I resented what my life withheld from me, instead of acknowledging the good already in it. What started as a positive exercise turned into a mental list of countless complaints and worries. Temporary family concerns and financial woes had turned me into an ungrateful sourpuss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 593 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:46 am
@Nancy88,
Backfire is a term that comes from old cars, when the fuel/air ratio was incorrect, the car would make a loud bang sound as it drove down the street.
But in this case it means that the writer made a resolution to see the good in life and found the opposite. Backfire means when you make plans and everything goes awry, failure.
Like planning a wedding in a tropical place and everybody gets sick, a hurricane hits, the ring gets lost... The plan backfired.
Nancy88

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:07 am
@Ceili,
So this sentence means that
Initially I set up this resolution to achieve something good, but it turned out that the resolution just made me felt bad.
Then why the author said in the following that "Instead of it making me happy, I use it as a wonderful tool to remind me to notice the beauty all around me."
This result seems like something very good and helpful.
Ceili

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:40 am
@Nancy88,
Yes, it wasn't exactly the outcome she was looking for. It did work out in the end because she chose to look on the bright side and see the roses... In the end, it backfired in the best possible way.Very Happy
0 Replies